White Admiral – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19 – So we enter the penultimate week of the 2017 Favourite Photo thread so think ahead ready for the Overall Favourite for next week.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: White Admiral – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by downland boy »

My favourite photograph is of this White Admiral pupa. It was the first one that I had ever found in the wild and out of four larvae that I watched develop, only this one survived to emerge as an imago. Its chosen pupation site was at a stem node, 15 feet from the ground and in 90% shade. The dark shadowy markings and reflective mirrors clearly help to break up its outline, making it less visible to predators.

More images can be viewed at http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk (click on "Life cycle of the White Admiral" Nov 2017)
Attachments
White Admiral (pupa) 4.6.17 Kent & East Sussex borders. Nigel Kemp.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great picture ,Downland Boy and a great find ! Nice one ! Enjoyed your excellent blog as well . ( How about sharing your superb "Diopthalmica" Peacock image ,in the abberations section . (just a thought ) Regards Allan.W.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've yet to find a pupa ...

My offering is a mere shadow of Downland Boy's:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Allan, I'm glad you liked the photo and blog.

Hi Guy, that is a great little image...you can actually see the white of the wings showing through the shadow.
David M

Post by David M »

LOL! A mere 'shadow' it may be, Guy, but a very distinctive one nonetheless!

Fair play to DB in finding that pupa though. That's one hell of a spot!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well I didn't find a pupae but last year I did come across my first final instar larvae in all it's resplendent spiky green livery
White Admiral larvae 5th instar, Bookham Commons.JPG
They had a good showing at Bookham when they emerged too, a week or two early like so many species last year
White Admiral, Bookham Commons #2.JPG
White Admiral, Bookham Commons.JPG
I also tried getting a snap along the same vein as Guy's above, but mine turned out a bit rubbish and were ultimately consigned to the bin... maybe this year...
Some addictions are good for the soul!
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

They have seemed less numerous over the last couple of years in my part of the world and still rather elusive last year.
But I did see a few and this nice individual was recorded on midsummer's day in Bradfield Woods, Suffolk.
IMGB3087_edited-5.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It was at Fermyn Woods on the 14th July that I saw my first and last White Admiral. We were on our way to Kent but stayed over night on the A14. I was hoping to get some shots of the Emperor , no shots but I did see him high in the tree's :D
I was happy to get some shots of the SWF as well although both Butterflies weren't in good condition I managed some decent shots and went happily on my way to Kent. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_822e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_84a7.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite encounter with this species was on 19th June, a very hot and sunny day, in the Strawberry Wood area of Black Park in Buckinghamshire. After drawing a blank for a while with the brambles and the rides, I found where the butterflies were hiding out. In a patch of younger oaks, with dappled shade, three or four individuals were cruising around in long low loops, pausing from time to time to rest in the shade with their wings open. This took place mostly at around head height, so shots from below were most of what was available, but what lovely views they were.
WA2 190617.JPG
WA4 190617.JPG
Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I would have liked to have used one of the shots from a memorable afternoon in Bucknell Wood, when I photographed 20 different species. Unfortunately, it was late in the season and all the White Admirals I saw had considerable wing damage. So, I turned to an earlier trip to Bernwood Forest, where I photographed this individual quite close to the Oakley Wood car-park, at the end of a very enjoyable afternoon's butterflying:
Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 18th June 2017<br />Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s @ f/6.3 ISO 1000
Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 18th June 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s @ f/6.3 ISO 1000
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I didn't see this species on UK soil in 2017. I had one attempt, at Lower Woods in Gloucestershire, just prior to midsummer but was too early.

Luckily, I saw a few in the French Alps a few weeks later, flying alongside their slightly more spectacular cousin, Southern White Admiral:
7.WhiteAdm1(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

White Admiral

This was taken at East Blean and I chose it because it’s one step closer to the prefect underwing shot that I’m striving for. It’s not square on an the wings are slightly raggedly but it’s the closest I’ve come to capturing the reds and oranges of the underwing…a couple more steps and I’ll have it.
DSC_0034 - Copy.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “White Admiral”