How to find winter moths?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Alastair Rae

How to find winter moths?

Postby Alastair Rae » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm

I've seen references to folks finding various species on winter moths "while searching tree trunks". I assume this involves torch-light manoeuvres in the dark but could people suggest the best sort of habitat / times of night / tips for finding the beasts?

Allan.W.

Re: How to find winter moths?

Postby Allan.W. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello Alastair,
Although most moth enthusiasts have packed their moth traps away over the winter period ,some die-hards probably will run them on suitable
nights for the winter species,and I would think that a trap would be your best bet ,but don,t expect large numbers ,I would think you,d be very lucky
to catch 4 or 5 , other methods may work ,I don,t know if "sugaring " with a suitable mix may work but who knows ......... give it a go !
a few days ago I had a Winter moth (Operophtera brumata ) on the outside of my kitchen door ,and local moth-ers are posting bits and pieces . Good luck !! Regards Allan.W.

Blackfish

Re: How to find winter moths?

Postby Blackfish » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Searching tree trunks by torchlight is a technique for finding flightless females. The male Winter moth comes to light readily and as mentioned above will come to a well lit kitchen window at this time of year.

Return to “General”