mud-puddling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
mud-puddling

Kithurst Hill

Post by mud-puddling »

Following some recent reports of Clouded Yellows across Sussex, I set off early to Kithurst Hill, with the plan to catch them before the temperature got to high. I arrived just after 7am and soon found plenty of roosting Common Blue, Brown Argus, and Chalkhill Blue; the latter were fairly worn and included this individual which I think looks like a good candidate for
ab. parallela (but I am only speculating from a few pictures I have seen and a description in Z. Wiss. Ins. Biol. 1907.3. p36).

As well as the Chalkhills, there were good numbers of Brown Argus (all in pretty good condition too) and Common Blue, plus Small Tortoiseshell, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Large White, Small White, Small Skipper, and my target for the day 3 Clouded Yellows. I saw my first Sussex Clouded Yellow in 3 years around 09:15, the cloud cover was good so it was fairly docile and easy to photograph. However as soon as the sun appeared it was a different story! I saw another 1, possibly 2 individuals before I left just before 10am.

Later in the afternoon, I had another 6 separate sightings of Clouded Yellow at Pulborough Brooks, plus Peacock, Speckled Wood, and Brimstone to add to the day's tally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48896022@N08/
Attachments
Chalkhill Blue, Lysandra Coridon
Chalkhill Blue, Lysandra Coridon
Clouded Yellow, Colias croceus
Clouded Yellow, Colias croceus
Brown Argus, Aricia agestis

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: Kithurst Hill

Post by David M »

Nice shots, MP.

Glad you found your quarry.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
mud-puddling

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Swallowtail East Sussex Still Present Sunday

Can it get any better? After seeing reports of a European Swallowtail in East Sussex (Windover Hill) on Friday and Saturday, and with the heavy rain and cold temperatures seemingly set in, I thought I'd chance my luck and see if it was still present this am. Arriving at just before 7, I met Gary (Faulkner) and we trudged up the very steep chalk path to the site. An hour later, after a seemingly fruitless search hiking up and down the slopes in the pouring rain, I'd all but given up. But luckily there were others searching and they eventually found it, just to the side of the main footpath. Oh how easy it could have been! It was seemingly in the same spot as it had been on Friday and Saturday, and wasn't moving fast! Lots of photos to process but here are a selection. Maybe a tad worn but I never thought I'd see a Swallowtail in Sussex so well chuffed:-)
Attachments
01 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
01 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
02 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
02 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
03 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
03 European Swallowtail, P.m.gorganus
Last edited by mud-puddling on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Re: mud-puddling

Post by David M »

Excellent stuff. I'm so pleased you got your reward.

Nice images too!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Arghh I was going to go and see if it was still there today but I couldn't make it! I wonder if there's a chance it will still be there tomorrow.

Well done lovely shots :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Leigh
Super pics. Once in a lifetime opportunity, perhaps :D It was a bit too far for me this weekend. I am still trying to find my first Brown Hairstreak :(

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Hi Jack, no I doubt there be many opportunities like that :-) was pretty amazing to see. I know what you mean re Brown Hairstreaks, hard to pin down even when you know where to go. Weather and time of day a key. Regards, Leigh

mud-puddling

A little blue but happy

Post by mud-puddling »

On Wednesday evening I visited Chantry Hill on the search for some roosting Grizzled Skippers. Not to be disappointed I found with Katrina's help 3 Grizzleds and 1 roosting Small Copper.
Grizzled Skipper, Chantry Hill
Grizzled Skipper, Chantry Hill
On my first visit to Kithurst Hill this year (Sunday 4th May), I was pleased to see the abundance of Cowslips in bloom but the highlight of course was a lone Duke of Burgundy. Whilst not one for posing, I managed a few pleasing images. And just as I was leaving an added bonus in the form of a freshly emerged Small Blue! Got to just love that colour!? The season (and the weather) it seems is hotting up!
Small Blue, Kithurst Hill
Small Blue, Kithurst Hill
Duke of Burgundy, Kithurst Hill
Duke of Burgundy, Kithurst Hill
Last edited by mud-puddling on Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Beautiful, Leigh :)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
mud-puddling

An evening stroll around Mill Hill, West Sussex

Post by mud-puddling »

Had a good little stroll around the Southern Slope at Mill Hill this evening - Adonis, Common Blue, Dingy Skipper and best of all a posing Grizzled which started off wings open and then eventually closed as the sun went down. Some photos below and on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48896022@ ... 4003076288
Adonis Blue, Polyommatus bellargus
Common Blue, Polyommatus icarus
Common Blue, Polyommatus icarus
Grizzled Skipper, Pyrgus malvae

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Thanks to Neil I managed to be witness to the historic emergence of British born European Swallowtails in Sussex. This photograph of a beautiful female European Swallowtail was taken up on the downs near home. I'm indebted Neil!

Here are just a few of the many, many photographs I took.

Female European Swallowtail, Papilio machaon gorganus
Attachments
Last edited by mud-puddling on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Leigh,

The first shot in particular is a cracker. You did her justice. Hope you didn't get indigestion over your lunch-break!

BWs, Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've long been a fan of your photography Leigh (as mentioned recently in my diary) and those are beautiful images. I'm so pleased you decided to share them with us :D

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Another shot of the Steyning European Swallowtail. What a stunning insect - the underwing as beautiful as the upper.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Yes indeed some really wonderful creative imagery Leigh.

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Just back from a week on the Isle of Wight on a family holiday (the location was not influenced in the slightest by the opportunity to photograph the Glanville Fritillary). I saw good numbers despite it being towards the end of their season. Whilst most I saw were past their best I found a good population on the 11th (I can only guestimate there were at least 30 individuals) just east of Compton Bay (which was a bit of a hotspot for me last year but not this) which had a few seemingly freshly emerged specimen's, including this individual (below), and a few mating pairs.

Now I've never witnessed a pair of butterflies in coitus before but one pair I watched where still doing their thing 22 minutes after I first found them together!
Glanville Fritillary, Melitaea cinxia
I have to particularly thank Andy Butler (I hope you read this) who I met at Bonchurch 'Wheelers Bay' on the Monday previous for the tip (I was with my wife and 2 young children).

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Somr interesting commentaries and lovely pictures …..

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

And here is the pic of the mating couple. A marathon event by all accounts...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots mud-puddling :D :mrgreen: I remember from a similar experience that the Glannies certainly have some stamina :oops: We'd take a few shots, go and find something else and then come back for a few more shots etc etc.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Nice to hear they're still about in decent numbers in mid-June.

Return to “Personal Diaries”