Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Abbot’s Wood near Hailsham is a place that some of you here are familiar with I think, I went there for the first time last year and returned this year.
I didn’t actually know that the Pearl-bordered Fritillary could be found there, only discovering this fact after I read the information board in the car park! But being July it was too late to see them.
The aim was to have a good walk around, see what was about and learn the area.
I did a circuit of the main paths, visited the lake and also explored some of the lesser paths that branched off.

At a small clearing with some thistles in it, something big and orange caught my eye,
a male Silver Washed Fritillary was busy feeding.
This was the first one I’d seen up close, a very impressive butterfly!
1_P1060956.jpg
2_P1070086.jpg
3_P1070117.jpg
I came across an area with Ringlets.
4_P1070233.jpg
4-5_P1070219.jpg
And a lovely Leopard Slug on the path nearby.
5_P1070252.jpg
An Angle Shades moth caterpillar ? maybe..
6_P1070296.jpg
Comma, Meadow Brown, unknown White and some moths and dragonflies also seen before the end of a very enjoyable day.
With the SWF as a highlight.

I returned in May this year with the hope of seeing some Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.

There were lots of these Speckled Yellow moths about.
7_P1170328.jpg
Green Veined White and Orange Tip by the side of the paths.
8_P1170383.jpg
9_P1170397.jpg
10_P1170444.jpg
Then in a larger open area, a PBF!
11_P1170524.jpg
The best side view I was able to get.. damn you twigs!
12_P1170512.jpg
Then I saw these, which look like Small PBF's to me, an unexpected but welcome addition!
13_P1180460.jpg
14_P1180654.jpg
15_P1180706.jpg
16_P1180714.jpg
I spent a while watching them, and getting a few shots, Painted Lady and Small Copper also dropped by.
It was fantastic to see all these lovely butterflies, Abbot's Wood is somewhere I will definately return to.

Cheers

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely shots Andrew. You got lucky with those SPBF, newly reintroduced to Abbots Wood but kept hush hush in their first season to give them their best chance of settling in :). You did well to get that Speckled Yellow as well, they really are very skittish little sods!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Bugboy, ah I see, in that case I'm glad I didn't join UKB earlier and post them as soon I took them!
Agreed on the Yellows, there was a large mass of cloud passing over, that seemed to calm him down. :)

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Andrew, and although your butterflies are magnificent, that Leopard Slug has to be the pick of your presentation.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Ha! Thanks David :D Glad you like it, it was another first for me. :)

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Andrew, the Pearls and Small Pearls are lush but that first Silver-washed is a real cracker of a shot, to my mind it really captures the butterfly and the season it flies in :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Wurzel, thanks a lot m8! :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a great selection of fritillaries, Andrew, particularly the SPBF. Lovely shots. :) :mrgreen:

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot dave :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

And I forgot to say - that is one splendid slug! I've never seen such a beast... :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Here are some shots taken over several visits to Denge Wood in Kent. Located to the south west of Canterbury, conservation work has been done here in support of the Duke of Burgundy butterfly.
1_P1010475.jpg
I saw my first Duke’s in an area called The Warren, at the edge of a grassy path two males were chasing each other, and a Dingy Skipper, around.
I managed to get a shot of one in a pause between bout’s, with some daisy's for scale.
2_P1030531.jpg
Another Duke area is the Bonsai Bank, here are a male and a female, always nice to see both.
3_P1170193.jpg
4_P1170236.jpg
5_P1170287.jpg
During my circular-ish walks around I saw plenty of other butterflies.
Green Veined White, Comma, Dingy Skipper and Brimstone.
6_P1010471.jpg
Peacock, Wall (my first female :D ) and Small White.
Meadow Brown and Common Blue also spied along the way.
7_P1010606.jpg
Lots of other insect life to see, like this Common Darter Dragonfly.
8_P1010647.jpg
This really caught my eye, this bug had just shed it's skin. But I don't know what it is, one of the shield bugs ?
9_P1010505.jpg
So Denge Wood, a great place to visit if you want to see the Duke of Burgundy, and a very pleasant place to explore in general.
All credit to those involved in the conservation work.

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, I visit my daughter every year in Kent but always usually in Summer time, we've visited Denge Woods a couple of times then and that's the first time I ever saw a Silver Washed fritillary, also there we saw White Admiral all near the entrance, we stopped going there because the road through the woods was always full of thick mud and we didn't know of a better entrance so we'll certainly take a good look at the map you've posted. :D
Love your shots of the Duke and the other other Butterflies Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report there Andrew I always find it fascinating hearing about sites from around the country that I've not visited before, great set of Duke shots as by the way :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful presentation, Andrew and many thanks for the site overview image which is something I always appreciate.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great reports and photos Andrew, they certainly brighten up a cold dark night :D

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great selection of shots Andrew, particularly like the female Wall,
nice neutral, uncluttered background.

Trevor.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Goldie, very nice :D
I know what you mean, Penny Pot Lane is certainly long, winding and narrow!
Glad you like the shots :)

Hey Wurzel, thanks buddy :D

Thanks a lot David :D

Hi Neil, that's good to hear! :D

Thanks Trevor, now I always associate Walls with High and Over and your good self :D

Cheers

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Andrew
It is always nice to see a new diary taking shape. Lovely female Duke of Burgundy from your last post :D .

millerd

Post by millerd »

All the years I lived in Dover, and I had no idea Denge Woods existed... what a waste! Great Shots, Andrew, particularly the Duke and Duchess selection! :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Paul, thanks a lot. :D

Thanks Dave. :D
I'm certainly learning about new places to go through UKB. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”