Small White - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

Not long to go now! Only a couple or so weeks left of the 2021 Favourites thread and possibly only a couple more weeks until the 2022 Season starts in earnest.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Small White - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Goldie M »

The Small Whites had a great Summer last year , I took shots of them from April through to September and never got tired of seeing them flying in and out of the gardens I was in at the time :D
April , May in the North, August, September in the South :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4831.jpeg
P1080697.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg
IMG_3746 (1).jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Easily the most numerous of the three 'common' species of white for me in 2021, although that does not mean they were particularly numerous, just that they fared better than both Green-veined and Large whites. Around my patch they probably had an average year but I did see larger numbers further south, particularly around the Emsworth and Bosham areas when we visited our daughter in early September.

My favourite photo is one of the first I took of this species in 2021, taken at my local spot by Wagon Lane.
Small White - Wagon Lane 18.04.2021
Small White - Wagon Lane 18.04.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small White

My favourite shot of this species came from the first brood back in April whilst I was making one of my many early season visits to Five Rivers. I love the clean lines which are accentuated by the almost blinding white of the ground colour. I also chose it as it reminds me of a cracking visit where I racked up my first Large White and Orange-tip after a very (unusually) disappointing trip to Mottisfont earlier in the morning.
02-04-2021 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Always nice to photograph female Small Whites with their wings open. This first one was in my garden in mid-September:
15G.SmWh1(1).jpg
This next female was one of many seen at the National Botanic Gardens on 21st September:
21.SmWhfem(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Took very few shots of Small Whites in 21' they seem to have done pretty well in mid-Kent .Particularly high numbers at Dungeness ,and i counted 30 along a very short length of the power Station perimeter wall . My picture was from my local ,fast dissapearing Grizzled Skipper site ......................word is ,it could soon be under concrete ! .................shame ,as this small site holds a very rare Cricket and a moth
plus Grizzled Skipper ,and a huge population of Common Spotted Orchid ..................Thats progress ,i suppose !
This pair was from the above site.
P1070772.JPG
Allan.W.

Return to “Small White”