On the hunt for a Leopard and a Tiger (Cyprus 22nd June 2022 – 29th June 2022)

Stevieb

On the hunt for a Leopard and a Tiger (Cyprus 22nd June 2022 – 29th June 2022)

Post by Stevieb »

I cannot deny that I have a great affinity with Cyprus.

During my service in the Royal Air Force, I was lucky to have had two tours on the island. April 1978 to April 1981 I was based at RAF Akrotiri and July 1990 to May 1993 I was based at 280SU Troodos where I lived, off base, in a beautiful village further down the mountain called Trimiklini. I met my wife there, who was also serving, and my youngest was born there in July 1991.
Later my wife’s parents retired from Wales to a property they had built in Moni, just outside Limassol, where they would spend the rest of their days until they passed.

During all of my time serving Queen and Country, and subsequent visits since, to see the in-laws, I was a birder and spent most of my leisure time birding, having seen over 200 species on the island.

Now I’m a butterfly enthusiast who laments the lost opportunities, butterfly wise, of past times there.

In May 2019, I visited Cyprus for a week and began my quest to catch up with the butterflies of the island and came away happy with what I had managed to see including the three endemics of Glaucopsyche paphos Paphos Blue, Hipparchia cypriensis Cyprus Grayling and Maniola cypricola Cyprus Meadow Brown

However, I was gripped by the beauty of Apharitis acamas, the Levantine Leopard, and knew that to catch up with this uncommon and local specialty I had to revisit the island later in the calendar year as it doesn’t emerge until June. I had also missed the opportunity in May 2019 to connect with Tarucus balkanicus the Little Tiger Blue, mainly found in the east of the island, plus this being a June visit it would also give me the chance to find Chilades galba, the Small Desert Blue, that inhabits the same area and terrain as the Tiger from June onwards.

According to the excellent Cyprus Butterflies website www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk, managed by Eddie John, Cyprus appears to represent the only Mediterranean island in which the infrequently recorded Levantine Leopard is found.
Corresponding with Eddie prior to my May 2019 trip gave me invaluable information as to where to go for maximum returns. I contacted him again, prior to this trip, to glean any information that he had to help connect with the elusive Leopard.

June 22nd The day saw myself, and my wife Claire, jet out with, thankfully, none of the hassle that had beleaguered earlier passengers from Bristol Airport. A late arrival at our resort of Kissonerga, Coral Bay, meant that I would have to wait until the next morning to commence my quest.

June 23rd. The morning saw me up and at breakfast for 8am, ready for a 9am start. With temperatures reaching 30+ degrees during the day I figured a relatively early start might be prudent.

First butterfly of the day was a Lampides boeticus Long-tailed Blue that joined us for breakfast on some rock rose type plants (sorry plants aren’t my strongpoint!) at the outdoor restaurant.
As always with my trips I like to check out the local patch on the first day. I had hired a car for the duration of the week so headed up to the nearest hills to the resort which where between the villages of Pegeia and Kathikas.
My local patch. The hills between the villages of Pegeia and Kathikas
My local patch. The hills between the villages of Pegeia and Kathikas
After about an hour, and various stops at suitable looking spots, I was getting a little despondent with the lack of any butterflies, apart from the odd flyby, when suddenly I noticed a large congregation of whites nectaring on some small ground plants and pulled over.
The plant was Heliotropium hirsutissimum, Hairy Heliotrope, a plant with long strings of multi cluster yellow centered flowers on a green silver stem.
On approaching I noticed they were attracting a multitude of Small Whites along with good numbers of Bath Whites, Long-tailed Blues, the odd Small Copper, and best of all my first Chilades trochylus Grass Jewels. These diminutive butterflies certainly tested my resolve in trying to get any decent photo’s.

A supporting cast of Swallowtails, Cleopatras and Large Wall Browns made this small patch of waste ground a great start to my first morning butterflying and gave me my first lifer of the holiday.
Heliotropium hirsutissimum, Hairy Heliotrope
Heliotropium hirsutissimum, Hairy Heliotrope
Chilades trochylus Grass Jewel (horribly cropped!!)
Lampides boeticus Long-tailed Blue
Lasiommata maera Large Wall Brown
Lasiommata maera Large Wall Brown
Pontia daplidice Bath White
Gegenes pumilio Pigmy Skippper
Gegenes pumilio Pigmy Skippper
With the time around 11am and the temperature rising I called it a day but resolved to return tomorrow with the intent of getting better shots of the Grass Jewels. A resolve that continued throughout the week!

June 24th. This morning I once again headed to the patch of waste ground and having observed the same species as yesterday set off to explore the surrounding hillside in search of the Leopard before it became too hot.

Following a dirt track I came across my first Clouded Yellow and amongst some roadside brambles I encountered my first Oriental Meadow Brown but frustratingly I didn’t manage to get a photo. Further along, in a gully, there were good numbers of Large Wall Browns, Long-tailed Blues, a couple of Pigmy Skippers and a few Swallowtails. At a fork in the track a likely looking hillside piqued my interest and I headed in that direction.

