Ahhhh ! Grasshopper !

Discussion forum for sightings.
Allan.W.

Ahhhh ! Grasshopper !

Post by Allan.W. »

I wonder if anyone out there "does " Grasshoppers ? butterflying was a bit slow on my local patch ,and i,d noticed as i walked about i was disturbing numerous Grasshoppers . Its a pretty good spot for them in this particular section of the wood ,and its an excellent spot for the scarce Woodland Grasshopper ,and i spotted a fair few on this visit .As i was wandering about i disturbed something much smaller but clearly a hopper of some description ..........I managed a few shots of the insect and recognised it as a Groundhopper species but i,m not sure which one ,i whittled it down to two .................... Slender or Cepero's ..............anyone have any ideas please ?
(excuse poor shot .....best i could manage !)
Allan.W. (Sorry about the 70's "Kung-fu " quote also ! )
P1370665.JPG
aeshna5

Re: Ahhhh ! Grasshopper !

Post by aeshna5 »

Certainly one of the 2 groundhoppers you mention. Cepero's is much rarer, so probably more likely to be Slender, but don't recall the distinguishing features.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Distinguishing features are slight differences in the shape of the head and (i think) femur of middle leg. I doubt its possible from this picture.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Many thanks for your thoughts Aeschna 5 and Bugboy ,and thanks for looking ! I,m leaning towards Slender myself ,and as you,ve suggested Bugboy ,head shape and central leg shape are the main pointers ,and from what i can make out from the poor photo attached .........looks good for Slender ...............wish i,d caught it (temporarily )for a better look ,then released it !
Also of interest Aeschna ,9 Large Coneheads were seen the other evening at Dungeness ,along with numerous singing tree crickets and 2 Sickle -Bearers .
The Coneheads now seem to have got a toehold at Dungeness ..............Also saw Scarce Emerald Damsel there as well !
Thanks Again both .Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Apologies Aeshna for spelling your pen name incorrectly ..............I spelt it with a C .........i should know better !
Regards Allan.W. Thanks again for your thoughts !

Return to “Sightings”