Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:Stunning stuff Rex especially the centre page spread Dingy :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: gurt lush :D I know what you mean bout the way to get Wall shots Rex, I only have a 105 lens so that is my method too, although my language is a bit more rural :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Most kind of you Wurzel, I would imagine "rural language" is a lot worse than it's urban equivalent. After all country folk have the more peaceful surroundings in which to come up with the most colourful of metaphors! :wink:
David M wrote:Beautiful Dingies, James. You’ve really captured them well, and what a pleasant surprise in the form of an Adonis Blue! You must have been delighted to see that.
Thank you David, it was nice to get a shot of the less often seen underside. Yes I was very pleased to see my first Adonis of the year, numbers are building a bit now with some of them already looking quite worn!

Thank you for your comments,

James
Butterflysaurus rex

Woodland treasures Emeralds and Pearls

Last Tuesday morning I visited Abbots Wood hoping to photograph egg laying Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. When I arrived I couldn't help noticing the large numbers of Green Hairstreaks, one specimen in particular caught my eye. It had a more yellow and shiny look to it, past experience told me it had freshly emerged.

Then it was back to my mission, egg laying Pearls.

Before I left I came across this bright green caterpillar, I noticed it had two strange white blobs on each flank! This confused me when it came to getting an ID. After consulting some friends it turned out to be an Angle Shades Moth caterpillar and the white blobs were probably the eggs of a parasite.

On to the Downs

After that I had enough time to visit my local patch on the downs where I saw my first Brown Argus of the year.

And then my first Small Heath of 2019.

And a mating pair of Dingy Skippers on an unusual perch!

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: James :D lovely Butterflies :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful observations, James. That female PBF is a lovely specimen, and well done for capturing Small Heath without the seemingly obligatory blades of grass!

Love the last Dingy shot! Yes, it's an unusual perch but it makes for an attractive background.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice James, fresh Brown Argus really are something. Love the Dingys too. :D
Butterflysaurus rex

Goldie M wrote:I'm green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: James :D lovely Butterflies :D Goldie :D
You may not have found any Green Hairstreaks Goldie but you certainly made up for it with all of those lovely Wall Browns and Brimstones! :D I haven't managed a single Brimstone photo this year.
David M wrote:Wonderful observations, James. That female PBF is a lovely specimen, and well done for capturing Small Heath without the seemingly obligatory blades of grass!

Love the last Dingy shot! Yes, it's an unusual perch but it makes for an attractive background.
Hi David, yes Small Heaths usually tuck themselves behind something. Going by my experience Dingy Skippers rarely sit on blossom so it was a rare treat to find these. I've only ever seen this once before.
Andrew555 wrote:Very nice James, fresh Brown Argus really are something. Love the Dingys too. :D
I certainly agree with you there Andrew, particularly when they are fresh! We're having a good year for Dingy's here making things a bit easier.

Many thanks for your kind and generous comments.

Daja vu, well almost.

On Friday the 10th of May I made a very brief visit to local patch, I didn't have have much time for photography but I still did much better than expected. The species I found were much the same as my previous time there, except this time I exchanged the Brown Argus with my first Common Blue photo of the year.

Other than that a couple of beautifully fresh Green Hairstreaks stole the show. We have enjoyed an excellent year for Green Hairstreak locally with numbers far higher than I've seen for many a year.

Other than that the now ubiquitous Dingy Skippers were flying about at a furious pace in the very warm sunshine.

Other things of interest included these two larval webs of the Lackey and Brown tailed moth variety.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry Rex somehow I missed your previous post - don't know how that happened :oops: And what a one to miss - that Pearl is stunning :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , it's got it's mascara/war paint on ready for a girls night out :shock: :lol: Lush Greenies as well - really caught the glitter :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:...We have enjoyed an excellent year for Green Hairstreak locally with numbers far higher than I've seen for many a year..

Yes, same here in south Wales, James. They got off to a great start around Easter and haven't looked back!
Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Sorry Rex somehow I missed your previous post - don't know how that happened :oops: And what a one to miss - that Pearl is stunning :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , it's got it's mascara/war paint on ready for a girls night out :shock: :lol: Lush Greenies as well - really caught the glitter :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
That's very kind of you Wurzel but no apology necessary :D I'm glad to see you've been enjoying lots of Dukes, unfortunately I'll miss them again this year.
David M wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote:...We have enjoyed an excellent year for Green Hairstreak locally with numbers far higher than I've seen for many a year..

Yes, same here in south Wales, James. They got off to a great start around Easter and haven't looked back!
It seems to have been great for them everywhere David! I hope we enjoy something similar next year.

Thanks both for your comments. :D

Time flies

I've been so busy over the last couple of weeks that it was almost alarming to see the end of May approaching! Any trips out have been mostly restricted to any time I could grab - usually during the evening. A brief walk in Abbots Wood (not really for butterflies) a couple of Weeks ago threw up a fresh Pearl-Bordered Fritillary, naturally I couldn't resist a photo.

