Pete Eeles

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Pete Eeles

Post by Maximus »

Great photos of the Cryptic Wood Whites Pete and that last Green-veined White is a real stunner.

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks David & Mike!

Influx of Migrants?

There have been quite a few reports this week of both Red Admiral and Painted Lady heading our way. I thought nothing of this until I visited Greenham Common and, surprise surprise, 2 Red Admiral were flying around a bed of nettles ovipositing! To say I was shocked was an understatement, since these are the first Red Admirals I've seen for some time!
Red Admiral ovum
Red Admiral ovum
Back at home, some of the Silver-studded Blue pupae are colouring up - a little earlier than their wild cousins. The reason for mentioning this is that I've seen quite a few pupae in my time, but none has ever shown the adult so clearly within the pupa prior to emergence. Here's a male that will emerge tomorrow morning - you can make out every single detail , including the scales on the wings, the antennae and its brown tips, the legs, the eyes, the proboscis, the hairs on the body, etc.. Just amazing!
Silver-studded Blue pupa (male)
Silver-studded Blue pupa (male)
Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a stunning image Pete, it's like looking at a plastic prepackaged butterfly, I was even looking for the bar code :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wow! What a beautiful picture. Lovely stuff, Pete. I'm very much looking forward to seeing his wild cousins very soon.

Had my first Painted Lady of the year today.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Wurzel wrote:That is a stunning image Pete, it's like looking at a plastic prepackaged butterfly, I was even looking for the bar code :shock: :D
Thanks Wurzel! He does indeed look like a vacuum-packed "butterfly in a bag"!

Cheers,

- Pete

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nothing new I can add to the other comments. Stunning picture. Look forward to seeing him when "unpacked".

Jack

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks all - and to conclude the story - here's the very man :)
1.jpg
Feeling rather grot at the mo - but will post my latest forays in the next 10 mins :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Oop North

Actually, the Loch Creran area in Scotland, including Glasdrum Wood - the weather being surprisingly cooperative. More Chequered Skipper than I've ever seen before - including several females and a mating pair (the highlight of the trip!). Lots of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary flying too and several Green-veined White ssp. thomsoni (record shots only!). Having learned my lesson in previous years, I was armed with wellies, and they were absolutely essential, with large amounts of the site very waterlogged. While at Glasdrum Wood, I also bumped into Iolo Williams (filming for Springwatch) and his crew, and helped them track down a skipper or two. I may even get my face, made for radio, on the telly :)
Chequered Skipper (male)
Chequered Skipper (male)
Chequered Skipper (male)
Chequered Skipper (male)
Chequered Skipper (female)
Chequered Skipper (male on right)
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (male)
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (male)
Glasdrum Wood marketing shot :)
Glasdrum Wood marketing shot :)
Iolo Williams (on the left) - lovely chap!
Iolo Williams (on the left) - lovely chap!
Cheers,

- Pete

Susie

Post by Susie »

Great stuff. Pete :)

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

I must concur great pictures Pete

Andy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Amazing pictures, Pete! I especially love the chequered skipper with the small pearl-bordered fritillary, though as other have said, that vacuum-packed silver-stud is extraordinary.
Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Superb stuff. The Chequered Skipper and SPBF shot is an epic. I'm getting itchy feet again!
BWs, Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and beautiful photos :D, especially the Chequered Skipper and SPBF pair :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning Pete! The SPBF and CS pair is a fantastic shot! :D

I'm a fan of Iolo Williams, he seems like a lovely chap on the TV. His passion for wildlife shines through his reports.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Fabulous images, but the best of the bunch is in no doubt (and unique) :)
Also a very striking colour contrast in the uppersides of the mating pair which I had not observed before.

Brilliant stuff!

Vince

David M

Post by David M »

That's surely the first ever image of SPBF and Chequered Skipper in the frame simultaneously!!

I searched for mating pairs myself but didn't get lucky so well done Pete. I hope you enjoyed your visit as much as I did.

IAC

Post by IAC »

Ridiculous Pete...just totally ridiculous!! I was quite contented with how my butterfly season was going until now. What you have done here ought to be illegal....The Small Pearl and McSkipper...thats just better than classic. You southerners need to be stopped at the border. :wink:

Iain.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The standard on this site just keeps going up and up. Superb shots of the mating pair and your 'marketing' photo must be unique as I doubt anyone else has one like that :mrgreen:

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Fantastic stuff Pete - you really are on a mission this year.

Trev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Pete, those Chequered Skippers are delightful to behold :D I might even watch Springwatch now - just in case "our Pete gets on t'telly" :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”