Portugese Blue?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Portugese Blue?

Postby Wurzel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm

I took this shot and a few others in August 2016 in Lisbon. At the time I thought that it was a Common Blue but I felt there was something different about it which I couldn't put my finger on...is it just a Common Blue? Any help greatly appreciated?

DSC_0344 - Copy.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Chris Jackson

Re: Portugese Blue?

Postby Chris Jackson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Wurzel,
I think the answer lies in the 2 key identifiers : plain fringe and presence of underside forewing cell spot.
If this had been seen in France there could only be two possibilities : P. icarus and P. eros.
Knowing that, and lacking an upperside view or recollection of striking upperside colours, geographical and altitude distribution may then reduce the possibilities. I am at work and don't have any books with me. We now need to know what flies in Portugal with these 2 criteria.
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://sites.google.com/site/mespapill ... baume/home
Note: My photos are not covered by copyright. Please feel free to copy for charitable use.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Portugese Blue?

Postby Padfield » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

Yes - this is icarus, subject to the qualification that the distribution of Polyommatus celina is poorly known and might, conceivably, extend to Portugal. Current maps don't have it there, though.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: http://www.guypadfield.com

Return to “Identification”