Tanacetum vulgare any use?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Deborah

Tanacetum vulgare any use?

Post by Deborah »

Hello. Does anyone have any idea if common Tansy is any good for nectaring butterflies - or indeed any other wildlife. I'm tackling an out of control border at the moment and starting hacking at it and muttering that I'll dig it out, and then wondered if it's of any use?
Thanks for any advice.
Allan.W.

Re: Tanacetum vulgare any use?

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Deborah,
At Dungeness (Kent ) there is a fair clump of Tansey ,close to the old lighthouse ,and it does seem to attract butterflies ,I,ve watched Common Blue ,Brown Args ,and Small Coppers all nectaring from the plants, i,ve posted a couple of shots of Common Blues on Tansey .
P1180652.JPG
P1180549.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Excellent! Thanks Allan. A reason to keep it (and save myself some work in the process :D) I'll just have to try and keep it well staked next year and watch out for any interest.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Also there's this little critter:

https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs-and-hab ... nsy-beetle

Very rare and restricted to just 2 sites in the UK although I'm not sure of it's european status.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

We kept a good patch of tansy in our previous garden. It was an excellent hoverfly nectar plant; I seem to remember the Gatekeepers using it as well (they certainly like other, similar, yellow flowers - ragwort and fleabane).

Moths - there is a Tansy Plume https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/gillmeria-ochrodactyla, and a number of the tiny, pretty Dichrorampha species use it as their foodplant as well.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Ok. Ok. I'm keeping the Tansy! In fact I'm glad it's there now. I got given it originally at a plant exchange - where, generally, you offload rampant things onto poor unsuspecting victims. It was when I first moved in and had an empty field to fill. Now I've a full field, so am trying to prioritise, but want to keep anything useful for butterflies :D
David M

Post by David M »

Given how much Small Coppers seem to covet fleabane, I'd be surprised if they weren't strongly attracted to tansy as well!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Given a choice, they prefer ragwort; we had a self-seeded ragwort amongst the fleabane in the garden this year, and the Small Coppers and Gatekeepers went for that. They also enjoy marjoram and small scabious, but not to quite the extent of the yellow flowers.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”