Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I went against my better judgement yesterday, I decided to visit Monkton NR, the Sun was shining when I set off but when I arrived at the reserve it had disappeared :roll: without the Sun there was also a stiff breeze, i didn't see one Butterfly :roll: I decided to call at Clowes Wood on the way back , still no Butterflies but the wood was full of people walking there Dogs,

I'm really glad I went to the park the day before and got some shots :D

Hi! David, the weather didn't last did it, :roll: I hope it's better for the Wedding, I've still to buy shoes and a hat ( I hate hats except when I'm Butterflying :D )
I'll be looking out for Butterflies whilst at the wedding :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"i didn't see one Butterfly :roll:" that's seems to have been the way of it this year...I've made several trips, some in almost ideal conditions and found absolutely zilch, but then at other times when it's blowing a gale or it's freezing cold I've seen several species :roll: Still it can only get better, and it'll soon be Grizzlie time:wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 am...I'll be looking out for Butterflies whilst at the wedding :D
Wouldn't expect anything less of you, Goldie. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At Last ,Sunshine! Still a cold wind here but nice in the Sun.

I was free at last from shopping for the wedding, got my Hat, Bag and Shoes at last, ( got the Dress a couple of weeks ago) :D One thing about the weather being bad I didn't need to bother too much about missing the Butterflies.

I went early this morning to castle Gardens, you still needed a coat because of the wind, the Holly Blues were flying but didn't stop for shots, they were the first Hollie Blue I've seen since I took a shot of one in my Garden , I've had none since then , even today I thought I'd see at Least one in the Garden but nothing came, hope fully that's not a bad sign.

In the Castle Gardens I got a shot of my first Comma, a bit weary looking but flying well :D there was lots of Small Whites has well, I managed to get a Male trying desperately to mate but she was having none of it and hid in the bush :D

Next I Spotted an Orange Tip, I followed it but it never landed :roll: I did get another Speckie though and that was it for the morning I'm afraid, I ended the afternoon mowing the Garden, at least I got a Comma shot :D Goldie
Attachments
IMG_0463.jpeg
IMG_0453.jpeg
IMG_0449.jpeg
IMG_0456.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_0459.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you back in the butterflies Goldie :D As you point out that has been the one thing about the inclement weather - you can get other things done without the fear of missing out :D Particularly like the first White shot 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It was great to get out and about again Wurzel in the sunshine, when I parked the car the first thing I saw has I walked down the path there was the white Butterfly in the same bush has I'd taken the shot of the Red Admiral, I was surprised the bush was still looking good and in flower :D I must find out what it's called.

The other two were in a bush that seemed to be sticky at the centre of the flowers , full of good stuff for the Butterflies :D

If the weather holds up tomorrow I'm off to Monkton NR , they have forecast heavy showers in the afternoon, not constant I hope! :D

Maybe I'll be able to catch up on what's going on in the posts now I'm not messing about with the wedding stuff :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0440.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"If the weather holds up tomorrow I'm off to Monkton NR , they have forecast heavy showers in the afternoon, not constant I hope! "go anyway but take a coat, that's what I've been doing this season - if I'd stayed in because of the weather I don't think I'd have seen anything :shock: :roll: :lol: Lovely Red Admiral by the way :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you've caught up with Commas, Goldie. Hopefully things will warm up a little so you can see a few more butterflies.

It'd be nice if it stayed sunny during the wedding too.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, the weddings been held outside, if the weathers bad we'll probably be inside, I hope :D I've been lucky today David :D

I put off going to Monkton because there was a cold wind and no Sun but today the Sun was out and when I got to the Reserve it was really hot, wouldn't you know I'd taken a thick Sweater :D

It's a Nature Reserve within a Quarry so quite sheltered and Hot when the Sun shines, the first Butterfly I saw after walking through the wood was the Brimstone, I was lucky when it landed on the Blue Bells but even luckier when I spotted two more courting :lol: I couldn't resist taking lots of shots hoping the Male would open it's wings, finally it did :D

After speaking to one of the reserves people I asked if he'd seen the Green Hair Streak , he said he hadn't so far this year so hope fully I'll save it for another day, he did say he'd just seen his first Orange Tip and pointed me to where he'd seen it and sure enough to my delight it was settling down on what looked like stalks, I'd never seen them doing that before, I always thought they preferred Flowers. I got lots of shots and happy with my adventure returned home. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Brimstone shots Goldie 8) I haven't managed any like that this season :mrgreen: Cracking OTs too 8) Saw my first Grizzlie yesterday so might be time to tick them off your list :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Interesting Brimstone images, Goldie, and that Orange Tip is divine. :mrgreen:

Hope you get a few more days like that with some warm sunshine (especially the day of the wedding).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Raining here at present Wurzel, but i'd a great time getting those shots :D It's the Wedding next Sunday so I'll have to put the Grizzlies back a bit :)

I'm trying to get my Grandson to take me there he's moving house in a fortnight so hope fully he'll fit it in before then,(fingers crossed) :D

Hi! David, I think the forecast is for a Sunny day so I may see a few more Butterflies at the wedding, :D I think it's near Temple Ewell has well Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today after doing the washing I decided to go to Reculver to see if the Wall Butterflies were out, when I got there I didn't have to wait, they were there and very active :D

I didn't manage to get an opened winged one but just a partial :D they didn't stay around long enough :D when I got home the Holly Blue were darting about under the washing I was so pleased to see them I did think this bad weather had done some damage, I also managed a shot :D

Hope the weather keeps up :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Walls Goldie, you did well to capture them as they generally seem even more twitchy this time of year :D :D Good luck with the Grizzlies :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I see things are brightening up round your way, Goldie. :)

Love that first Wall Brown image. It's caught the light perfectly!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I always find the Wall hard work :roll: so if I get at least one decent shot I'm happy :D

Has for the Grizzlies , I don't know my way there, I've to depend on my Grandson to take me , he runs a burger place and with the nice weather we're having he's been very busy so I'll just have to wait and see, it's just a pity there's none near me or I'd be off on my own.

I've been lucky recently because all the places or only 10 mins a way with the exception of Temple Ewell which is bit further. I plan to go there soon but I'll try Sea Salter first :D

Thanks David, they were certainly busy :D Things are definitely picking up here, I just hope it keeps good weather for the wedding , I've to mow the garden now I've left it too long with going for the Butterflies :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”