Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

With five weeks still to go now is the time to start thinking about choosing your overall favourite! :D As for this week – it feels like we’re going back in time and just starting winter! :(

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by Goldie M »

7th of July was when I got my shot of a Silver washed Fritillary it was at Fermyn Woods and I was looking for his majesty , needless to say he was far up in the tree's and although I saw him , no chance of a shot.
The weather was really hot and the ground very dry and the SWF were few and far between, I got a few shots but I'd to wait until I got to East Blean Woods before I saw more but unfortunately no shots . :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b224.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b223.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Most of my SWF pictures are from a day at Bookham in the company of Millerd, about halfway through the flight period when they've calmed down significantly enough to become easy targets. In the warm overcast conditions they were mostly intent on feeding... apart from the occasional squadron of males harassing the odd female...
Silver-washed Fritillary courting, Bookham Commons.JPG
Mostly though the females were left alone :)
Silver-washed Fritillary female, Bookham Commons #2.JPG
Silver-washed Fritillary female, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

The Saturday 13th July after spotting the PE at Aversley Wood. I set off up the hill (Hill :lol: it's a about 33ft above sea level, I live at 4ft) in the hope they were still around, it was late in the season though. Hoping to engage the local community I mentioned it on the local FB page. 'Twas not to be but a young man who lives here also was on the look out, I count that as a win :-) he had done some birding but not butterflies before. Anyway while we were scanning the area I noticed a particular butterfly which settle high in a bush, I beckoned him to come see the Silver-washed Fritillary sp Valesina. Now I have seen these before but from afar and never got close enough as they prefer the shade and have settled out of clear view. I couldn't believe how lucky we got (he was!) when it descended to a Bramble right by the bench we were sitting, Not great pics she never stayed still long, seeking nectar but I suspect not overly happy in this sunny and hot location, but my best so far.
Valesina 0008.jpg
Valesina_0048.jpg
Valesina 0084.jpg
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

From Bavins Shaw, North Kent on 13th. July. That day, I counted nine males, all patrolling a short stretch of path around one particular Buddleia bush and chasing each other...

I saw one solitary female further down the track, hiding from all the attention...

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I knew I would have to choose one of my Valesina photos from Bucknell Wood but which one?

After dithering for some time, I have chosen this one for its lightness, glittering in the early morning sun - almost a Platinum-washed Frit!
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 3rd July 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/640s@f/8 ISO640
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 3rd July 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/640s@f/8 ISO640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:...After dithering for some time, I have chosen this one for its lightness, glittering in the early morning sun - almost a Platinum-washed Frit!
Nicely captured, Mike. Almost a cobalt-blue dusting on that hindwing. :)
David M

Post by David M »

In Pembrokeshire, I often see SWFs into September. No chance of that in 2018 following the heatwave; even by 16 August, females were looking decidedly worn out:
1SWFfemale(1).jpg
dave,b,james

Post by dave,b,james »

My favourite Silver-washed Fritillary photo has to come from an amazing day on one of my many trips to Bucknell Wood last summer recording the butterflies.The area had a fantastic amount of Silver-washed Fritillaries nectaring and not only did this beautiful form valezina pose nicely for a snap it was joined by a couple of nice abberrations too, pics of which I've also inlcuded below!
Silver-washed Fritillary form valezina, Bucknell Wood
Silver-washed Fritillary form valezina, Bucknell Wood
Silver-washed Fritillary ab.confluens
Silver-washed Fritillary ab.confluens
Silver-washed Fritillary ab.nigricans
Silver-washed Fritillary ab.nigricans
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw my first Silver-washed Fritillaries of 2018 in Fermyn Woods in late June but I was concentrating on Purple Emperors for most of the morning and by the afternoon they were bombing around at high speed in the hot afternoon sun so no photos of them from that trip.

In early July a visit to Snitterfield Bushes by Stratford-upon-Avon produced good numbers including a valesina. It was another very warm day but a few wandering clouds slowed them down occasionally which enabled me to get a few photos.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
Silver-washed Fritillary male underside - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
Silver-washed Fritillary male underside - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
Silver-washed Fritillary female valesina underside - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
Silver-washed Fritillary female valesina underside - Snitterflied Bushes 04.07.2019
A couple of weeks later there were plenty flying at Oversley Wood but most were looking worn and tired by now after almost continuous activity in the warm conditions.
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Oversley Wood 18.07.2018
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Oversley Wood 18.07.2018
Cheers,

Neil.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here we have an A. pamphilus f. valezina from the south of France on 7th July:
paphia31 female valezina La Taurelle_83 07Jul18 (1).JPG
Chris
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-washed Fritillary

I didn’t have much luck with this species this year and they were one of those species which were almost ‘blink and you’d missed them’. Whilst trekking round Bentley they seemed to be fewer in number than in recent years so choosing my Fave was quite easy. I went for this one as I love the way that it illustrates their cryptic patterning. One minute big ginger Beastie – the next it vanishes amid the fronds.
DSC_0182 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

dave,b,james wrote:...The area had a fantastic amount of Silver-washed Fritillaries nectaring and not only did this beautiful form valezina pose nicely for a snap it was joined by a couple of nice abberrations too, pics of which I've also inlcuded below!
Fabulous, Dave! That sure was a productive day.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I got some lovely images of SWF from a visit to Alners Gorse on 26th June. My favourite is this action shot of one moments away from being ambushed!
IMG_9065.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

CallumMac wrote:I got some lovely images of SWF from a visit to Alners Gorse on 26th June. My favourite is this action shot of one moments away from being ambushed!
Need to shout "Look behind you!"
millerd

Post by millerd »

My most memorable individual SWF from 2018 was the first valezina I have seen in many years of looking. It sadly didn't open up for a photo, but the underside shots provide the record.
SWFv1 160718.JPG
SWFv2 160718.JPG
Seen at Chiddingfold on 16th July.

Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Silver-washed Fritillaries were abounding in this particular woodland glade at Sillans-la-Cascade (Var, France) in June. This photo makes a change from the numerous ones where the butterfly disappears before the photo is taken!
Dsc04784b.jpg

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”