William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

William

Post by William »

Hi All,

Having just joined UK Butterflies, I thought I'd start a personal diary to share some of my Butterfly sightings and photos. With 2013's season fast drawing to a close, I decided that I, like others would start a retrospective diary, looking back over the highlights of what has been a truly exciting year for me...

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: William

Post by David M »

Welcome, William.

Feel free to post whatever you wish. You can be assured of an interested audience.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Welcome to the forum William. Looking forward to your future posts.

All the best Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome William - looking forward to reading your reports and eying your photos :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

And a welcome from me too - look forward to seeing your photos!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A big welcome from me too William.

William

Post by William »

April

Thanks for all the kind words guys, with them in mind, I shall begin...

For me and many others, April was a frustrating Butterflying month, and I found it bereft of the ususal first Orange Tips and Holly Blues that make it so exciting. Despite this, I had clocked up Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone, Small White and Large White by the end of the month by which point the cold spell had released its grip, and the exciting possibility of a warm spell in May began to take shape...
Peacock with a Passenger
Peacock with a Passenger
The other highlight of the month was the hatching of a Brown Hairstreak Egg I had found, sadly I lost track of the charming little larva after a week. Brown Hairstreaks aren't common in Somerset, ranging long distances over hedgerows, and being very difficult to track down. Last year I managed to find 3 males, all feeding in an Ash near my home, and in 2011 we actually had an egg on our Blackthorn hedge, but more of that later..
Brown Hairstreak Ovum
Brown Hairstreak Ovum
Hatching....
Hatching....
The Larva
The Larva

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

That's a good start William :D

The Brown Hairstreak images are excellent and would be a welcome addition to the Species-Specific Album. They would be used in the Identification http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... es=betulae and Species pages http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species_ ... &stage=all of this website and would remain your copyright.

If you are agreeable you can add them here gallery/album.php?album_id=160. Just scroll down to the species and then select the category within the species (ie ovum or larva). It would be helpful if you could add site and date information in the "imagename" box.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your images for the year.

Regards,

Vince

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thats a brilliant start to your diary William. The photos of the Brown Hairstreak ovum and larva are just excellent. :D

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

I've a feeling this is going to be a particularly good personal diary!

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi William,
Welcome to UK BFs. My name is Chris, I'm a recent overseas member and I monitor what's going on in the Marseilles region.
Nice photos so far.
Bienvenue !!
CJ

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi William

Welcome :D It is always good to see a new diary. That is a superb opener, I look forward seeing more :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Welcome William. :) Brown hairstreak is my favourite butterfly and those are lovely photos.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi William,

Great start to your diary, looking forward to seeing some more :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

William

Post by William »

May (Part 1)

Thank you for the comments everyone - much appreaciated :D !

May was the month that things finally got going, and it started well when I found a pristine Green - Veined White roosting in the garden, my first of the year. Following this, I made a mental note to search for larvae and ova later in the season. The immature stages of Orange Tips have always been something that I look out for, but despite them using many of the same foodplants, Green - Veined Whites have slipped under the radar somewhat.
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
This was followed swiftly by my first Orange tips (at last!), two beautiful males patrolling on a bridleway near my home. They're always a joy to watch, flying up and down at great speed when the sun is out, and roosting when it's not - very accommodating!
Orange Tip - warming up!
Orange Tip - warming up!
Over the rest of the month, Orange Tips turned up frequently in the garden, roosting, like the Green Veined Whites, on Bluebells. I'm not sure why they do this, as it makes them stick out far more than they might on an unobtrusive grass stem.
Orange Tip (Male)
Orange Tip (Male)
It was a real joy to start finding their eggs on the Garlic Mustard which I lovingly grew for them - all the hard work paid off!
A mature Orange Tip egg
A mature Orange Tip egg
I was delighted to have some larvae to watch over - providing ample entertainment, as Orange Tips seemed to have a rather short flight season in my neck of the woods, over by early June, nevertheless, it was, as always a joy to watch them...
Orange Tip (Male)
Orange Tip (Male)
I thought I'd do one instalment per week in my diary, which will tide me over until early February, when hopefully things will pick up again.

Once again, thanks for the kind comments :)

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

An amazing start to your diary William, your photos are so good I can't pick a favourite. I'm really looking froward to seeing the next instalment, no doubt you have many more stunning images to share with us. :D
It'll be a real treat over the winter months.

Best wishes,

B'saurus

William

Post by William »

Thank you very much B' Saurus, at the end of the day, it's a pleasure to just be out taking them. I'm very lucky too, as I do most of my photography walking from home, so it's all on my doorstep! :D

BWs

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots William especially the Green Veined White cracking :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely start to your diary William, looking forward to the next instalment :D

Mike

William

Post by William »

Thanks Guys - I really appreaciate the kind comments :D .

Return to “Personal Diaries”