National Trust selling butterfly catching nets

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
web4160

National Trust selling butterfly catching nets

Post by web4160 »

On two recent visits to national trust properties I was surprised to see that they were selling telescopic butterfly catching nets aimed at children. Shortly afterwards we saw a child with minimal adult supervision chasing various white butterflies with such a net. The chances of any butterfly that was caught surviving must have quite low.

I'm assuming their is no law preventing the catching of common butterflies with a net although its possible that a child might catch a protected species. More to the point it seems inappropriate for the NT to be selling such nets.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: National Trust selling butterfly catching nets

Post by Padfield »

There is probably nothing illegal about this but as you say, it is highly inappropriate. I think a letter to the NT, beginning something like, 'You are probably not aware of this, but some of your sites are selling children's butterfly nets ...' is called for. NT properties have (quite properly in my opinion) banned hunting on their land, so it seems quite contradictory that they should then be encouraging children to to out and chase and catch living creatures!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Surprised and disappointed by this.

It's 2023, not 1973.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

I've followed Guy's suggestion and emailed the NT. I will share their response.
David M

Post by David M »

web4160 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:21 pmI've followed Guy's suggestion and emailed the NT. I will share their response.
It'll be interesting to know what that is.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Reply from the NT

"Good afternoon David,

Thank you for getting in touch with us to share your concerns. I’m sorry to hear that your experience has left you disappointed.

It’s certainly disappointing to hear that our products are being misused and causing potential harm to butterflies. As with many children’s products we recommend the net is used under supervision from an adult and that all wildlife is treated with respect and returned back to where it was found. The catching net is a popular product of ours, intended to help children learn about wildlife and nature. The net is included in our range to support our ’50 Things To Do Before You’re 11 and ¾’ activities, which encourages children to engage with nature. Activities include ‘explore the wonders of a rock pool’, ‘discovering whats in a pond’ and ‘bringing up a butterfly’.

We always welcome feedback from our supporters and your comments regarding the net have been passed on to our buying team for their consideration and reflection.

Thank you again for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support of National Trust and the places in our care."
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

A disappointing response. One way to get companies to stop these sorts of things is to create a bit of a Twitter storm. You may want to try it!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree - a tragic response. You may as well sell chisels so the kids can engage with the sculptures.

I had a look at the 50 things to do before you are 11¾ and none of them require a butterfly net. The only butterfly-related activity is no. 38: to 'bring up a butterfly'. As described, this activity is most likely to result in dead caterpillars, as I could have told them long before I was 11¾. And I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't written by someone who knew anything about butterflies, as a picture of a small tortoiseshell caterpillar is accompanied by the caption, 'White butterfly caterpillar at Druridge Bay, Northumberland'.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/ ... -butterfly

I'm not just being a curmudgeonly old fogie here: this sort of thing really upset me when I was a child. Because I genuinely loved wild creatures, I couldn't stand it when people treated them like things to play with or learn from. Thing to do number 17 is to set up a snail race. Again, this kind of abuse of living creatures greatly distressed me as a child. It has nothing to do with engaging with nature. Bring back I Spy books ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

web4160 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:43 pm...The catching net is a popular product of ours..
There's the real reason - We sell lots of them so we don't care.

It's anachronistic to be pushing products like this in 2023. :(

Return to “General”