Gatekeeper/Hedge Brown - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I still prefer the 'proper' name for this species :wink:

Week 5 - The clocks have gone back, Fireworks night is upon us and the outside temperature is as though someone's turned the heating off so hopefully this thread will bring solace to those of us who are starting to go days without a butterfly sighting :( :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Gatekeeper/Hedge Brown - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

This species really did bounce back locally after the dreadful 2016 they had (although they seemed to do better up north, they were rather numerous on Arnside Knott last year). They were particularly numerous at Bookham where most of my shots this year were taken including a few eye catching abs:
Gatekeeper female ab. anticrasipuncta, Bookham Commons.JPG
Gatekeeper female ab. Excessa, Bookham Commons.JPG
I also rather like this, at first glance innocent looking image. The odd angle he was sat at made me look twice and it was then I noticed the sinister 'claw' of a hidden Crab Spider clutching at the recently deceased male.
Gatekeeper male predated, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's always nice to get two for the price of one, so my favourite photo shows both the underside and uppersides of two Gatekeepers, nectaring on the same flower.
nr. Yeovil, Somerset - 29th July 2017<br />Panasonic DMC-TZ25 - 1/250s@f/4.9 ISO200 (-0.3EV bias)
nr. Yeovil, Somerset - 29th July 2017
Panasonic DMC-TZ25 - 1/250s@f/4.9 ISO200 (-0.3EV bias)
These were taken during a visit to a relative's wildlife garden, which attracts many nectaring insects, including bees as well as butterflies. You might like to visit their blog, which highlights concerns over [mis-]management of the countryside.

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've picked three photo's of Gate Keepers because my very first encounter this year was a shot of an ab in the Dunes at Southport on the 5th July which I like and a Female GK taken in my Back Garden on the 7th of August, it's the first GK i'd seen in the Garden for a year or two. My third is a distance shot which I took at Hall-Lee-Brook on the 16th of August I just like the photo :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Taken 5th July
Taken 5th July
Taken 7th August
Taken 7th August
Taken 16th August
Taken 16th August
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

My male open wing shot was of a very fresh individual from Orlestone forest (Kent) ,Gatekeepers didn,t do quite as well locally this year,and I never managed too many pictures . The closed wing shot is from my back garden perched on a relative of Sea Holly ,think this is Blue Eyringo ,what I do know is that it stinks to high heaven !! and flies (and some butterflies !) love it.
P1140705.JPG
P1140395.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have picked a mating pair from my local patch on 8th July, as despite their abundance for a while I hardly ever find them paired. Curiously, Gatekeepers appeared at their normal time here this year when most species were early.
GK pair2 080717.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Gatekeepers were another species that seemed to have a good year with good numbers seen at most places I visited during their flight period.
Gatekeeper male - Snitterfield Bushes 09.07.2017
Gatekeeper male - Snitterfield Bushes 09.07.2017
They were one of the commonest butterflies that I saw at Arnside Knott where these two individuals with white patches were seen, strangely enough both within a few feet of each other in the same meadow.
Gatekeeper male - Arnside Knott 31.07.2017
Gatekeeper male - Arnside Knott 31.07.2017
Gatekeeper female - Arnside Knott 31.07.2017
Gatekeeper female - Arnside Knott 31.07.2017
I also had more in my garden than I usually do with half a dozen at a time on some days instead of the usual one or two,
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 22.07.2017
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 22.07.2017
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 22.07.2017
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 22.07.2017
Cheers,

Neil
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

No doubt about my favourite Gatekeeper photograph. Badger Bob and I were out walking in a Wealden wood in East Sussex when he spotted this male (ab.obscurior) sitting in the undergrowth. It was in no hurry to go anywhere and we 'filled our boots'.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Gatekeeper (m) (ab.obscurior) 12.7.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp0001.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

That's an absolute stunner, DB. Never seen anything like it.
David M

Post by David M »

Given the early nature to the season as well as my time spent in France in July, I didn't really see too many Hedge Browns in 2017.

There WAS one occasion when they came to my attention though; in Abergavenny at the back end of July when I saw this individual:
1HBunsfemale(1).jpg
This aberrant individual was also eye-catching on 10th August at West Williamston in Pembrokeshire:
1.HedgeBrab(1).jpg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi David,

I would venture to suggest that your female Gatekeeper (last entry) would also fit into the category of ab. obscurior or ab. semi-obscura.

Take a look at the Cockayne collection website where you will see a very similar example to yours.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/cockayne-collection

All the best, DB.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that information, DB. However, the link takes me to a 'dead' page! :(
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Gatekeeper

This was taken on the last day of July ‘Up The Lane’ whilst visiting my in-laws. This year was another good one for aberrants with many excessa (are they getting more common?) one with one pupil, one with three pupils, some with a multitude of spots and one really striking one with streaks and not spots on the underside. However this female topped the bill for me as she was so fresh and so well marked, a joy to behold.
DSC_0022 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The Gatekeepers in our garden are fond of nectaring on two plants in particular - fleabane and small scabious. Here is a female on the former.
Dsc01791.jpg

Return to “Gatekeeper”