Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Hoggers

Postby David M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm

It's amazing the sheer variety of wing markings you see, Hoggers. I suppose we'd all be in a similar position if we could rack up 3 dozen or more in an average day! :mrgreen:

Allan.W.

Postby Allan.W. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Hello Hoggers ,
Some unusual Coppers there Hoggers, I was at Dungie ,myself from around 6.45 - 9.15 ,but concentrated mainly on the Northern Long pit (a circuit ) for butterflies and a plant, and although there were hundreds of Small Skippers on the wing ,+ a few Mead; Browns, and Marbled Whites,not a single
Copper ! most surprised. Over the road on the RSPB (opp; Boulderwall ) section, I found 4 Small Coppers,all males ,and very feisty !!
Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Postby Hoggers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Many thanks for all the comments,as always they are much appreciated. Because of the size of the Small Copper population at Dungeness I'm able to enjoy a wide range of variation amongst them,to the point where I begin to wonder whether there really is such a thing as a "typical" Copper!

Certainly the differences between individuals is a constant source of joy to me
IMG_5574.JPG
IMG_5576.JPG

Today for example I found a couple of Sooty Coppers
IMG_5484.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG

where dark scales overlay the usual brightness

I watched several Small Copper tourneys
IMG_5515.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG
IMG_5561.JPG

The combatants flashing in the sunlight
IMG_5566.JPG

The second brood is gathering speed
IMG_5544.JPG
IMG_5556.JPG

My Copper-O-Meter detected 59 today
IMG_5581.JPG
IMG_5487.JPG

I was very interested to find this chap
IMG_5559.JPG

I can't believe he's a second brood who's had a particularly difficult last couple of weeks! He must surely be the last survivor of the first brood, battle scarred but still with a twinkle in his eye.

Small Skippers are in plague numbers at present and amongst them I found a single Large Skipper
IMG_5411.JPG

I also came upon this Bumblebee lying dead on the path : look how much pollen he'd collected (from its colour I'd guess from the Viper's Bugloss)
IMG_5467.JPG

As the number of Small Copper grows I increasingly see them nectaring on the Bramble flowers where they look a treat
IMG_5502.JPG
IMG_5538.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”