Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Chris L

Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary

Post by Chris L »

I am a bit ashamed to admit that I have never seen a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary. I intend to rectify that in 2023. I said that in 2022 too but I will gloss over that.

Where is the nearest place to me where I am likely to see some? I live in South Derbyshire close to Swadlincote, on the border of Leicestershire and Staffordshire. Have car will travel. I read online that they might be at Earl's Hill in Shropshire, near to Shrewsbury.
Neil Freeman

Re: Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Otep.
Your best bet might be Cannock Chase. I have not seen any reports from there yet but they can't be far off.
Further afield for you but perhaps a bit closer than Shrewsbury, they should be flying in the Wyre Forest soon, if not already out there.
If you are on Facebook keep your eye on the West Midlands BC group.

Cheers,

Neil.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Ha, secretly Neil I was rather hoping that you would come to my rescue. Thank you. I have seen occasional references to Cannock Chase being a good place but without any precise reference points. I recall when I was after Green Hairstreak someone wrote exactly where they were on the Chase, a stones throw from the Glacial Boulder car park. That served me well.

I do look at the West Midlands Butterfly Conservation Twitter feed and that provides me with lots of days out. It is like thumbing through a travel brochure for me. Last night I read about Swynnerton MOD site in Staffordshire being good. Have you been there? That is a good place for Grizzled Skipper and friends apparently.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Otep. Just sent you a PM.

I have heard that Swynnerton is good for Grizzled Skipper but never been there myself. Being a MOD site I think that permission is needed to visit, I think that someone in West Mids branch has a contact there and sometimes arranges guided walks.

Cheers,

Neil.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

Hi Otep
In the past I've seen Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries in the Sherbrook Valley area of Cannock Chase in mid-Jun, close to the stream in the area south of the Stepping Stones.
The West Midlands Branch of Butterfly Conservation have a Field Trip to the Chase on Saturday 17 June where the target species are SPBF and Welsh Clearwing.
If you are interested in attending, the meeting point is the Punch Bowl Car Park (not a pub), which off the A513 between Shugborough and Milford.
There are further details on the WM Branch website - it should be a good trip - the Welsh Clearwing is quite special. We may see you there.

Cheers
Barrie
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Wow ! Seriously folks, this is the best website ever. Thank you ever so much Neil and Barrie. I now have both the resources to look on my lonesome and also a field trip that I could attend. The latter might be better as it probably enhances my chances of seeing one with so many pairs of eyes and people who know what they are looking for too. It will be nice to meet up with folk. I hope the weather is good.

I am now a striker who has been put clear through on goal. I just need to put the ball in the net basically. What could possibly go wrong.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Neil Freeman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:53 am Hi Otep. Just sent you a PM.

I have heard that Swynnerton is good for Grizzled Skipper but never been there myself. Being a MOD site I think that permission is needed to visit, I think that someone in West Mids branch has a contact there and sometimes arranges guided walks.

Cheers,

Neil.
Thank you for that Swynnerton intelligence Neil. You might have saved me from myself there. I wasn't aware of the permission factor and assumed that it was an old, disused MOD site. Being squashed by a tank looking at a Grizzled Skipper would not have been good. I suppose friends and family would have said 'He died doing what he loved' as their consolation.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad to be of help Otep. Good luck with seeing the Small Pearls...and anything else you hope for this season.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Sites”