Can a Comma's wing darken with hibernation age? (and evolutional advantages).

PhilBJohnson

Can a Comma's wing darken with hibernation age? (and evolutional advantages).

Post by PhilBJohnson »

:D :D
8th October 2019, Chambers Farm Wood, Lincolnshire, nectaring on Michaelmas Daisies.
8th October 2019, Chambers Farm Wood, Lincolnshire, nectaring on Michaelmas Daisies.
Hello,
The above photo was the last Comma we gladly saw on the wing in 2019. Now that weather is cooler, I don't want to see any disturbed from hibernation in Lincolnshire, please) :D :D . It almost was my personal favourite Comma photo of 2019, but for a non-native flower.
We saw Commas “on the wing” in February this year because of a "climate change Spring".
From my understanding, this “seasonally late” Lincolnshire Comma was so immaculately fresh, I thought it must have been the offspring of a paler "summer breed quick" Hutchinsoni Comma. I thought that it would hibernate and hopefully breed in the Spring of 2020.
Please correct me if you think I was wrong.
Does anyone have any before and after Comma hibernation photos, to show that a Commas forewing did or did not darken with hibernation age?
It was thought that evolution might favour a darker over-wintering individual to pass on to the next generation, avoiding predation in hibernation camauflage, and that brighter or a more orange individual in overall flight appearance, might have had an advantage to attract a mate, similar in ones thought, to that of a male Silver-washed Fritillary(SWF) that was generally more brightly orange in colour, than a female SWF.
Kind Regards,
Kind Regards,

Return to “Comma”