Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Reverdin

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

New to the site, so to start a blog with some images from here and there, and experiences to share.
Today, 29th May...
Male Speckled Wood attending to his territory..
Male Speckled Wood attending to his territory..
and a Large White clinging on to a Yellow Rattle head in the breeze today.
and a Large White clinging on to a Yellow Rattle head in the breeze today.
Last edited by Reverdin on Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Re: Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Not much of a day here, cold grey and rainy, but ran a moth trap last night and thought I just had to show these... sorry I know they're not butterflies, but they do have wings and they are gorgeous...
Elephant Hawk
Elephant Hawk
and something I've never seen before, a Campion
and something I've never seen before, a Campion
:D :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Two very lovely moths!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Collard Hill pilgrimage Saturday 4th June.
7.30am First rays of sun hit the downslope
7.30am First rays of sun hit the downslope
First wings to open
First wings to open
Feeding
Feeding
more glimpses of that gorgeous blue
more glimpses of that gorgeous blue
who would not want to see these in England
who would not want to see these in England
last one of my day
last one of my day
Great to finally meet Mr Hulme and to bump into Roger again :D

David M

Post by David M »

Is there a particular time of day/specific weather conditions where Large Blues exhibit a greater propensity toward opening their wings?

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Well, judging by Saturday... there weren't that many around, and I know there were comments about the lack of wing opening... I was there from 7am, until 2 ish, and spent a lot of time carefully wandering around the slopes after them... they were quite jittery and did not settle for long, and flew very easily when approached....
... however... with patience, nearly all of them ( 4 or 5!!) eventually showed me upperside, not particularly sun related, but spent ~ 95% time with closed wings, opening for 30 seconds at most. I saw more males than females and they were all quite fresh.... a great day out.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Sunday 5th in Devon. Not great weather but some Fritillary success... first time I have seen Heath Frit in this country, and seem to be darker than their European counterparts to me... lovely to see and thanks indeed to Roger and Rose for their wonderful hospitality.
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Devon style
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Devon style
Underside of Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Devon style
Underside of Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, Devon style
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary on Common Cow Wheat
Heath Fritillary on Common Cow Wheat
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
Heath Fritillary
:D

jenks

Post by jenks »

Reverdin wrote:Sunday 5th in Devon. Not great weather but some Fritillary success... first time I have seen Heath Frit in this country, and seem to be darker than their European counterparts to me... lovely to see and thanks indeed to Roger and Rose for their wonderful hospitality.

Where in Devon did you see the Heath Frits ? I was returning to South Wales that day after 3 days in Hampshire & Dorset, made a detour to Lydford Gorge, and watched never ending rain from 11 am till 2pm. Not one butterfly of any description ( they`d have been mad to have been out in that weather !) But I couldnt find any HF`s sheltering in the grass either. Hence my hesitation to travel to East Anglia this coming weekend (see Swallowtail thread ) in view of the weather that is forecast. I may make a trip to Haddon Hill if the weather looks good (less distance ) if someone can point me to the area where HF`s are found.

Thanks for any help.

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Where in Devon did you see the Heath Frits ?
Actually, we were in Somerset - Haddon is just over the border.
It was misty, cold and drizzly, but we found a couple of roosting HFs.
I shall PM you a map later today.

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Sat 24th June - Lake District, Hartsop Dodd.
In the company of Roger Harding, made the climb to the high fells to see mnemon, and despite not quite ideal conditions achieved the following. Apologies to those who hate photographers and who hate butterflies on sticks... I suggest you look away now :twisted:
110624  E. mnemon Mountain Ringlet  NT414115  8781.JPG
110624  E. mnemon Mountain Ringlet  NY410096  8742.JPG
110624  E. mnemon Mountain Ringlet  NY414116  8822.JPG
110624  E. mnemon Mountain Ringlet  NY414116  8830.JPG

