PhilBWright

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PhilBWright

Postby Padfield » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 am

In my opinion (and I don't claim to be an expert), all the sexable butterflies shown here are male - but I can't confirm both butterflies in any single picture.

I'm very interested in the fact these were taken with an iPhone 6 plus. That is what I have (a gift from a grateful student) and though I use it occasionally for butterflies it never occurred to me it might actually be better than my Canon bridge/compact for some purposes. But those video stills are better than I can achieve with the Canon (for video stills). I will have to try the iPhone for roding brimstones and territorial Camberwell beauties ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: http://www.guypadfield.com
European Butterfly app for iPhone, iPad and iPod: http://www.guypadfield.com/lepidapp/lepidapp.html

PhilBWright

Postby PhilBWright » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks Guy, that's helpful.
iPhone 6splus
Just to try and clarify, these video stills were taken at 60 frames a second (1080p -my normal video setting). My chosen slow motion setting was 240 frames a second, played back eight times slower. This is 720p so I think it might be slightly less clear to use as video stills. By practicing, trial & error, I have found it best to take several different shorter clips, rather than risk one long clip, only to find out later that the butterflies did not stay within the automatically chosen focal length set at the beginning of the clip. If the butterflies are too far away to start with, the phones understanding of the chosen subject matter is limited.
Regarding the technology used in the phone for focusing etc, I am naive and have not researched any helpful apps etc.
Also White butterflies need to be close enough so that the phone understands the subject matter, not bleaching out the intended subject:
IMG_1767.JPG
17/4/17 cropped a little bit

Kind Regards & best wishes with your iPhone.

PhilBWright

Postby PhilBWright » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am

Good Morning,
I am just trying to sort out some butterfly behaviour above a nettle bed. This is:
Small Tortoiseshell & Peacock
Looking at this activity, I am assuming this is a male Small Tortoiseshell & female Peacock but I might well be wrong. The Tortoiseshell looks as if it might be mobbing the Peacock, harassing it a little or looking for a partner? Comments welcome as I am still learning. Here are a couple of screenshots taken from the video:
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 07.42.42.png
The Tortoiseshell remains above the Peacock

Not quite as clear as i know i can achieve with my phone, shaky and cropped but the video footage is interesting in trying to understand the butterfly interactions in such locations that take place at high speed and are usually not recorded properly.
The iPhone video clip (slow motion, 120 frames per second, played back 4 X slower 1080p) is also cropped:
I have set the youtube video clip as "unlisted" rather than "public" so you will need to view it from this link:
https://youtu.be/avpYtt0qe80
At this stage, it is worth viewing for the interesting butterfly behaviour rarely recorded in slow motion rather than my recording techniques which I know I can improve on. The Small Tortoiseshell returned to a similar position near the nettles. I think the Peacock moved on.

Thanks for watching. All comments welcome apart from my typos :D .
Last edited by PhilBWright on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Postby David M » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 pm

More great footage, Phil. I have seen Tortoiseshells interact frequently with Peacocks and have come to the conclusion that the pheromones between the two species are rather similar, hence the persistence!

PhilBWright

Postby PhilBWright » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:23 am

Wurzel wrote:Looking forward to the 'expansion' Phil, as David said a great set of shots with a mobile, my iPod ones don't even come close to those :mrgreen: The video stills are great too - happiness when the Peacock lands and then sad face when it leaves :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Thanks David & Wurzel.
I have removed a Speckled Wood Duelling video from UK Butterflies which received 120 youtube views. I also removed it from youtube.
I have the raw data now to produce a much better quality video which might take some time as I have so much footage that wont make the cut and it all needs careful analyzing to pick out the best bits. :D
An Orange Tip video has now also been removed. My plan is to update with better quality material and better edited video clips. If you find one of my broken links in my diary which I have missed, please let me know so that I can change or remove it with an explanation (edit that post). Other videos such as "The Ringlet Chase" & Green-veined White, I have kept the links in my personal diary but deleted them from the Species Specific Page.
As people produce more short video clips, I think there could be a site or habitat specific category for videos which can tell a bigger story than just one picture. I don't know if this has been discussed in another forum?
IMG_1832.JPG
22nd April, Roadside Verge, Lincolnshire. iPhone 6S plus

Kind Regards

Return to “Personal Diaries”