After half an hour my number one target was found. A sublime Levantine Leopard was posing beautifully as if waiting for my arrival. My first effort at locating this rarity and here I have it on my second day. It was mission accomplished for this species, and my second lifer of the holiday. I returned to the hotel a very happy man.
Leopard country
Leopard country
Apharitis acamas, the Levantine Leopard
Last edited by Stevieb on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stevieb

Re: On the hunt for a Leopard and a Tiger (Cyprus 22nd June 2022 – 29th June 2022)

Post by Stevieb »

June 25th. With the success of yesterday I gave myself the morning off and Claire and I headed east to Kolossi to pay our respects to her parents who are laid to rest in the British Cemetery there.
I still had my camera in tow and whilst attending my mother-in-laws grave I noticed a small butterfly ovipositing on a flowering shrub nearby. After paying our respects I headed for said shrub and found a female Lang’s Short-tailed Blue. Another one to add to my Cyprus list
Leptotes pirithous Lang's Short-tailed Blue
June 26th. An early morning start to drive the 141km east to Larnaca Salt Lake or more precisely the Hala Sultan Tekke Mosque. The tracks from the mosque are the more well-known areas frequented by both the Little Tiger Blue and Small Desert Blue on the Greek side of the island.

On arriving, and stepping out of the car, to my delight the grass verges were alive with Small Desert Blues. There were literally hundreds all along the track.
Tiger country
Tiger country
Chilades galba Small Desert Blue
With the Small Desert Blues being very obliging, and allowing plenty of photo opportunities, I continued a short distance further up the track looking out for the Zizyphus lotus bush, the larval hostplant of the Little Tiger Blue.

There were plenty of the bushes along the track and in no time I was watching a couple of Little Tiger Blues flying about. They were nowhere as numerous as the Small Desert Blues, which were also associating themselves around the bushes, but with patience a good number of Tigers could be observed around the area nectaring along the track verges, though never straying far from the hostplant.

Fully satisfied, I decided to head back west to the hotel to spend the afternoon soaking up the sun and toasting my third and fourth lifers of the holiday with a large cold Keo beer.
A successful excursion and well worth the long drive to Larnaca and back to Paphos.
Zizyphus lotus bush
Zizyphus lotus bush
Tarucus balkanicus Little Tiger Blue

Stevieb

Re: On the hunt for a Leopard and a Tiger (Cyprus 22nd June 2022 – 29th June 2022)

Post by Stevieb »

June 27th. After the drive of yesterday a morning off was in order so we became tourists for the morning and revisited The Tomb of the Kings.
Me, Tomb of the Kings 1980
Me, Tomb of the Kings 1980
42 years later!!
42 years later!!
In the afternoon I checked out my local patch and was rewarded by a plethora of Swallowtails and four Leopards.
Papilio machaon Swallowtail
Apharitis acamas Levantine Leopard

Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

June 28th. My penultimate day. I was originally going to drive to Troodos to try and connect with Graylings and possibly Cardinals but I decided I couldn’t face another long journey so opted to save Troodos for another return visit to the island.

I instead headed for my local patch for the last time in the vein hope of getting some better photos of Grass Jewels. The Jewels behaved impeccably and allowed me to get some half decent shots. Also showing well were a couple of Lesser Fiery Coppers, but surprisingly, no Leopards today.
Copper country
Copper country
Chilades trochylus Grass Jewel
Lycaena thersamon Lesser Fiery Copper
June 29th. So ends my report.It was certainly butterflying at its best, with great weather, great food and great ice-cold beer.

I managed to hunt down both the Leopard and the Tiger along with a multitude of other goodies, resulting in four lifers. Not many you may think, but quality over quantity I hope you’ll agree.

We will return to visit Claire's parents again, and when we do the mountain species will be the ones I’ll be hunting down next time.

Steve

David M

Post by David M »

Great report, Steve. Nice to know the background with your former career, etc, and the images 40 years apart are quite something!!

I'm delighted you successfully hunted down Levantine Leopard. This is one of Europe's most exotic species and I look forward to seeing it myself one day.

You did exceptionally well getting images of Grass Jewel, which makes our Small Blue look rather large in comparison!

I'm sure the cool beer was another highlight. :)
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Fantastic report Steve, thanks for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed my own visit to Cyprus in July 2021. I missed out on the Levantine Leopard, but saw all the other Cyprus specialities. It is a wonderful island.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:16 pm
You did exceptionally well getting images of Grass Jewel, which makes our Small Blue look rather large in comparison!
Thank you David. The Grass Jewels were challenging to say the least. It was like following small flies in flight! :D

The first photos were too cropped for my liking but the last ones I was very pleased with.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

selbypaul wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm Fantastic report Steve, thanks for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed my own visit to Cyprus in July 2021. I missed out on the Levantine Leopard, but saw all the other Cyprus specialities. It is a wonderful island.
Thank you selbypaul. It is indeed a wonderful island. I just wish they didn't have such an archaic attitude to bird trapping/hunting.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Really enjoyed this Steve - brought back memories of our recent trip out to Cyprus in late September last year. I also picked up a few lifers out there, including the delightful but tiny Grass Jewel, Lesser Fiery Copper, plus the endemic Cyprus Meadow Brown and Grayling.

I envy you your Leopards! I shall have to return to the island one day to track them down...
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

petesmith wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:46 am Really enjoyed this Steve - brought back memories of our recent trip out to Cyprus in late September last year. I also picked up a few lifers out there, including the delightful but tiny Grass Jewel, Lesser Fiery Copper, plus the endemic Cyprus Meadow Brown and Grayling.

I envy you your Leopards! I shall have to return to the island one day to track them down...
Thank you Pete. The Leopards are certainly worth tracking down. Beautiful butterflies

Return to “Trip Reports”