SimonC69

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
SimonC69

Re: SimonC69

Postby SimonC69 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:01 pm

David M wrote:.....Keep perservering. Small Blues are normally pretty obliging subjects....

They were a little more obliging today (and there were a lot more on the wing today)

MAC_3687_DxO.jpg

small blue in cop.jpg
Finally got the first "in Cop" photo for my collection :)

I think these may be on their way to knocking Small copper off the top of my "favourite british Butterfly" list :) (Until I see my first Small copper of the year that is maybe)

bugboy

Postby bugboy » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 pm

That's a great in cop shot, I especially like the shape made by their joined abdomens, very arty :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Great stuff Simon :D They certainly are throwing an interesting shape with their abdomens :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Postby millerd » Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 pm

A nice shot of the pairing, Simon, however uncomfortable it might look... :)

Dave

David M

Postby David M » Wed May 31, 2017 9:11 pm

SimonC69 wrote:
David M wrote:.....Keep perservering. Small Blues are normally pretty obliging subjects....

They were a little more obliging

That's more like it! :)

SimonC69

up to 36/50

Postby SimonC69 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 am

Well, I've not been keeping this dairy updated quite as much as I'd hoped to be doing, but, as it always seems to do, life dealt me and (more specifically) Mrs C a really crappy hand back in April so my my plans for butterfly visits have been severely restricted.
We did manage a trip to Strumpshaw fen a few weeks ago (where I only managed very distant views of Swallowtail) but the few trips since haven't really produced the goods.
I did, however finally get round to visiting a very local site for White-letter Hairstreaks this morning before work.
I might have looked a bit odd standing looking at a group of Elm trees in the middle of town at 6.30 this morning but I don't care, as after a few false alarms (who knew Meadow Browns liked basking on Elms!?) I managed to spot at least 3 (possibly 4 or 5) WLHs.
I was happy enough to just see them through my bins, but luckily one did come down low enough for me to get a few shots that are at least mediocre. But they get me closer to 50.

Cheers

Simon

swallowtail crop.jpg
This is heavily cropped. But it's a swallowtail, it counts!

WLH1.jpg
Not as good as I'd have liked to get, too high for me to get the angle. But it'll do.

bugboy

Postby bugboy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am

Yup that Swallowtail most definitely counts :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!

David M

Postby David M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes, unambiguously Swallowtail and White Letter Hairstreak, which in anyone's book is an enviable pairing.

SimonC69

Postby SimonC69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am

Cheers chaps.

Realised yesterday that all 7 lifers this year I was wearing a Black Sabbath T-Shirt.
I don't think I dare go looking for the next couple without it's Talismanic properties. :D

jenks

Postby jenks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 am

Simon, 7 lifers in one year is good going ! Good luck in your quest to photograph all the UK species before you reach 50. I had to make this point, however. You have given me a mental picture of Black Sabbath`s Ozzie Osborne out looking for butterflies ! An image that I`m having difficulty in shaking off ! And of course he would have to be searching for Black Hairstreak, wouldn`t he ? Me, I`m more of an old folkie so I`ll have to wear my Fairport Convention and Cropreddy t-shirt when butterflying. Who knows where the time goes ?
Regards,
Jenks

peterc

Postby peterc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 am

jenks wrote:Simon, 7 lifers in one year is good going ! Good luck in your quest to photograph all the UK species before you reach 50. I had to make this point, however. You have given me a mental picture of Black Sabbath`s Ozzie Osborne out looking for butterflies ! An image that I`m having difficulty in shaking off ! And of course he would have to be searching for Black Hairstreak, wouldn`t he ? Me, I`m more of an old folkie so I`ll have to wear my Fairport Convention and Cropreddy t-shirt when butterflying. Who knows where the time goes ?
Regards,
Jenks

Don't get me started, Jenks :) . Sandy Denny had a dream of a voice and of course THAT song was one of her best.

