Pretty Butterflies Diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
prettybutterfly

Pretty Butterflies Diary

Post by prettybutterfly »

Hello everybody and welcome to my new diary. I like looking at all of the different species in UK and on holiday with my family.
At this time of year I like watching Orange Tips mating and looking for their eggs. They are one of my favourite butterflies.

Yesterday, I went on a walk with my Dad near where we live and I had my first close up view of Green Hairstreaks. We were lucky to find a mating pair. I hope you like them.

Emma
7.5.16 walk (11).JPG
7.5.16 walk (10).JPG
Emma.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pretty Butterflies Diary

Post by Padfield »

Morning Emma!

I think you might be the only person in the world to have a selfie with mating green hairstreaks in the background. :D OK - I expect your Dad took the picture, but it's pretty special!

We look forward to more of your entries.

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Emma

Welcome to the forum. What a fantastic way to start your diary. I have been wanting to see a pair of Green Hairstreaks mating for several years now, so as Guy says, a very special memory for you. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well I thought I had a good day with Green Hairstreaks the other day but I think you trumped me there with one picture!

Also good to see the next generation of butterflers out there following the passion :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

All those years of butterflying ahead of you! I wish I had been keeping a diary 70+ years ago (yes 70+) when i started butterflying. By the time you reach my age, you will have some marvellous memories to look back on.

But you will be hard pressed to beat the memory of those Green Hairstreaks. I hope you will recall this thread in 2186 with a happy smile on your face :!:

jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

As others have written, that's a great start to your diary. I look forward to seeing more. Many years ago, my son persuaded me that we should set out to photograph all the British species. Until then, I had just photographed local species, not on any systematic basis but simply because they make pretty photos.

It took us several years to complete our plan - sometimes one of us got ahead and then the other. The Chequered Skipper was our final challenge and, by then, my son was old enough for us to celebrate with a bottle of Champagne!

Mike

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

... celebrate with a bottle of Champagne!
Mustn't give the young lady ideas Mike!

My advice is that Tesco's or Sainsbury's Cava is almost as good as Champers and a great deal cheaper.

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You're quite right, Jack - it's just that Champagne has become a metaphor for celebration.

jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Jack Harrison wrote:I hope you will recall this thread in 2186 with a happy smile on your face :!:

jack
My rudimentary grasp of arithmetic tells me that you might need to change the battery in your calculator, Jack. (2186, indeed.)

Great shots Emma - particularly impressed with the portrait one.

Best, Jon

David M

Post by David M »

I've been looking for years but have only once ever stumbled across mating Green Hairstreaks.

How about flagging up mating Red Admirals as your next challenge! :)

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My rudimentary grasp of arithmetic tells me that you might need to change the battery in your calculator, Jack. (2186, indeed.)
More likely, I might need a new left hand typing finger :oops:

It's reassuring that people actually read the rubbish that I write.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Actually, that couldn't have been a typo. The 1 and the 0 keys are activated by opposite hands. Oh dear. Pass.

Jack

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Emma,

I can only echo what others have said...that is a cracking first post in your new personal diary with some great photos of the Green Hairstreak pair :D

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

For your first close up view of Green Hairstreaks it doesn't get any better than that Emma! A great start to your diary. :D

James

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments on my first diary. I hope to have some more things to share soon.

Emma

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

If you are still around in 2186 (my erroneous date entry) then you will certainly have seen a lot by then :D

You might have realised that 70 years down the road, (see May sightings), I still get a huge kick from seeing a solitary Orange Tip.

Butterflies are a wonderful obsession perhaps only equalled by birds. Smart Phones (and the like) will come and go. Butterflies are forever. Enjoy.

Jack

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

And a welcome to the forums from me too, Emma. That really is a fantastic shot - well done!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A very warm welcome from me too- and what a great first picture! I also have seen mating Green Hairstreaks only once, near Polperro in Cornwall. I hope that photographing and, especially, observing butterflies and wildlife gives you many years of pleasure,as it does me.

prettybutterfly

Post by prettybutterfly »

We've had Holly Blues in our garden for the last week.They flutter round our hedge and land letting me take pictures.
Last year we planted Garlic Mustard in our garden and the last week I saw a female Orange Tip fly down near the Garlic Mustard thinking it just wants nectar but this week we found six Orange Tip eggs.

Below are pictures of what I saw,I hope you like them.
Holly Blue - Garden.JPG
orange tip egg.JPG
Orange Tip on Garlic Mustard - Garden (1).JPG
From Emma.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Plenty of Holly Blues in my garden, too, but they wont stop for photos :(

Good to spot the Orange Tip eggs - they stand out rather well in that bright orange colour.

I was looking at the EXIF data on your photos, which show the exposure details, and notice that you appear to be using a short (4.5mm) focal length setting. I think you might get better results by using the zoom on your SX610, so that you don't have to get so close, and you will get a larger image. Even so, you have some nice photos but it's always worth experimenting with different settings on your camera.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”