Gothic_dreams

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gothic_dreams

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

After my dad, who posts on UKB as nfreem, got me interested in butterflies and nature, he kindly gave me his old camera and after following my dads diary on here for a few months now I decided to give it ago myself to keep a personal track of what I see out and about and also to practice and improve my photography skills as this is something I am new to, so all advice, hints and tips welcome.

Since receiving the camera I haven’t had many opportunities to get out and about due to work and the recent bad weather, however this month I have managed 2 lovely outings with the father. The first of these was to Bishops Hill, which provided me my first chance to try out taking some photos as this is something I have never done before.

This was back on 09/06/12 and the day was cloudy but pleasant with occasional bright spells and just warm enough for a few things to be out and about. While there we saw Common Blues, Small Blues, a couple of Grizzled Skippers and Small Heaths and a couple of faded Dingy Skippers. We also managed to see a few Burnet Companion moths and a single Yellow Shell moth.
White-Legged damselfly
White-Legged damselfly
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Burnet Companion moth
Burnet Companion moth
Faded Dingy Skipper
Faded Dingy Skipper
Yellow Shell moth - not great quality
Yellow Shell moth - not great quality
Small Blue underside
Small Blue underside
Common Blue female
Common Blue female
Common Blue male
Common Blue male
Common Blue underside
Common Blue underside

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Re: Gothic_dreams

Post by Susie »

Cracking photos! :D

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Well done Gothic Dreams! Wish my early butterfly shots had been as good as these. I particularly like your Grizzled Skipper. Keep posting please.

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you for the comments Susie and Colin, im glad you like the photos :D I shall be keeping a regular update of what i see out and about.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're giving your dad a run for his money there Gothic dreams - great grizzled skipper shots!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

It comes to something when I take him out and he takes better photos than me.....with my old camera as well :?

Best of it was, I completely missed the Grizzled Skipper being on another part of the site at the time.

Looks like I will have to up my game :wink:

Neil.

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Pauline, the Grizzled Skipper shot is one of my favourites too :)

Chris

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

The second of my outings with the father this month was at a place called Babbs Mill which we visited yesterday afternoon.

It was a fairly cloudy day with bright patches, however with it being a dry day and only being 10mins away from where I work, and being a place neither me or my dad had been before we took the opportunity to have a look to see if it would be a place worth while visiting over the next few months. Not expecting to see anything we were very happy and surprised to see a single Painted Lady, which was very faded and looked like it had seen better days, and a single fresh looking male Meadow Brown.

The place looked a lovely area and definitely a place worth checking again when the weather has improved.
Faded Painted Lady
Faded Painted Lady
Faded Painted Lady half open wings
Faded Painted Lady half open wings
Faded Painted Lady closed wings
Faded Painted Lady closed wings
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown underside
Male Meadow Brown underside
More to come

Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Chris - looking forward to the "more" that's following!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Wurzel, im pretty new to taking photos but look forward to getting out and about more over the summer and hopefully getting some good practice in over the coming months :)

Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Welcome Chris! I look forward to sharing the rest of your season through your diary. As others have commented, that's a great shot of the grizzly. It captures the species perfectly.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Guy, im glad you like the grizzly shot :D

Chris

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Chris,

Glad to see you`re following in your dads footsteps. If you have just picked up a camera for the first time then i would love to see your photos in a couple of months time, :D some lovely pictures already.

All the best,

Nick.

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Nick, im lucky that my dad gave me some good tips to get me started, and also the fact he gave me a pretty decent camera :) pretty pleased with my first shots but hopefully will improve over the coming months, reading tips from other members on this forum and a few outings with the father over the next few months should go along way to helping :)

Chris

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

lovely pictures, I really enjoyed seeing them. :) Debbie.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Chris,
I don't think you need any tips on photography. I think you should be passing tips on to us! I recently bought a Lumix FZ150, but like you I have been struggling to find days when I can use it so far this year.
Nick

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Photo's , keep them coming Goldie :D

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you for the kind comments Debbie, Nick and Goldie. Hopefully i will be able to get about a little more over july with a few days out planned with the father :)

Chris

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Chris,

I'm pleased to see you following in your fathers footsteps and also launching straight into a Personal Diary. Something I have still not got round to starting yet............ I am impressed with the quality of your photos and would be pleased if you could add your Meadow Brown male upperside to the Species-Specific Album when you get time.

Regards,

Vince

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you for the kind comments Vince, im glad you like the photos, I have added the Meadow Brown male upperside to the Species-Specific Album as requested :)

Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”