Zambia

Max Anderson

Zambia

Post by Max Anderson »

Just thought I would share some of my experiences from a trip to Zambia with the University earlier this year. Back in April, we took around 24 students to Zambia to visit two National Parks over 12 days as part of an ‘African Zoology’ field trip. While we spent most of the time directing students through some research tasks and shadowing them during their projects, there was a good amount of time to explore. Below, I’ve included a few record shots of the 75+ species of butterfly that we came across during the trip..

After a long flight and a bumpy, 12-hour minibus journey, we arrived at Kasanka National Park, where we would spend the next 8 days. Some of you may be familiar with Kasanka as being home to millions of African Straw-coloured Fruit Bats, which arrive towards the end of the year, undertaking the world’s largest mammal migration. Kasanka is regarded as quite a small National Park, particularly in comparison with others E.g Kruger and Kafue - the latter of which we would spend our final few days before heading back to the UK. Kasanka is dominated by Miombo woodlands, with smaller pockets of wetlands, Mushitu forests and other damp wooded habitats dotted throughout. During the first day or so, we spent some time getting to know our surroundings by taking some guided walks through the nearby Miombo woodlands, stopping to look at anything that moved. We were only able to walk 10-20 metres at a time, before something new would catch the eye, and stop us in our tracks.

There’s something about the feeling of being somewhere completely different, in a habitat that I’ve never experienced before, where everything I come across is unknown and new to me, which sparks an indescribable joy inside.
Leptotes babaulti
Leptotes babaulti
Acreaea natalica
Acreaea natalica
Uranothauma antinori
Uranothauma antinori
Eurema floricola
Eurema floricola
Pentila pauli - Lycaenidae!
Eicochrysops hippocrates
Eicochrysops hippocrates
Tuxentius melaena
Tuxentius melaena
Danaus chrysippus
Danaus chrysippus
Coeliades pisistratus
Coeliades pisistratus
More to come shortly..
David M

Re: Zambia

Post by David M »

Max Anderson wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:11 pm...There’s something about the feeling of being somewhere completely different, in a habitat that I’ve never experienced before, where everything I come across is unknown and new to me, which sparks an indescribable joy inside.
I understand that feeling totally, Max.

Very envious of your time spent here, and so glad you managed to get out and enjoy the beautiful environment near where you were based.

Looking forward to more. :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just what the doctor ordered, some exotica just as the weather turns nasty here :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

Thanks both - very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to go out there. Glad that I can share some of my enjoyable experiences with others!
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

On the 4th day at Kasanka, as we were making our way along one of the main tracks, we came across some very popular dung piles. The diversity of species visiting the dung was staggering. Frequently, there would be upwards of 10 butterfly species on a single pile – not to mention the dung beetles! This became a relatively common sight.
Dung puddle
Dung puddle
Zizeeria knysa
Zizeeria knysa
Pseudonacaduba sichela
Pseudonacaduba sichela

On this day, I happened to come across a few particularly beautiful species.

The first was this Lycaenid, Axiocerses amanga, the Bush Scarlet. Quick and erratic in flight and precise in its landing, reminiscent of the way Black Hairstreaks behave. I only ever came across one of these beauties. A stunning looking species, particularly cool to see the dark red underwings with two or three shining spots of silver, and the striking greyish white eyes.
Axiocerses amanga
Axiocerses amanga
Axiocerses amanga
Axiocerses amanga

A little further down the track, I kept seeing something bouncing from side to side, never settling for more than a second or two, and almost exclusively on the underside of large leaves. After a minute or two of watching, I managed to catch it at rest on the underside of a leaf, but only caught a glimpse of it for 3 seconds before it shot off again. I waited for another 3 minutes and was fortunate to spot it land on the upper side of a leaf just off the main track. This skipper, Celaenorrhinus galenus, the Common Orange Sprite, is unlike anything I had seen before with such stunning patterns and broad-set wings. Another species I would not see again for the remainder of the trip.
Celaenorrhinus galenus
Celaenorrhinus galenus
When we reached our destination, the students were tasked with setting up a grid of Longworth traps to sample small mammals in a patch of the Mushitu forest. At 30-40m away from the track, I was setting up a few of the traps and noticed something flitting around in the distance. It had a dull white appearance and was flapping quite intensely, but not covering much ground. It was flitting between some of the tussocks of sedges and grasses on the forest floor, occasionally landing on the leaves. When it did come to rest, I was still pretty sure that it was a moth, albeit with particularly striking wing patterns. The light in the woodland was poor, but I spent a good few minutes trying to get some clear shots so that I could ID it when I worked through the books back at the camp. This is Physcaeneura pione, the Light Webbed Ringlet.
Physcaeneura pione
Physcaeneura pione
Physcaeneura pione
Physcaeneura pione
On our way back through to camp we took a different path, and it began to rain for a good 30 minutes. When the rain eventually subsided, the sun broke through the clouds and I spotted something very peculiar floating down from the treetops. This is Abisara neavei, Neave's banded Judy, one of only two species of Riodinidae in Zambia. Like Europe’s lonely Duke of Burgundy, this species is one of very few Metalmarks found in the Afrotropics, with the majority of species found in the Neotropics, as would become abundantly clear on my trip to Ecuador two months later. Fortuntately, I had done my research and knew that this was one of the two Abisara species when I saw it. Predictably, none of the students were as impressed as I was.
Abisara neavei
Abisara neavei
The final sighting of the day came, surprisingly, at dusk, when we were sat chatting before dinner. Towards the back of the camp, I thought I could see what looked like a bat, flying very erratically over some of the smaller shrubs and trees. When I stepped out to see what it was, I realised what it was. It came quickly towards me, swooping overhead, before heading back off to rest on a nearby tree. This species is Melanitis leda, the Common Evening Brown, a boisterous species which is one of few that are, intriguingly, only active at dusk.
Melanitis leda
Melanitis leda
All of these species were only seen once during the trip, despite returning to the same area multiple times. Regardless, It’s these kinds of sightings and experiences that give me such an intense rush of excitement and joy that will stick with me for a lifetime.
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

