Female Common Blue colour variations this season.

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Testudo Man

Female Common Blue colour variations this season.

Post by Testudo Man »

Each year, im always on the look out for female Common Blues, showing nice colouration.
This season/year ive done quite well, finding some lovely females.
Locations in/around Kent. Images are not cropped. Cheers Paul.

ImageFemale Common Blue Butterfly (blue type). No Cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

ImageFemale Common Blue Butterfly. No Cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

ImageFemale Common Blue Butterfly (blue type). No Cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr
petesmith

Re: Female Common Blue colour variations this season.

Post by petesmith »

A lovely selection Paul! As you say, it does seem to have been a particularly fine year for female Common Blue colour forms. I don't think I have seen a plain brown one at all during 2021!

My own personal favourite is the example shown below, not too far removed from your third image.
Common Blue ab.albocuneata 4.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, TM, and that last image of yours is of quite an extraordinary butterfly.

When I was a kid in the late 70s, virtually all female Common Blues were brown, but these days a huge percentage are very blue, with some being so well-coloured it almost makes the guides of the period before 1980 obsolete.

Here's one I saw in Swansea in early summer which I doubt I could ever have seen when I was a teenager:
31.CommBlfem(1).jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

petesmith wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:18 pm A lovely selection Paul! As you say, it does seem to have been a particularly fine year for female Common Blue colour forms. I don't think I have seen a plain brown one at all during 2021!

My own personal favourite is the example shown below, not too far removed from your third image.

Common Blue ab.albocuneata 4.JPG
Thanks for that.
Thats a real beauty Pete, an as you say not too far from my 3rd one. I think i have one from this year, that is very close to yours, i will have to go look for it later for comparison.
I dont think i saw a brown female at all this year, an im pretty sure i only saw the one brown one last year!
Last edited by Testudo Man on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:17 pm Nice work, TM, and that last image of yours is of quite an extraordinary butterfly.

When I was a kid in the late 70s, virtually all female Common Blues were brown, but these days a huge percentage are very blue, with some being so well-coloured it almost makes the guides of the period before 1980 obsolete.

Here's one I saw in Swansea in early summer which I doubt I could ever have seen when I was a teenager:

31.CommBlfem(1).jpg
Cheers David, yes, that last one of mine was a cracker. I think it was looking its absolute best, with the low bright sunlight to its left, making her a real sight for sure. It was almost as good as the unusual female i found last year, but she really was the best i have ever seen (i guess we all say that, until the next beauty presents itself!).
Your blue is also a real beauty too.

Ive only been observing the colouration in female Common Blues for less that a decade, but even in that short time, way more "Blues" seem to out number the "Browns" of late.

Heres a reminder of that very special blue female i found late last year. Cheers Paul. :D

ImageFemale Common Blue Butterfly ab. (3rd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

ImageFemale Common Blue Butterfly ab. (3rd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some absolutely stunning images there. Common Blue females make a fascinating and attractive subject for study - every one is different.

However, there are still a few brown ones around...
CB8 190821.JPG
(Apologies that I can't compete with the image quality above!)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

The brown ones are definitely becoming scarcer, so much so that when I saw this individual on the Swansea coast back in May I felt compelled to take her image:
17.CBfemups(1).jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

millerd wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:18 pm Some absolutely stunning images there. Common Blue females make a fascinating and attractive subject for study - every one is different.

However, there are still a few brown ones around...CB8 190821.JPG(Apologies that I can't compete with the image quality above!)

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks Dave.
Like you say, such a variation in colour/markings, from female to female, so they are certainly a good subject/species to observe.
Nice brown one there too. :wink:
David M wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:18 am The brown ones are definitely becoming scarcer, so much so that when I saw this individual on the Swansea coast back in May I felt compelled to take her image:
17.CBfemups(1).jpg
Another nice brown female there David. :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, TM. They're getting scarcer by the year!!
Steve Kirtley

Post by Steve Kirtley »

Here's a couple from County Durham this September. One was very dark.
Attachments
IMG_7083 (3) net.JPG
IMG_7167 (2) net.JPG
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Steve Kirtley wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 am Here's a couple from County Durham this September. One was very dark.
Nice looking butterflies there.
jonhd

Post by jonhd »

I would hazard a guess at 4:1 in favour of the brown form, down here in Southampton (Hampshire coast), this year. (Pretty sure it's mostly CB, and not Brown Argus, I'm counting.)

BR, Jon

Return to “Photography”