David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: David M

Postby David M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Monday 17th July 2017 - Culture Shock....

This time of year is always tough for me. Having spent nearly 3 weeks in the French Alps where there are butterflies on almost every flowerhead, I find myself transported to a far greener land where in spite of copious and lush plant growth, butterflies are conspicuous by their absence.

An additional day off work saw near perfect weather conditions - 22c, light winds and light cloud.....but only 10 species to see!

There were Whites fluttering around almost everywhere. However, the White Letter Hairstreaks I found 3 weeks ago were still stubbornly esconced in the canopy. Despite bramble and thistle blooms being ubiquitous, these Welsh specimens remained firmly wedded to the Ash canopy, and this image merely records a rather faded individual that refused to come down like all his/her brethren:

1WLHdistance(1).jpg

There were quite a few Commas about, which was pleasing, and the species total was 10, which isn't a disaster I suppose in this area. A handful of Hedge Browns showed up too, which was welcome as they were my first in 2017:

1HedgeBrownmale(1).jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: David M

Postby Wurzel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 pm

It must be quite a shock David, and made worse by White-letters not playing ball either :? Mind you the way things are going the Brown Hairstreaks will be out soon over your way, so something to look forward to :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”