philm63

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: philm63

Postby Andrew555 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

More great shots Phil, lovely Orange Tips. :)

philm63

Postby philm63 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Cheers essexbuzzard, Andrew

I have amended the posts appropriately

Nymphalids

Comma

2014 was not a bad year with a few sightings throughout the summer, the first on 2 July and the last on 10 September. 2015 was quieter with only a few seen in August. None seen at all in 2016 and seen twice in 2017 in July with three at Bingley Bog North on the 16th

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

Red Admiral

Normally ranks 3rd in the frequency of nymphalids seen locally and 2014 to 2016 were in that pattern. However, there was an explosion in 2017 and the late summer saw bumper numbers locally. In one day in September I had 5 together in the garden, it was the only nymphalid I saw on most days in late summer, and some days the only butterfly I saw

DSCF4518.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

IMG_6678.JPG

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4497.jpg

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 pm

More great shots Phil - that first Comma is really well marked :D Glad you manged to round up the errant Hedge Brown :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Postby philm63 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 am

Cheers Wurzel

Remaining Aristocrats

Painted Lady

No good years for this species locally since 2009, none in 2014, 2 in 2015, none in 2016 and a single in 2017

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

Peacock

Normally Peacock is a reliable local butterfly, and 2014 to 2016 followed the general trend. However, in 2017, the late spring and early summer were promising but the late summer was dismal, with very few sightings at all. A picture shared with Small Tortoiseshell

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6705.JPG

S0153908.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

Small Tortoiseshell

Usually seen in good numbers at the right time but 2017 started well and ended badly like the Peacock with very few seen in the late summer period and none after late July. The garden buddleias were only attracting Red Admirals when in late bloom, with few STs or Peacocks at all

IMG_9595.JPG

DSCF4507.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

Phil

David M

Postby David M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Beautiful images that make me yearn for spring, Phil. Sadly, it's likely to be three months at least before I see my next Small Tortoiseshell. :(

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

Lovely,I especially like your Small Tortoiseshell shots Phil.

philm63

Postby philm63 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Cheers David, Andrew
Spring cannot come quick enough, I have had enough of winter already and it hasn't really started yet

Memories

Having re-capped the butterflies during the period I couldn’t finish without mentioning the memories stirred as I went back over 3 years’ worth of Trip Reports and the photographic memories included within them

Travel broadens the mind!

Swallow and Wheatear - North Norfolk Autumn 2014

My local area sitting in the foothills of the Pennines can be just a bit barren at times (a gross understatement). In September 2014 I went with the wife to the Titchwell area, on the north Norfolk coast, for a few days. Gorgeous weather and a profusion of wildlife, this reminded me that I need to get out a bit more from my local area and see what else is on offer around the country; if only to keep fuelling that desire to see, enjoy and try to understand. Despite the numerous shots of species I see all too infrequently, I chose two of my favourite shots from the trip which show species that may have been visitors like myself, who knows they could even have been in my local area in the spring and summer

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

Conservation!

Juvenile Spotted Flycatcher – Local 2016

Quite a few species across the board are being added to the Threatened List in the UK, butterflies in particular. Birdwise, in my local area we have lost Willow Tit, Marsh Tit, Yellowhammer and Yellow Wagtail, although the latter has started re-appearing in small numbers. So it is nice to see that one threatened species, Spotted Flycatcher, is appearing more frequently. Now I expect to see them annually at some sites in the summer and on passage in the autumn; and this year I had family groups at two different spots on the same day during the autumn return passage

IMG_6050.JPG

Perseverance pays off!

Little Owl and Grey Partridge – less than a mile from home

After trudging round my local patch week after week especially in winter and seeing little apart from a few crows and a couple of passerines attempting to hide from the wind: it is nice now and then to see it rewarded. That stray Merlin and Stonechat, the over-wintering Long-eared Owl, the White-letter Hairstreak and other summer butterflies. And every now and then you manage a really close-encounter with one of the usual species, as shown by these two images. That makes it all seem worthwhile in the end

IMG_9332.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

The reason for doing it at all!

Snipe and Red Grouse at Bradup

On any sunny day from middish-April to late May if the chance is there I head to Bradup. It sits at the transition from rough grazing to heather moorland and has a good, but quiet, access road. Getting out the car the air is full of displaying Lapwings, Curlews call all around, drumming Snipe buzz over. If I am lucky Redshank and Golden Plover will also show. In the background the “go-back go-back” calls of Red Grouse, numerous Meadow Pipits with accompanying Skylark, Reed Bunting and occasional Stonechat and Linnet. The first of the spring butterflies braving the higher and harsher terrain; and then the occasional raptor breaks the skyline somewhere. It is almost primordial and never fails to lift my spirits and remind me what it is all about, this communication with nature I believe we all need

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

Retain a sense of humour!

Roe Deer – Walsh Lane June 2017

Out in all weathers, little seen, subject moved just as you were going to press the shutter button; we all will have suffered it. So it is nice now and then to be able to have a chuckle at it all. So when your subject does something amusing it is an added bonus. This female Roe Deer was not far from my home and I was within 30 metres of it. There is a series of photos, some very good, of that encounter. But I just loved the pose on this one with its tongue sticking out – almost a “and this is what I think of you standing there taking my picture” moment

DSCF4978.JPG

The artistic element!

Little Egret – Fairburn Ings 2016

I seem to have read a number of articles on wildlife photography on the web. Rule of thirds, depth of field, exposure compensation, shutter or aperture priority, composition, post-editing methods. Most of it goes over my head it seems. I tend just to point and click and consider myself fortunate to get an image I can appreciate and use. However, the rule of averages means that every now and then, one of the photos will be that little bit special. Personally I just love the subject here surrounded by still water with the reflective images of the vegetation on the water, the photo is straight out of the camera with just a little cropping

IMG_7445.JPG

Enjoy the unexpected!

Wood Mouse? – Eldwick Reservoir June 2017

I almost missed this little mouse as it foraged in a fallen tree near the reservoir; just looking in a different direction at the wrong time would have been enough. It happily sat there whilst I watched from a few feet away. It is nice to be able to see the occasional different thing whilst out looking for the expected or hoped for. I presumed it was a Wood Mouse but if anyone has a proper ID I would be interested to know

IMG_9197.JPG

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm

More cracking shots there Phil - especially like the Red grouse as that's a species I still haven't seen :D :mrgreen: Also some really lush looking Small Torts - if they were rarer they would probably be even more desirable than a Purple Emperor i reckon. :D
Your rodent ID meant I had to use my mammal ID App for the first time and I reckon it's a vole (the more rounded face with smaller, rounded ears), probably Bank Vole (?) as it was active during the day.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Postby philm63 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Cheers Wurzel and thanks for the mammal ID
The old offer still stands, if you ever venture up this way in spring would be more than happy to show you my local moorland stomping grounds, weather permitting. What is glorious on a sunny day can be harsh and uninviting on a bad one

Phil

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Great shots Phil, of some lovely creatures. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”