As the days went on, the students became more focussed with their projects, and one of those that I was set to supervise was focussed on dung beetle assemblages in different herbivore dung. As part of this particular project, we had collected dung from a number of herbivores and set them up in trays for dung beetles to occupy. Of course, this required us to go out and about in search of poo, which provided some good opportunities to find some more interesting species. The first trial of the dung trays had attracted some attention, with Charaxes pollux coming down from their perch to feed. There were a host of other species which we found to be enticed by the dung, settling on or nearby the trays throughout the day.
Charaxes pollux
Charaxes pollux
Junonia pelarga
Junonia pelarga
Hamanumida daedalus
Hamanumida daedalus
In the UK, the Purple Emperor is the indubitable king of the dung and lord of belligerence. In wider Europe, some may argue that Charaxes jasius, the Two-tailed Pasha, competes for the throne. In Zambia, the skies are watched by a whole host of Charaxes species, each fighting to the death for the title of chief botherer. There’s simply no rest.
Charaxes jasius saturnus
Charaxes jasius saturnus
Charaxes guderiana
Charaxes guderiana
Charaxes achaemenes
Charaxes achaemenes
Back at the camp, one of the mud puddles was attracting some attention from some more stunning butterflies, including one of the most beautiful Lycaenids, Cigaritis natalensis, the Natal Blue.
Cigaritis natalensis
Cigaritis natalensis
Abantis contigua
Abantis contigua
Hypolycaena liara
Hypolycaena liara
Papilio demodocus
Papilio demodocus
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

After 8 days at Kasanka, it was time to leave and head over to Kafue. Another bumpy 14 hour mini-bus journey took us to our camp site, where we would stay for 2 nights before heading back to the UK. At Kafue, opportunities to wander around and explore were far more limited, with most activities requiring a vehicle. While the students were having their breakfast, I was exploring the campsite area. The habitat was very different here, with open grasslands and wetlands dominating, with patches of scrubby vegetation dotted throughout. A host of new species were found along the scrubby margins of the campsite, or finding puddles to feed on along the paths.
Azanus natalensis
Azanus natalensis
Euchrysops osiris
Euchrysops osiris
Tuxentius calice
Tuxentius calice
Uranothauma poggei / vansomereni
Uranothauma poggei / vansomereni
Lepidochrysops loveni
Lepidochrysops loveni
Zizeeria knysa
Zizeeria knysa
Iolaus bowkeri
Iolaus bowkeri
Chilades trochylus
Chilades trochylus
Actizera lucida
Actizera lucida
As it may be clear from my PD, my interest is mostly in Lycaenids. On the final morning, as I was peering into one of the scrubby margins, I spotted something dart into the tree. When I walked in closer to take a look, I spotted, without doubt, my favourite species of the trip, Lachnocnema bibulus, the Common Woolly Legs. Absolutely stunning.
Lachnocnema bibulus
Lachnocnema bibulus
Very lucky to have been given the opportunity to go out to Zambia. Hope that this has been of interest for some of you! When I have some more time, I’ll also be able to share some of the species seen during my trip to Ecuador back in June.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brilliant images of brilliant butterflies, Max. That Tuxentius calice is simply gorgeous.
BWs, Neil
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Very enjoyable glimpse into your adventures Max. Looking forward to some more when you have time - I’m sure you have plenty to share from Ecuador!
David M

Post by David M »

Some amazing species there, Max. What an eclectic range!

The two that really caught my eye were Junonia pelarga and the divine Celaenorrhinus galenus.

Those Charaxes must be spectacular to watch too. :mrgreen:
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

Thanks all - so many stunning butterflies species out there - not to mention the other arthropods:

MAX03139.JPG
MAX01612.JPG
MAX01097.JPG
MAX08534.JPG
MAX09621.JPG
MAX05213.JPG
MAX09789.JPG
MAX03693.JPG
MAX04404.JPG
PXL_20220329_170448825.jpg

Will get to work on some bits and pieces from Ecuador!

Return to “Trip Reports”