MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: MikeOxon

Postby Goldie M » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 am

Hi! Mike ,trying to catch up on posts, I love the Speckie on the Blackberries, really brings Autumn to the fore. :D Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Postby MikeOxon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Goldie,

I'm pleased you like that photo. I am trying to capture aspects of behaviour, through the seasons, rather than just producing yet more standard portraits of familiar species.

Mike

MikeOxon

Annual Review

Postby MikeOxon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Now that Wurzel has announced the beginning of the 'Favourite Photos' thread, to take us through the Winter, I guess it's time to draw up my own review of my butterfly season.

Butterflies-1.jpg

Butterflies-2.jpg

The 'puzzle pic' in the second group may be easier, if you spot the small purple patch on the wing - it was very high up in a tree and hiding behind a leaf, so I was pleased to spot it at all!

For various reasons, I've not made many specifically 'butterflying' trips this year, so most of the 'special' species are missing from my collection. The trip I did make, to Bucknell Wood, following a recommendation by 'Art Frames', proved very successful, providing me with sightings of 20 species in one afternoon, not to mention several Valesina Silver-washed Fritillaries - and that was on a day rather later than the optimum time! Something to look forward to for a return visit next year :)

Other highlights were an interesting photo session at my local Dry Sandford Pit, where I managed to take several Brimstone top-sides by practising in-flight photo techniques, and a visit to Bernwood (also local),where I saw several Black Hairstreaks, although I missed a Purple Emperor that others saw on the same day.

I was sorry to miss several favourites, including Adonis Blue and Marsh Fritillary in particular but, hopefully, there's always next year ....

Mike

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

All good things come to an end Mike but there's always another year, ( Hope fully ) :D Goldie :D

David M

Postby David M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Shame you weren't able to get out as often as you would have liked, Mike, but your images are beautifully presented and encapsulate an entire year in a remarkably small bandwidth.

MikeOxon

Postby MikeOxon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Pleased you liked my photos, David. While I was looking through my collection, I noted that the Meadow Brown shown below had particularly well-marked spots on the underwing.

MeadowBn2017.jpg
Bernwood, Oxon - 18th June 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO 1000

That inveterate namer of aberrations, J. W. Tutt, described his ab.biocellata as having "two well-marked ocelli on the underside of the hindwings". It's a matter of opinion what constitutes "well-marked" and, since Meadow Browns are so variable anyway, almost any specimen could probably be described as an aberrant by someone!

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd count those as well marked, they have a nice orange margin around them :D Great look back Mike, that Brimstone image in particular is resplendent :D :mrgreen: Hope to see you at the Social, if not keep on keeping on :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Waterperry Gardens - 5th October 2017

Postby MikeOxon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 am

For many years, I have made a visit to the Waterperry Gardens, near Wheatley, during the first week of October, both to see the wonderful herbaceous border and for an end-of-season viewing of the Vanessids in attendance. Over the last few years, however, I have noticed a marked change in the apparent 'season' at the times of my visits. Five years ago, I could photograph butterflies in abundance, as shown below:

Waterperry2012.jpg

Last year, I made a negative report in my diary, with no butterflies seen, at all!

This year, I could not help noticing that the herbaceous border was looking distinctly past its peak. When I got home, I compared my latest photos with those taken in earlier years and it was clear that, five years ago, the 'season' seemed less advanced, on almost the same date.

Waterperry2012-17.jpg

Of course, the timing of the seasons does vary, according to our fickle weather conditions, but my continuous record of photos, all taken around the same date, demonstrates a trend over several years. Regarding butterflies, I had a little more success than last year, with a very few Red Admirals and Commas seen, and an opportunity to photograph a Small Copper:

Waterperry-SmCopper.jpg
Waterperry, Oxon - 5th October 2017
Olympus E-M1 with 12-50mm macro lens - 1/250s@f/9 ISO 400

Mike

David M

Postby David M » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Not surprising that growing conditions in your part of the world seem ahead of normal, Mike. I don't think I can ever remember nature winding down so early in a year as this one. If the flowers are going over early, it stands to reason that butterflies will be doing likewise.

Still, there are a few weeks yet to get out and observe species on the wing, and with a bit of luck we'll get a decent cold spell to refresh things prior to the 2018 season getting underway.

Return to “Personal Diaries”