Roundwood123

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
roundwood123

Roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

I found a Small Tortoiseshell today in the loo`s at work, i put it in the till shed to overwinter, hopefully it will survive, still lots of Winter Moths on "the " Oak tree including 20+ females which is the most i have ever seen.

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
roundwood123

Re: Roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Here is a picture of a Female Winter Moth, no idea on the identity of the passenger.
Attachments
IMG_9236 (Small).JPG

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Had a very nice new year walk in Harwich and Dovercourt with A/J [03/01/10], Lots of Birds around but just common stuff.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

A mild evening with 6.5 oC at 11.30pm, 14 Winter Moths at security lights along with a Scarce and Mottled Umber.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Only a few Moths around today but this female Mottled Umber was a first for me.
Attachments
IMG_9258 (Small).JPG

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I remember showing one of these to my friend's young daughters a few years ago. After the initial, "It's disgusting, squash it!!!" nonsense they were amazed to discover that not all moths have wings. I'll be checking my own security lights tonight, it's a bit wet but fairly mild here in Epsom. Nice pics, by the way.

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Thanks Gibster, sorry dont know your name, My camera struggles when taking pics of small bugs on trees, there just seems to be to many surfaces for the camera to focus properly, that coupled with the rubbish light levels today in the rain i suppose the pics came out ok.
Steve.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

A lovely day today, did 20 miles on the Bike and saw a Buzzard, 2 Kestrels and a Sparrowhark,
lots of Fieldfare and redwings in the hedgerows too, nice to see the sun after such a dark miserable week.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

The last few days have been very mild and i have been finding quite a few Mottled Umbers and Winter Moths, first Micro of the year A.ferrugana/notana.

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Had myself a male Epiphyas postvittana on 11th...phew, excitement levels are rocketing! :D
Off to Portland Bill tonight, back on 16th. Could see a few more micros down there?

Gibster. (aka Seth, seeing as you asked :wink: )

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Just enjoyed a mainly sunny week in Madiera with J/H/D/M, not many Butterflies around but the Moths were ok,
Attachments
IMG_9454 (Small).JPG
IMG_9409 (Small).JPG
IMG_9381 (Small).JPG
IMG_9306 (Small).JPG

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

A mild week so far with overnight temps not dipping below 40, Early Moths, Pale Brindled Beauty and Winter Moths to Security lights.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Went to Abberton res today, Bewicks Swan and Smew were notable finds as was a brief glimpse of a Hen Harrier.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

It turns out that 2 of the Moths i found on Madeira a couple of weeks ago are new to the Island, one is Epiphyas postvittana which is an Australian Moth that is now common in Britain, the other is Zelleria oleastrella, a Micro Moth that is resident in Southern Europe.
Steve.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

No Moths to security lights but lots of little bugs in polytunnels, lovely sunny Spring day 8) .

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

A few Moths around in the polytunnels, Early Moths, Emmi mono and the odd Mottled Umber, 35 miles on the bike this morning was very nice, got to get fit for those long summer walks.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

My first Hebrew Character of the year today at security lights, seems early, Still no Butterflies despite some lovely sunshine in recent days.

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

First Moth trap of the year led to a Dotted Border, March Moth, Small Quaker and a Chestnut, also 4 Caloptilia semifascia in a Tunnel.
Attachments
IMG_9629.JPG

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Nice to see some Moths at last, did my first trap in the new wood last night and most of the usual Spring species turned up.
Attachments
IMG_9719.JPG
IMG_9693.JPG
IMG_9691.JPG
IMG_9682.JPG
IMG_9634.JPG

roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Just spent a lovely week in Derbyshire, lots of sunshine and some top notch pub grub, what more could you want.
2 new Moths that are not resident in Essex.
Mottled Grey and a Acleris hyemana along with a Red Grouse which were quite common on amongst the Heather.
Attachments
IMG_9788.JPG
IMG_9774.JPG
IMG_9750.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”