Large Chequered Skipper Favourite photos of 2022

Devon Dave

Large Chequered Skipper Favourite photos of 2022

Post by Devon Dave »

Finding and photographing this stunning Butterfly on Jersey last Summer was not just my Favourite photo of 2022 but without doubt my most favourite Butterfly sighting of a life time. Please do not ask me for the location, I was sworn to secrecy and gave my word not to disclose it.
I will not answer any posts relating to its location on the Island as the numbers there are still low, and the habitat is very fragile. But please enjoy the photos and be content in the dream they may venture further in years to come with Global warming to our own shores.
Attachments
DSCN2062 (3).JPG
DSCN2036 (5).JPG
DSCN2060 (2).JPG
DSCN1996 (2).JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Large Chequered Skipper Favourite photos of 2022

Post by Padfield »

Fantastic, Dave! What a brilliant butterfly this is, and what a fantastic memory to have! I hope you got a chance to see its bouncing flight - like a puppet on a string. There's nothing like a large chequered skipper.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Thank you Guy, yes in flight it reminded me of a bouncing Domino, it was a day I will never forget,
Dave.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

From an early age, having seen a photograph of the stunning underside, LCS was on top of my want to see list. I finally made it in Bulgaria a few year back. As Guy says, the 'bouncing' flight is unique and a delight to watch.

Tony M.
Attachments
DSC05669.JPG
DSC05662.JPG
DSC05649.JPG
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I have described as the only butterfly species designed by Barnes Wallace.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Nice job, Dave. Let's hope it's back there for the foreseeable.

Still haven't managed to ever see this species, even though it's hardly a mega-rarity. That 'Barnes Wallace' designed flight must be quite a sight to behold! :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It really is a spectacular looking beasty. That one on the original post looks like its still drying its wings! I've only seen it the once, nearly 20 years ago now in Slovenia in 2004. I was probably really chuffed with the picture when I took it :oops: . I do remember getting a couple of shots off before it darted off, never to be seen again but I don't recall the flight pattern, it probably vanished when I was lining up a shot.
Scan from a slide.
Scan from a slide.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I first happened upon this lovely little butterfly in 2013 when holidaying in France. It was the characteristic flight that drew my attention to it. They were very active in the hot sunshine but I returned during the early evening when they were a little more settled.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Large Chequered Skipper 7.7.13 Gironde, France. Nigel Kemp.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

They really do have remarkably beautiful undersides. It's almost unnatural.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Buggy: yours is a very interesting variation! I've never seen one like it. I can't find any reference to it in the books either, except a note in Leraut that sometimes the spots on the hindwing underside are smaller. In your case, the white spots are smaller but the black surrounds are large and broad.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 am Buggy: yours is a very interesting variation! I've never seen one like it. I can't find any reference to it in the books either, except a note in Leraut that sometimes the spots on the hindwing underside are smaller. In your case, the white spots are smaller but the black surrounds are large and broad.

Guy
Here's the only other shot I got of it Guy, closer but more blurry
IMG_2336.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Large Chequered Skipper”