More locally common, blue butterflies, please.

PhilBJohnson

More locally common, blue butterflies, please.

Post by PhilBJohnson »

September 20th 2023 (Seasonal Wild Seed Collecting timing for more butterfly life cycles.

In the UK, as far as I was aware, these were the rules:
“It's ok to gather seeds from flowers from meadows or hedges in the wild, as long as you do so in moderation, and only for your own use (not to sell)! However, it is against the law to remove or uproot the whole plant.”

What I was a little in fear of, was rules changing a bit, without me being aware (politically not funny for me).

Black Seed medic (Black medic) and Bird's-foot trefoil
Black Seed medic (Black medic) and Bird's-foot trefoil
These seeds were gathered today, in Lincolnshire, for our own use. They were gathered today in the rain.
They are the seed from primary larval food plants of the Common blue butterfly (Also other Lepidoptera species).
1.We will put them to fully dry indoors (possibly on a shallow tray, so they don't rot with lid on and moisture trapped inside).
2. We sowed straight away or in Spring in gritty compost (well drained) or a bare patch of ground, so that they did not compete with something which already has an established root.
3. One might try sowing at top of bank. These are plants that drop seed on long leafy arms, away from growing stem (but really, not very far away).
The gradient of bank and how far seed disperses, might depend on how hard it rains. Eventually more plants might be found at or near the bottom of the bank, where it is damper, if they don't compete much with other plants thriving there.
These plants are perennial, so might come back year after year. Collecting seed from a plant, found in a location where seed is less likely to germinate nearby, will help the plant reestablish it's leafy self as it reacts with less effort into viable seed forming from old flowers.
Bird's-foot trefoil had a long flowering period, possibly from May to September.
The darker seed pods, which dried more in hot weather, might contain, more seed, ready for sowing straight away.
To be sure of specific species Identification and not having collected a naturalised garden hybrid, that had escaped into the wild, then I recommended buying from a retailer with expertise like:
natures cape.co.uk
Also, if obtaining plug pant perennials with roots that will possibly flower the same year, then buy to support, with more of an instant leafy effect.

If one thinks it's a wild space, be aware who owns that wild space and we don't recommend collecting seed from private property without land owners permission, or without a relationship with that person or persons. As a gardener, if one was unfairly accused of taking something from a clients property without permission, better to work with someone else, than be lone working.

I didn't recommend walking all over a SSSI to collect seed.
One scientist did not want to study the results of that behaviour. Try to keep to a path.
I might say:
"leave SSI meadow cut and seed dispersal to land owner and Governing body, charitable organisation management relationships, (if there were any).
Kind Regards,

Return to “Common Blue”