After that it was back to the downs. It has been an exceptional year for Small Blues here in the South, not having many photos that I'm really pleased with of this species I was determined to make the most of this opportunity. Luckily I found a spot absolutely overflowing with Small Blues, the weather was not great but thanks to the sheer numbers I managed some of my best open wing shots to date.

I didn't manage any really good underside shots of the Small Blues on that day so I vowed to return and have another go as soon as possible (more later)

With most of my walks taking place during the evening I saw a few butterflies getting ready to roost.

Thanks for looking,

James
millerd

Post by millerd »

I agree that Small Blues seem to be having a good year, James. Some great shots there, and of the others too. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are lovely looking Small Blues Rex - they're around all over the place this year :D I just wish that the ones I find would behave as well for me as they do for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Much as I love the Small Blues, James, it is your Brown Argus that catches my eye. I doubt you could find one in finer condition than that.
Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:I agree that Small Blues seem to be having a good year, James. Some great shots there, and of the others too. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks Dave I notice that you’ve also been enjoying the Small Blue bonanza too. :D Hopefully the second brood will follow suit.
Wurzel wrote:Those are lovely looking Small Blues Rex - they're around all over the place this year :D I just wish that the ones I find would behave as well for me as they do for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, try being more strict with them, I do my best Barbara Woodhouse impression and they do whatever I say. :D
David M wrote:Much as I love the Small Blues, James, it is your Brown Argus that catches my eye. I doubt you could find one in finer condition than that.
They certainly do look great when they are brand new David, better than a Chocolate Orange imo.

Size is relative

As it turned out last week was all about Small, well Small Blues and SPBF’s anyway. As mentioned in my last post my mission to attain a few half decent SB underside shots continued. The weather sure didn’t make it easy with a strong breeze and cloudy spells making photography very difficult. Anyway I did my best and I was quite relieved when I finally managed to grab a few shots.

Then it was off to the woods hoping to see my first Small-pearl Bordered Fritillaries of the year.

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've been practising my "SIT!" but OI got some very funny looks when I tried it out on the cliffs at Lulworth today Rex :shock: :lol: That double decker shot is a beaut - absolutely fantastic :D 8) :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Small Blues seem to be approaching pestilence levels this spring, James....long may it continue!

Glad you caught up with the Small Pearl Bordered Frits too; such a lovely butterfly.
Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:I've been practising my "SIT!" but OI got some very funny looks when I tried it out on the cliffs at Lulworth today Rex :shock: :lol: That double decker shot is a beaut - absolutely fantastic :D 8) :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I guess it doesn’t work on Lulworth Skippers then! Perhaps some of your best dance moves would hypnotise them, it’s got to be worth a try. :wink: :D
Thanks yes the double decker was quite amusing, they do some funny things these Small Blues.
David M wrote:Small Blues seem to be approaching pestilence levels this spring, James....long may it continue!

Glad you caught up with the Small Pearl Bordered Frits too; such a lovely butterfly.
It’s fantastic when certain species enjoy a population explosion. I’m hoping that some summer butterflies will surprise us all with a few fireworks too.

I’ll never get enough of both PBFs and SPBFs, I think that goes for just about everyone else here too.

Many thanks for the comments,

Best wishes,

James
Butterflysaurus rex

Spring meets summer

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to arrive when Neil Hulme, Gary.N, and Andrew555 were photographing the now famous SPBF ab infraclara + trans. ab. vanescens:
I only got the chance to take a single open wing shot before the cool and overcast weather sent it to roost but the result wasn’t too bad!

Then last Friday, on the last day of May I spent a magical evening with some Small-Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. I was a bit surprised to find myself practically alone meeting only two other gentlemen before they left. The setting sun imbued everything with a pale golden light making the Small-pearls glow an intense fiery orange. This made them easy to spot, shining brightly like jewels making for a very special and memorable experience.

Also seen that evening several Small Heath at roost.

And a true herald of Summer my first Large Skipper of the year.

During my visit the peace was suddenly broken by the roar of low flying aircraft, looking up I saw two USAF Dakotas almost certainly destined for the D-day commemorations. A pertinent reminder of how much we owe that generation.

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are cracking images of the Small Pearls Rex :D :mrgreen: I generally try for them first thing in the morning as they're just waking up but you get a different tint from evening ones :D :mrgreen: Won't be long until thr DGFs are out - where is this year disappearing too? :shock: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Those are cracking images of the Small Pearls Rex :D :mrgreen: I generally try for them first thing in the morning as they're just waking up but you get a different tint from evening ones :D :mrgreen: Won't be long until thr DGFs are out - where is this year disappearing too? :shock: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thank you Wurzel :D I must say you’ve taken some really cracking images of some Pearls yourself, very nice indeed. I agree early mornings are great too, I only wish I was great in the mornings! Yes I know what you mean, it all goes much too quickly.

Thanks for your comment, most appreciated.

James
David M

Post by David M »

That female Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary is to die for, James. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a peaceful, serene and highly satisfying moment for you.

Return to “Personal Diaries”