ATB

Peter

SimonC69

Postby SimonC69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 am

Hahaha. Yeah, I've been to Cropredy a few times in my youth. And Cambridge folk festival (do they still do the chair jump challenge on the last night? ;) ) and going to my fourth Folk by the Oak this year (Kate Rusby!) But yeah, I'm more an aging rocker with a wider taste in music. (The hair started going 20 odd years ago so I'm compensating with the beard :D)

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi! Simon, your one up on me with the Hair Streak i've yet to see one, I hope to put that right this year. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Any photo of a White-letter is worthwhile Simon - I've seen them the last 6 years but only got photos from two of them :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

SimonC69

Postby SimonC69 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Wurzel wrote:Any photo of a White-letter is worthwhile Simon - I've seen them the last 6 years but only got photos from two of them :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Thanks Wurzel.
The first three shots that morning were the classic "where's Wally" type shot but luckily (because I decided I could afford to get to work a few minutes later than usual) that one came tantalisingly close to ideal height. I might try again soon.

SimonC69

No new species, but...

Postby SimonC69 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:44 pm

I went out this lunchtime hoping for an (early?) Essex Skipper, without success but I came a bit closer to getting some of the "extra" shots that are on my wishlist.
Overcast and a bit too windy really but the Marbled Whites were still far too flighty to get anything decent on.
Except one.
I found one newly emerged right by the path and as this is one of the shots on my wishlist (newly emerged, still "pumping" up) I thought I'd struck gold.
It wasn't until I saw the ant through the viewfinder (and then later, on the pc screen, the ominous "blob" poking through the hindwing, I realised this one might not have made it :(
MAC_4297_DxO.jpg
Almost certainly an ex-marbled white

A bit further on I spotted a golden blur. It turned out to be a Small Skipper, but it was interesting nonetheless, due to the evidence of it's previous nectaring.
A week or two ago, this site was awash with Pyramidal Orchids and I have been on the lookout for a butterfly with pollen sacs stuck on the proboscis. The Orchids have all but disappeared now, so I thought that photo was gone for the year.

It's not a perfect shot, there's vast room for improvement, but it's a start :)

MAC_4305_DxO.jpg
Small Skipper with (presumably) Pyramidal Orchid pollen sac stuck to it's proboscis

As I only get 30 minutes for lunch (and this site is an 8 minute drive from work) it was time to head back (whilst still on the look out for Skippers)

I did see 2 more, but both were Smalls.

I did like this shot though. Not sure why.

MAC_4319_DxO.jpg
Small Skipper on Kidney Vetch

Off to Sutton Hoo tomorrow, then off in search of Silver-studded Blues. Black Sabbath T-shirt is ready and waiting, wish me luck :D

Cheers

Simon

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Good luck :D I've found listening to 'Fairies with boots on' brings me that extra little bit of luck :D That or some Leafhound 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Postby David M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Good luck, Simon. Remember, if you're out in the field, then you've always got a fighting chance!!

SimonC69

Postby SimonC69 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm

The Sabbath T-Shirt does it again :D
It was a family trip to Sutton hoo today (to satisfy Mrs C's archaeology cravings) with a short detour to Sutton and Hollesley commons on the way home. We got to Sutton Hoo mid morning, in overcast and windy (but warm) conditions. There were a few Meadow Browns and Ringlets flying around the overflow car park and a very elusive skipper (which I never got on properly)
Out on the heath, on the circular walk around the burial mounds I found a few Small Heath

MAC_4467_DxO.jpg

and my first Small Copper of the year.

MAC_4410_DxO.jpg
A bit battered but it's a year tick

on one section of the walk, there were Viper's Bugloss everywhere and it seemed every one had an attendant "Golden" Skipper

MAC_4403_DxO.jpg

MAC_4400_DxO.jpg
If anybody knows a better flower to get a photo of a Skipper feeding on........

I diligently checked all those I could and was finally rewarded with a rather flighty Essex

MAC_4372_DxO.jpg
Year tick number 2

MAC_4388_DxO.jpg
Year tick number 2

There were plenty more Skippers to entertain me on the walk back to the car and our lunch, the it was time to head home, via the commons.
Just a 5 minute drive to the next car park and a 2 minute walk from there and I'd bagged my 8th lifer of the year.

SSB1.jpg
My first Silver-studded Blue (and species #37 in my photo quest)

SSB4.jpg
An "insurance" shot, in case my initial ID was off :)

All in all, a very successful day all round. ancient history & natural history all rolled into one.

Off out before breakfast to look for SWFs tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Simon

David M

Postby David M » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Yup, Essex and SSB without a doubt! Well done.

Return to “Personal Diaries”