The Difference Between Butterflies and Moths

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Here is a short article I originally wrote for my website which some people might find interesting. I would be glad of any comments or error corrections to help me see if my article writing skills are any good. Thanks.

Butterflies and moths are arthropods categorised in the animal kingdom class Insecta, in the order Lepidoptera. There are two suborders, butterflies are Rhopalocera and moths are Heterocera. Although distinct differences exist between most butterflies and moths, there are exceptions to every example and it is difficult to be definitive.

Deciding what an unknown subject is, butterfly or moth, depends on species. Behavioural traits and appearance help but there are some butterflies that behave and look like moths and some moths that behave and look like butterflies.

By far the most reliable way is to first identify the species and then consult published documentation that gives information on species and whether it is Rhopalocera or Heterocera.

Below is a broad guide which gives a reasonable chance at coming to the right conclusion.

Illustration of some of the main differences in butterfly and moth anatomy
Credit: Mrice20 - Own work, Open access, CC BY-SA 4.0

Antennae

Butterflies usually have thin antennae resembling a pair of single hairs protruding from the head. Most often their antennae culminate in a club like structure furthest from the body. Moths usually have feathered or tapering antennae without the club like structure. There are exceptions.

Wing Posture

When resting butterflies usually fold their wings closed and hold them upright above their bodies. Moths most often lay their wings back against their bodies, forming a tent-like shape. Species do exist in both suborders that do the opposite.

Bodies

Butterflies tend to have long, slender bodies. Normally, moth bodies are short and wide. Most moths are more densely covered in setae than butterflies are, a substance that resembles fur although it isn't actually fur and evolved separately. Again, there are exceptions.

Behaviour

Most butterflies are diurnal, flying during daylight hours. Most moths are nocturnal, flying at night. Most is the key word here, not all.

Colouration

Broadly, butterflies are the more colourful of the two suborders. Butterfly colouration and patterning has generally evolved to either attract a mate or help protect from predation. Because moths tend to fly at night and rest during the day, muted colours have evolved as a form of camouflage. Again, there are exceptions.

The Frenulum and Retinaculum

Perhaps the most reliable method of determining whether an unknown subject is a butterfly or a moth is to examine if it possesses a frenulum and retinaculum which are absent in butterflies but exist in moths. They are structures on the wings consisting of a spine on the hindwing and a loop on the forewing. Together they form a kind of latch that prevents the hindwing riding over the forewing. Examination is of course not an easy task and is normally only undertaken by professional entomologists or lepidopterists with the right skills and facilities.

As usual there are exceptions. The Australian butterfly species Euschemon rafflesia (Regent Skipper) is the only true butterfly species to possess a frenulum and retinaculum. They are also represented in the hedylidae (moth-butterflies found in the Americas) which form a separate family within Lepidoptera.

So, in conclusion, what is the difference between butterflies and moths? It's not an easy question to answer definitively and is of little scientific consequence anyway within the order Lepidoptera.
______

That is the end of my article but I would like to add a thought or two. I don't quite understand why science and society in general wish to separate butterflies and moths, especially when there are no clear or absolute differences between the two suborders anyway, with so many physical and behavioural anomalies. Is it just a historic thing? Does it really matter if a given species within Lepidoptera is labelled as a butterfly or a moth? If it does matter, what is the reason? To me, the most beautiful 'butterfly' in the world, Chrysiridia rhipheus is in fact a moth (Madagascan Sunset Moth). Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Phil.
PhilM

Re: The Difference Between Butterflies and Moths

Post by PhilM »

I've been looking into this today to see if I could answer some of my own questions. I'm quite surprised at what I've found out - if I understand it correctly. I am currently not taking it as read until I know more.

What is the difference between butterflies and moths? It appears it could all be down to the use, or should I say misuse, of words!

All members of the Lepidoptera order are, strictly speaking, lepidopterans. The words BUTTERFLY and MOTH have become less defined over time, in particular MOTH meaning different things to different cultures and becoming somewhat loose and misused in its definition.

BUTTERFLY as a word was first used around 700AD. The word MOTH came a little later and originally referred only to CLOTH EATING FLYING PESTS. The meaning of the word changed generation by generation (as they do) and by the 1700s had come to mean NIGHT FLYING BUTTERFLIES. Now, in the 21st century, the word is so changed and with different people and cultures using it in different ways its true meaning is somewhat ambiguous.

Scientifically, there is not one single factor that can delineate a butterfly from a moth across all species. Not one!

So, if this is all true, what this means for UKBers is that there are hundreds of more species of butterfly in Britain and Ireland to observe and photograph overnight :lol: :lol: :lol: !
And Peter is going to have to expand his book somewhat! :D

If I've got this wrong, please, please let me know, so I can sleep at night.

There is still one thing that makes me question what I have learnt today. Scientists have created the suborders Rhopalocera (butterflies) and Heterocera (moths) within the order Lepidoptera. What criteria are they using to determine which species goes in which suborder? I wish I knew an entomologist or taxonomist that could tell me.

Cheers,
Phil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's a question I've been asked many a time, "what's the difference between butterflies and moths" and my answer is always pretty along the lines of "Butterflies are just a group of day flying moths" or "Moths are nocturnal Butterflies". It is true though that the more we look into into the differences, the more the differences become blurred.

I believe the two suborder division has now been abandoned and consigned to the history books. The current preference seems to be for four suborders: Aglossata, Glossata, Heterobathmiina & Zeugloptera of which Glossata contains around 98% of the known species.
What we call butterflies seem to currently follow the following taxonomy route:
Lepidoptera
Glossata
Heteroneura
Ditrysia
Rhopalocera
Hedyloidea & Papilionoidea.

Of course as more is discovered there'll be more changes, it all depends on whether the next taxonomist to get their mits on it is a 'lumper' or a 'splitter'. One things for sure though, they are unlikely to leave it as it is! :roll:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Thank you bugboy, that is both interesting and very helpful to me. I knew someone on this excellent site would be able to make sense of what I was trying to say and be willing to help out. I can see a good night's sleep coming, although there is some research to do tomorrow into the taxonomy you have mentioned. Thank you once again. :)

Cheers,
Phil.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

There's a useful graphical representation of the Ditrysia here: http://tolweb.org/Ditrysia/11868 (and you can follow the tree back to see the higher taxonomic levels). Tolweb is not always totally up-to-date, but if this tree is right it means that the group we call 'butterflies' (including the Hedylidae) is at least cladal - that is, any two 'butterflies' share a more recent common ancestor than the most recent common ancestor of any 'butterfly'-'moth' pairing. The French and Swiss habit of including burnets in butterfly books (as 'papillons de jour' or 'Tagfalter') is not justified phylogenetically, even though it's a jolly good idea!

For a more recent analysis of the phylogenetic relations of the European butterflies alone, see Zhang et al., 2020: https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/50878/list/2/. The circular tree diagrams are brilliant.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Thank you so much for the links Guy. I'm going to spend an extended weekend looking into the finer points of Lepidoptera taxonomy. It's a good job I'm feeling brave! Thanks again.

Cheers,
Phil.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”