Rearing Purple Hairstreak

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Matsukaze

Rearing Purple Hairstreak

Post by Matsukaze »

I found this egg on a fallen oak branch today, and have brought it home to try to rear. At present it's safe in my fridge. How is it best to rear it? When will it need to be woken from hibernation? Presumably it will feed on just-opening oak buds to start with.
Attachments
P1050038.jpg
Rosalyn

Re: Rearing Purple Hairstreak

Post by Rosalyn »

I found a couple in August on a fallen twig after we had the high winds. Phil stuck the twig in his garden. Are they viable? would welcome any advice also
PH egg_0019.jpg
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

PH is very easy to rear if the egg is put close to an Oak twig with some nice plump buds in March/April. Make sure the twig is in a cool place or the larvae will develop and pupate too fast, and emerge early. Don't try and move the larvae yourself - if they are placed near a food source, they will find their own way. As they near maturity, you will need to net the twig if you want to see the pupae - they are very adept at disappearing to pupate where they want rather than for your convenience. A freshly emerged PH is one of nature's most beautiful creatures. Good luck!

Tony M.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Rosalyn wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm I found a couple in August on a fallen twig after we had the high winds. Phil stuck the twig in his garden. Are they viable? would welcome any advice also
PH egg_0019.jpg
Your eggs look healthy and viable Rosalyn :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Thanks folks! I'll give it a go and hopefully post photos on here.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”