Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

Seasons greetings all! Only a week to go until the obese Northern gentleman with a penchant for Sherry reverse burgles everyone that’s been good!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by bugboy »

Great to catchup again with this species after missing out for two years, and the scenery down on the Dorset coast is non to shabby either, always a memorable day.
Lulworth Skipper male, Durlston Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I had missed out on these for a number of years and so they were one of my targets for our trip to Dorset in June when we saw loads around Durdle Door and over the hill at Lulworth Cove and up on Bindon Hill.
I cannot make my mind up whether I prefer the shot of the male on a yellow hawkweed or that against the blue of vipers Bugloss. Both shots give an idea of the small size of this little butterfly.
Lulworth Skipper - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper - Bindon Hill 1306.2021
Lulworth Skipper - Bindon Hill 1306.2021
I also like this pair taken at Durdle Door.
Lulworth Skipper pair - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper pair - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil
millerd

Post by millerd »

I caught up with this species on just one day in 2021, the glorious sunshine of 4th August down at Tout Quarry on the Isle of Portland. The main reason of the visit was a chance of seeing a Large Tortoiseshell (results were very inconclusive on that score... :) ), but Lulworths were a nice bonus. However, I only saw males, though there were quite a few around squabbling constantly with male Small Skippers just to confuse matters. After a while, it became easier to pick out the smaller, darker Lulworths and just hope they would settle long enough for a photo before they set off into battle once again. This one just about managed it...
LWS6 040821.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see this species in the UK in 2021, but there were a few around in Picos de Europa when I visited in early July:
6.Lulworthfemale(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

My Lulworths this year came from Corfe Castle car park – possibly the earliest site for them on the Isle of Purbeck and maybe across their range. This one was my favorite as it was taken with one hand whist the other held onto the near vertical bank at the side of the car park and the image to mind my mind if quite intimate – we were sharing a moment this little chap and I.
04-06-2021 4.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”