Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Nigel Kiteley

Re: Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

My favourite Brown Argus image for this year. It was taken at Aston Rowant on July 28th.
Brown Argus.jpg
Last edited by Nigel Kiteley on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This was taken on a memorable day at Sand Point, when I also photographed Glanville Fritillary and Wall Brown, on one of the few beautiful warm days during this Summer. The right forewing shows some of the purplish 'oil film' colours, sometimes seen on many dark-winged species. I have cleaned up some clutter from the background using Photoshop.
Sand Point, Somerset - 28th May 2012<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm +1.4X TC - 1/180s @ f/11 ISO 400
Sand Point, Somerset - 28th May 2012
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm +1.4X TC - 1/180s @ f/11 ISO 400
Mike
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Nigel,

Lovely shots, particularly the second; this one is, however, a female Common Blue.

BWs, Neil
CFB

Post by CFB »

This female was from early June last year in the Alpes-Maritimes. Her right antenna is not missing, but is hidden below the fore-wing. Some iridescence can be seen on both the fore-wings and the hind-wings.

The photo was taken using a Canon PowerShot S90.
IMG_6282.JPG
--
Colin
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

Oops! Thank you Neil, indeed it is a female Common Blue, or rather it was :lol: :lol: .

Nigel.
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Brown Argus 120526 116.jpg
The Brown Argus didn't have a particularly good year in Cambridgeshire and this was the only local one I photographed, fortunately for me it turned out to be an aberrant specimen.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

one of my favourite butterflies. couldn't decide between these 2. the same butterfly in both shots but it was the experience of sitting down with this chap for 15 minutes, his "perches were less than 2 foot away and he kept returning to them while i was sat there. and as he was up a bit of a slope he was around head high. occaisonally he'd nip down to the red clover for refreshment but what a way to spend 15 minutes. Mr Argus it was a pleasure.
ba1.JPG
ba.JPG
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Didn't think I actually took any photos of a Brown Argus this year, but then I came across this underside shot taken at Devil's Dyke near Newmarket in June:
BrownArgus3.jpg
One of my targets next season is to get a good open-wing shot which captures the right shade of brown in a Brown Argus' wings. What is it about that lovely rich colour that gives cameras such a tough time - or is it just my eyes? Even if I take a photo in RAW, I never seem to be able to get the colour right however much I tweak it afterwards. CFB's shot is pretty damned close though. Anyone else have this problem? :(
I know... I should get myself some glasses 8)

Trev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

I couldn't decide between my two favourite images as they had such good memories attached to them.
The first was from a family trip to Martin Down in mid June. While the girls flew their kite and my wife brewed a cuppa up with our little stove I was free to check out my favoured spot where the path from Sillen's lane crosses the Bokerley Ditch. I'd been worried about the fact that I'd not seen very many Brown Argus and my favoured patch produced two or three, all seemingly sparring away. It was great to just watch them taking on Small Heath and the larger Common Blues. Feisty little guys and gals! :D
035 - Copy-001.JPG
The second one was taken at Shipton Bellinger and was my consolation for not finding Brown Hairstreak despite lots of careful searching (I did see them the next day though). I'd taken my younger daughter with me and she was very happy to play while I photographed away. I was thinking that we better make a move and head home so I suggested that we went and my she turned to me and said "no dad I'm still playing you'll just have to go and do some more butterfliezing for 5 minutes". Well who was I to refuse :shock: :lol: ? That's when I got the shots of this Brown Argus who spent the next 5 minutes just staring at me before deciding that I probably wasn't worth fighting before bombing off to feed/mate. We too headed off after that and she talked and asked me questions all the way back to the car which was delightful. It was one of those days that I will look back on and always remember and it was all thanks to the Brown Argus.
053 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

One of those days when the Brown Argus showed in good numbers and were all fresh.
Attachments
017 (800x557).jpg
016 (800x552).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I did not see anywhere near as many Brown Argus this year as last. Apart from a small colony that I found whilst in Norfolk in late May and then seeing a few at Aston Rowant in August, it was mostly the odd one or two here and there.

I did not manage any shots this year that I was particularly pleased with from an artistic or technical perspective but I do like the ones below from a behaviour point of view.

The first one from Norfolk when a mating pair was accosted by another male trying to barge in.
Brown Argus trio - Burgh Castle Norfolk 26.05.2012
Brown Argus trio - Burgh Castle Norfolk 26.05.2012
And a male trying it on with a female at Aston Rowant.
Brown Argus couple - Aston Rowant 16.08.2012
Brown Argus couple - Aston Rowant 16.08.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite, seen on my local patch on 22nd May.

Dave
Attachments
BA1 resized.JPG
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

My favourite Brown Argus was taken at Losový, August 15, a site known for strong populations of arion, niobe, bellargus and up to 100 other species. I made a new discovery here that day - Plebeius argyrognomon (after genitalization).

As always, can't decide which photo I'll keep. As Judas Priest sang about - NEVER SATISFIED.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Return to “Brown Argus”