Testudo Man

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Testudo Man

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 pm

I hope its not too late for me to do one of these :roll:

2013 was my best year yet(Ive only been observing/photographing butterflies for 3 years) so if i should make a mistake ie- on getting the wrong species/sex, then i wont be offended if someone puts me right :wink:

I'll try to stck with the years highlights then :)

The 5th and 6th of March 2013 was my 1st sighting, both Comma and Red Admiral seen.

Note- this year was not that good for early sightings, compared to 2012! Last year i photographed/sighted Red Admiral on the 11/1/12! Which BBC Springwatch on Flickr favoured(but its no big deal) they favour 1000's of photos, it was nice all the same.

This was the Comma seen on the 5th.

5th-March-2013-301-to-700.jpg

The next photo of the Comma was a favourite by BBC Springwatch Flickr, they chose it as photo of the day on their Twitter and Facebook! Since i dont do either twitter or facebook, it didnt mean anything to me! The photo is just ordinary, but i think i uploaded it when we had all that snow on the ground, so i guess it brightened up someones lives?

5th-March-2013-387-to-700.jpg

Im also keen on photographing UK reptiles, mainly Vipera berus(adders) whilst out looking for snakes, i also look for butterflies too, so its a "win win" situation.

I wont flood this diary with snake photos, thats for another forum, so i will just sneak the odd pic in :wink:

Male Adder, one of several seen on the day.

5th-March-2013-128-to-700.jpg

Cheers Paul.

Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Testudo Man

Postby Butterflysaurus rex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Great start to your personal diary Paul :D I've been doing something similar, a month by month look back through the year. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more as you progress through the year.

ATB

B rex

David M

Postby David M » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Testudo Man wrote:
The 5th and 6th of March 2013 was my 1st sighting, both Comma and Red Admiral seen.

You must have been one of the very few to see a Spring Red Admiral.

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Great start to your personal diary Paul :D I've been doing something similar, a month by month look back through the year. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more as you progress through the year.

ATB

B rex

Thanks very much for that.
Its been such a good year, i would have liked to have started a lot ealier(in the year) but since Ive only just joined this forum, im a late starter :oops: Good job i took 100's of photos and kept notes though :wink:

I should look at eveyones elses diaries, but instead of viewing there latest entry, i will start at their 1st :wink:

Cheers Paul.

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:54 pm

David M wrote:
Testudo Man wrote:

You must have been one of the very few to see a Spring Red Admiral.

I guess i must :wink: ...i take it not many people had early red admiral sightings for 2013 then? I would say that red admirals had a very bad year, especially with all that snow.
In 2012, I sighted red admirals from january to november(11 months of red admirals) and i was desperate to find a red admiral in december(which would have given me the full 12 months for 2012)...but it was not meant to be...However, whilst out looking for Bramblings on the 16th of December, a butterfly flew past me, my son, and 2 other people. We all agreed that it was a Peacock!!!...not the red admiral I was after, but 12 months of butterfly sightings will do me :wink:
I gave chase after that peacock, because, what is a mans word...without the proof of a photo?? 20 minutes of searching, didnt see the peacock again...or get the all important shot!

Im glad I write down notes, which accompany my dated photos.

Here is what i wrote regarding my sightings of Butterflies on the 5/3/13 -

Lovely to see my 1st Comma for the year.
With wall to wall sunshine on the 5th of march, there had to be a few butterflies on the wing.
I sighted this very close to one of the snakes(adders). It would be great to capture a shot of a butterfly on a snake!!! who knows, it might happen one day ;-)

I saw 1, but possibly 2 Commas on the day, and when i returned to work(later in the afternoon) I saw a Red Admiral too, which was a bonus.

This photo is not cropped, just re-sized down.

Cheers Paul.

Hoggers

Postby Hoggers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Paul, I think we are both in Kent but I didn't see my first Red Admiral until 17th April this year and I've only seen a handful of them all season. They've had a hard time of it down here after that dreadful Winter.

Lovely photos, by the way and a warm welcome to the PD Forum!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am

Great start to the PD :D Looking forward to your other highlights.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Postby Neil Freeman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Paul,

Testudo Man wrote:....I hope its not too late for me to do one of these ...

Never too late :D

A great start and a few posts over the winter will set you up nicely for next year :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Hoggers wrote:Hi Paul, I think we are both in Kent but I didn't see my first Red Admiral until 17th April this year and I've only seen a handful of them all season. They've had a hard time of it down here after that dreadful Winter.

Lovely photos, by the way and a warm welcome to the PD Forum!

Cheers for that, yes Kent is a great place for butterflies.

I agree, this is a bad year for red admirals(saying that, whilst at work today, I saw one!).
I think i was very lucky to see that red admiral on the 5th of march 2013, it was a small window in time, the weather that day was quite warm, i think that red admiral came out briefly on the strength of the warm weather, only to have probably perished(along with many others) because after the 5th an 6th of March, the weather took a turn for the worst. In fact, i think it was a month later that i saw my next butterfly for 2013! Even though i still carried on finding snakes/lizards through March...yes the reptiles were out basking near the snow!!! I dont think there were any butterflies on the wing, because it was just too cold!

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Wurzel wrote:Great start to the PD :D Looking forward to your other highlights.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Thanks a lot for that.

Testudo Man

Postby Testudo Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 pm

nfreem wrote:Hi Paul,

Testudo Man wrote:....I hope its not too late for me to do one of these ...

Never too late :D

A great start and a few posts over the winter will set you up nicely for next year :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Cheers, hopefully by this winter, i should have caught up.

Return to “Personal Diaries”