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 1 – Spent the morning along the riverside in our Haute Savoie base at 700m with weather gradually improving. Investigated any rough waste ground and gradually accounted for Marbled White, Small Heath, Small and Large Skipper, Small and Large Whites, Wood White, Short Tailed Blue, Provencal Short Tailed Blue, Holly Bue, White Admiral, Marbled Fritillary, Heath Fritillary, ubiquitous Meadow Brown and Ringlet and penultimately Arran Brown. Finally, an Emperor put in a brief aerobatic display, taunting us by not revealing it’s true identity!!
Arran Brown
Arran Brown
Provencal Short-tailed Blue
Provencal Short-tailed Blue
In the afternoon we set off to the top of one of the local peaks, a flattish basin at 1700m with a small lake. Here we had a very warm afternoon, and saw Mazarine Blue, Moorland Clouded Yellow, Alpine Heath, Dark Green Fritillary, Mountain Ringlet, Bright Eyed Ringlet and my first totally new species of my trip.... Blind Ringlet.
Mazarine Blue
Mazarine Blue
Moorland Clouded Yellow
Moorland Clouded Yellow
Marbled White
Marbled White
Alpine Heath
Alpine Heath
? Blind Ringlet
? Blind Ringlet
Lesser Mountain Ringlet ( ID edited from Mountain Ringlet)
Lesser Mountain Ringlet ( ID edited from Mountain Ringlet)

We ventured slowly down the Alpine road back into our valley base, stopping off in the early evening sun in several places, finding some further amenable local species as we went...Titania’s Fritillary, Black Veined White, Geranium Argus ( all well worn) and False Heath Fritillary.
Titania's Fritillary
Titania's Fritillary
Black-veined White
Black-veined White
All in all, a good day, and a promising start, with weather set to be fair and new pastures to investigate. It was already evident that 2011 was an early season for many butterfly species, and this was indeed clear from the start, with the promise of some early emergent later flying species ahead. We were’nt to be disappointed.

More days and photos to come :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Excellent stuff Paul.
Really envious of you.
You are getting great results with that new camera/lens combo.
Can't wait to see the next edition!
I am away from internet access for the next fortnight, so I will have your whole trip to read up on when I get back.
Can't wait.

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Have a great time! :mrgreen:

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Reverdin! I'm looking forward to your further instalments too!

Your mountain ringlet is a lesser mountain ringlet (Erebia melampus). Typically, mountain ringlets (epiphron) fly on higher, more wild terrain than lesser mountain and the other species you feature. The blind ringlet is just that.

I've been in similar country with a group from UK Butts today - must get on and process the few photos I permitted myself after they had had their pick!!

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks Guy, thought I must have seen melampus, but not sure which!!!... now I know. :D Look forward to hearing how your current group do. :mrgreen:

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

02/07/11
Day 3 - We ventured early, up to a ski base at 1600m and walked slowly uphill, steeply at times to a lofty 2100m. At 1600m the first Erebia visible turned out to be Manto Ringlet, my first experience of this one. Images as usual were difficult to accomplish well. Glorious Sooty and Purple Edged Coppers, and Small Blues were evident a little further up the path.
Manto Ringlet ( Yellow Spotted )
Manto Ringlet ( Yellow Spotted )
Manto Ringlet underside
Manto Ringlet underside
Purple Edged Copper
Purple Edged Copper
Purple Edged Copper female
Purple Edged Copper female
Sooty Copper
Sooty Copper
At about 1800m the debilis form of Marsh Fritillary was seen and a male Queen of Spain Fritillary appeared. Blind Ringlet was once more present. Large Grizzled Skipper put in a tantalizing but unphotographable appearance, and many Erebia continued to taunt, as the thin mountain air took a toll of my legendary lack of fitness! We settled for lunch at a promontory at 1900m and enjoyed a hill-topping Machaon Swallowtail, Small Tortoiseshell, Bath White, a pristine Mazarine, and Grizzled Skippers. The Erebia continued to taunt, flying 10m on disturbance within 2m, and always settling in long grass, rarely still. As we approached our 2100m vantage point, only a rather worn Dewy Ringlet added to our tally.
debilis Marsh Fritillary
debilis Marsh Fritillary
Blind Ringlet
Blind Ringlet
Blind Ringlet underside
Blind Ringlet underside
Mazarine Blue
Mazarine Blue
The descent was similar in reverse, with species appearing, and then disappearing as we staggered down the very unstable scree like path. Rewardingly, some better photo opportunities began to afford themselves as the day wore on. Just below 1800m a Niobe Fritillary showed off. I was then enthralled to improve my Manto Ringlet images. I am sure Lesser Mountain Ringlet was also in the throngs of dark Ringlets along the way.
Purple Edged Copper
Purple Edged Copper
Manto
Manto
Manto underside
Manto underside

