Small Copper - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

Only 5 weeks remaining now for this series of Posts - so if you haven't already now would be the time to start working out your overall favourite for the final week!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Small Copper - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by bugboy »

It seemed like these were going to have another dreadful year (except at Dungeness of course), but by late summer they seemed to have a bit of a population explosion and I started seeing them everywhere. The returned to my local patch and I was practically tripping over them at Bookham. They're such a photogenic little butterfly that it was inevitable I was going to end up with hundreds of pictures so here's favourites from some of the places I saw them last year:
Walthamstow Marshes
Walthamstow Marshes
South Downs Way, Eastbourne.
South Downs Way, Eastbourne.
Epping Forest
Epping Forest
Of the (probable) hundreds I saw at Bookham this one stands out for me simply because I found him whilst looking for Brown Hairstreak eggs at the beginning of November!
Small Copper male, Bookham Commons #123.JPG
And lets not forget my first wild larvae, from eggs I'd been monitoring after watching a female lay.
Small Copper larvae, Bookham Commons #5.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's always a pleasure to spot one of these lively butterflies, which seem able to turn up almost anywhere. My 'favourite' was taken at the Warburg reserve, near Henley:
Warburg Reserve, Bix - 30th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - !/1000s@f/11 ISO640
Warburg Reserve, Bix - 30th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - !/1000s@f/11 ISO640
Mike
celery

Post by celery »

This from my first visit to a privately-owned meadow in my home village, Vale of Belvoir. Dateline: May 17th.
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
millerd

Post by millerd »

After one of the worst starts to a season for finding this species that I can remember, towards the end of the summer they started to appear. The best part of this was their reappearance on my local patch after a three year absence, and regularly from August to October. It's very hard to select a favourite from these, so here is a composite of images taken locally on 2nd October (as mentioned before, one of the best butterfly days of 2016 locally).
SC 021016-tile.jpg
However, probably my favourite individual shot was from a late afternoon walk at Aston Rowant on 14th August. The intensity of the colour (enhanced by the lowering sun) was amazing.
SC1 140816.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my first and only Small Copper at Hall-Lee-Brook on the 5th Aug just before I went down to Kent, I wasn't able to go back to HLB so I was very pleased to have seen one especially when I didn't see any more that year. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5159.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5091.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Tried really hard to limit my Small Copper favourite to just one(or two),but just Couldn,t manage it,all of my shots are from Dungeness (Kent),where they appeared to buck the national trend,and appeared in very large numbers,i believe "Hoggers " made a count of over 500
on one weekend,and I had several 150+ counts myself, and the variety was incredible,with at least 5 different AB;Radiata turning up in one week alone . they seem well spread out across the whole peninsula,but certain areas ,seem to be "hotspots",in particular the moat area around the observatory. Towards the end of the season ,I started looking at other sites ,(around a dozen) and found Coppers ,in all but one ,and in 2017 I intend
to look at more areas that I,ve earmarked over the winter.I Had some,great mornings on the shingle,this past season,found some brilliant Coppers,and had some interesting chats with " Hoggers",normally ,I was leaving ,as he was starting ! really enjoyed our note swapping ,heres to 2017 !!

Regards Allan W.
P1050267.JPG
P1020421.JPG
P1030856.JPG
P1070048.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That last blue badge radiata is is pretty special Allan :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:That last blue badge radiata is is pretty special Allan :mrgreen:
Agreed...I have never seen that combination before :D

Small Copper is unfortunately another species that did not do well locally, in fact I only found a couple of individuals at my usual sites.

This species seemed to do better later in the year at more southern sites where it usually has 3 or 4 broods, 2 or maybe 3 in a good year being more usual here in the midlands.

I found good numbers scattered across the dunes at Upton Towans near Hayle in Cornwall in early September...
Small Copper - Upton Towans 04.09.2016
Small Copper - Upton Towans 04.09.2016
Small Copper - Upton Towans 08.09.2016
...and a day walking the coast path between Kynance Cove and Lizard point produced more Small Coppers than I have ever seen before at one site. I gave up counting after 100 and just enjoyed the experience :D. Notable features of this population was the large size of some of the females and the number of var. caeruleopunctata which consisted of 50% or more with some degree of blue spotting.
Small Copper - The  Lizard 0.09.2016
Small Copper - The Lizard 0.09.2016
Unfortunately the large size of many of the the females doesn't really come across in photos but the example below was particularly impressive,
Small Copper female - The  Lizard 0.09.2016
Small Copper female - The Lizard 0.09.2016
I also saw many instances of attempted courtship most of which were rejected with what Hoggers calls 'The Turkey Dance'...
Small Coppers - The  Lizard 0.09.2016
Small Coppers - The Lizard 0.09.2016
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Copper

This was taken ‘up the Lane’ during my August trip to my Outlaws. I’m normally able to latch onto Wall Browns somewhere on this trip but not so this year. Hence one of the reasons for this being my fave – it was compensation for missing other species. My other reason for choosing this particular shot was because of the nature of the image. It really stood out against the background and the angle its holding it wings at seems fairly typical for Coppers, at least from my experience.
Sma C.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This is my favourite of numerous third brood Small Coppers that I saw during October along a Wealden woodland edge.
Attachments
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
IAC

Post by IAC »

Only one place in Berwickshire, can I guarantee a spectacular number of the Small Copper each and every season. The second brood numbers are always predictably high. So, St Abbs Head NNR July 2016 just as the second brood were emerging onto the scene.
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for comments on the Radiata/ Caerleopunctata ("blue badge") Copper ,Neil and Bugboy, was really pleased to find this beauty
I,ve never seen one quite like it before either,saw it on two separate occasions,but sadly it seems,no one else did. Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see too many of these in 2016, which is a worry as they've had a few poor years lately. In spite of only having one antenna, this caeroleopunctata specimen was the most striking I encountered, on the Isle of Man on 5th August:
1SmCopp1(1).jpg
1SmCopp2(1).jpg

Return to “Small Copper”