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 4 – A visit to the head of the valley at 1000m. After driving as far as we could go, a long brisk walk bought us to unstable mountain grassland which one felt was basically a boulder field on which lush vegetation constantly tried to smother the expanding collection of rocks as they dropped off the surrounding amphitheatre towering 500m above on three sides.
The species were initially a little disappointing. A Mountain Argus, worn Woodland Ringlets and pristine Arran Browns provided some distraction, and an Orange Tip was seen.
Mountain Argus
Mountain Argus
Not until the lunchtime heat did much else happen. Riverside scat provided the breakthrough. A flurry of Blues scattered as we walked nearby. On closer inspection Eros, Chalkhill, Damon and Small Blues were all enjoying the mineralogical feast.
Eros
Eros
Damon
Damon
Chalkhill
Chalkhill
Among the Sanfoin nearby Osiris Blues, a Damon Blue and a Large Blue had chosen a sweeter food source!
Large Blue
Large Blue
Damon
Damon
Descending back to the car, we furthermore saw Silver Washed Fritillaries, Commas and another rather large Pyrgus Skipper for which I am endeavouring to find an identity.
Large Grizzled Skipper
Large Grizzled Skipper

An evening trip up to the last venue of day 1 yielded further photo opportunities for several species, but none new for the trip.
Alpine Heaths
Alpine Heaths
Damon
Damon
Chalkhill
Chalkhill
Last edited by Reverdin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 5 – A trip across the Beaufort pass in Savoie to a site I had been before at 1500m. This turned out to be a relatively bad day. Most species were to active to photograph, until the sun went in at lunchtime, not really to re-appear. Almond-eyed Ringlet was definite and numerous, and my first witness of a female Mountain Fritillary was a pleasant suprise.
alberganus
alberganus
alberganus
alberganus
alberganus
alberganus
female Mountain Fritillary
and my favourite..
alberganus
alberganus
Two or three species of Pyrgus were present, identities being worked on!
amoricanus
amoricanus
alveus
alveus
serratulae
serratulae
I then drove down the steep switchback road and promptly deposited my car accidentally on a precipitous edge. :( - ?ironic smile from NickB?? :D
IMG_9986.JPG
I spent the rest of the day in recovery vehicles, taxis and finally a new Hire car and arrived back at base rather bedraggled and dejected, but at least no-one had been injured.. :?
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think it would be a little optimistic to try and identify those Pyrgus with certainty, Reverdin! But I agree that the second does look a lot like alveus. The first looks like armoricanus to me. I'm not sure how the voltinism works there, but if it was at altitude it could have been the very last of the first generation, which would explain its condition. Alveus is currently very fresh here in CH. The last could be female alveus, but I couldn't rule out female serratulae just from one angle like that... In some ways it looks more like serratulae than alveus.

Great pictures, especially the very last one, of your car! :D

Guy

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks for that Guy, those Pyrgus frustrate me+++. I didn't dare think amoricanus... but I'll take it as my first of that species, albeit battered a bit :D .. and the car... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Stand by for the next weary instalment :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”