essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

After a couple of dull but mild days, the sun came out to play today-and it was my day off! :D

I'm my local woods, the sun was setting off the splendid autumn colour on the beech trees. The buzzards were around, and I found a hornet nest in an ash tree. A Red Admiral was settled nearby, but was a little worn.
P1670315.JPG
By mid morning, it was already warm, so I headed off to Canvey Island, which I thought would be my best chance of a few butterflies. Although it clouded over at times, and I feared the worst for a while, I needn't have worried. The warm sunshine returned. Throughout the day, Red Admirals were speeding through, heading south. Most did not stop, but this one did.
P1670328.JPG
P1670330.JPG
After a bit more searching, I found what I was really hoping to see, a Clouded Yellow, in mint condition. I'm my excitement, unfortunately I approached too quickly and twice I disturbed her, and she flew over the hedge and disappeared. Despite much searching, I failed to relocate her. So I retraced my steps, and there she was, back in the original area! Then the sun went in, and she went to ground. This time, I kept my distance. This was a gamble, as she would have been easy to photograph but if I disturbed her again, she might fly over the hedge again and be lost. But it worked as when the sun returned, she set about feeding on the hawkweeds in the vicinity, and allowed an approach close enough for pictures, provided I was careful :D .

A male was around, too and a Comma, Wall and faded Meadow Brown were seen, as well as a distant white. A super late October day. :D
Attachments
P1670349.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Clouded Yellow Mark, and a very fresh one too.
Bet you were pleased to find one closer to home. No sun for me today.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What a cracking shot Essex :D :mrgreen: :twisted: Brilliant shot :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Another divine Clouded Yellow, Mark. You have done remarkably well with this species lately.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Trevor, yes I saw it was rather cloudy down there, hopefully there should be some sunshine, and sightings, for you tomorrow and the weekend.

Yes, in well pleased with her and, even better, that she allowed me, eventually, to get close enough for some shots.

Yes David, and this is the best yet. I just need one more-in November!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Clouded indeed essex, I've yet to get a shot I'm happy with.
Glad your tactics paid off :)

Cheers

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Andrew. It was touch and go for a while, but it worked in the end!

At work there is an ivy 'Paddy's Pride ' which is in sunshine until 3pm, now 2pm, and the last few day there has been up to 4 Red Admiral and, last Friday, a Comma. This morning, a Red Admiral was nectaring from it when the air temperature was just 5 degrees! Sadly, high cloud spread in shortly after, making the weak late October sun even weaker, before clearing towards evening! Here are a few pictures...
Attachments
P1670382.JPG
P1670393.JPG
P1670365.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely autumnal fare Essex :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great that you're still seeing Commas, Mark. I doubt there'll be anything aside from Red Admirals in my neck of the woods from here on in. :(

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Nice shots essex, love the sky background.

Cheers

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. A bit of sunshine certainly helps!

NOVEMBER SUNSHINE. NOVEMBER BUTTERFLIES!

What a fantastic couple of days I've had this week! It started on Wednesday, with a visit to Shoreham- Southwick. Immediately on arrival, we found Trevor, who had already found the first Clouded Yellow of the day, and kindly showed it to us.
P1670446.JPG
Shortly after, Dave Cook arrived, and a Small Tortoiseshell was seen.
P1670448.JPG
A short walk along the harbour produced a Comma, resting in the hedge
P1670453.JPG
Most of the ivy has now finished, but one small patch was still in flower, and had several Red Admiral feeding on it
P1670459.JPG
A second Clouded Yellow was seen, and the morning finished off with a Silver Y. Then it was off to Mill Hill...
Attachments
P1670456.JPG
P1670460.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The afternoons are now very short, but Mill Hill is only ten minutes drive from Shoreham, and the warm weather held. On the way out of Shoreham, a Small White male was by the road, but was too quick for my camera. At Mill Hill, a Red Admiral was soon spotted, but this Painted Lady was a much bigger surprise
P1670470.JPG
On the south-facing slope we soon began seeing Clouded Yellows, probably 8-10 in all, in varying condition. From the old
P1670480.JPG
To the new,
P1670491.JPG
I suspect they are still emerging here. All seen closely were males, so where were the females? I wonder if they mate on emergence then migrate south, leaving the males to take their chance at further mating opportunities? At the bottom of the slope, there was one more surprise-a female Small Copper.
P1670498.JPG
She was crawling on the vegetation but I didn't see her lay any eggs.

By mid-afternoon the sun was already dipping but, over the two sites, we had seen an incredible 7 November species! These were Clouded Yellows 10+, Red Admiral 6, Small White 1, Painted Lady 1, Comma 1, Small Copper 1 and Small Tortoiseshell 1.
Attachments
P1670509.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I was at both those sites the day before and saw just a handful or Red Admiral :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's as many Cloudies as there were there six weeks ago, Essex. And still fresh ones. They seem to continue breeding completely oblivious to shorter days. Lovely to see though, and seven species is a very good haul for the time of year. Nice Painted Lady too! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Seven species at this time of year is a great haul Essex :D :mrgreen: Those Cloudies are certainly going strong as there are some lovely fresh looking ones in the mix there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Looks like an amazing day essex, great stuff.

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's great to see Butterflies in your posts , it's making the season seem much longer :D Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. It was a brilliant day, fantastic for November. I'm glad in helping extend the season for you, Goldie. Every little helps!

The next day, Thursday, I had booked a day off work. And by sheer luck, the weather was warm again, and if anything, sunnier than Wednesday. So it was off to Dungerness, where I was delighted to meet Hoggers and his Small Coppers again. More on that hopefully tomorrow, when time allows. 8)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So, another warm, sunny November day saw us at Dungerness. A walk around the perimeter wall produced our first butterfly of the day, a Clouded Yellow. Later, while talking to Hoggers, we saw another, which Hoggers managed to capture in flight, I managed this grounded picture.
P1670525.JPG
A later walk along the wall produced this Small Tortoiseshell, almost certainly our last of the year.
P1670570.JPG
Quite a few dragonflies were still around, mostly Common Darters but a few Migrant Hawkers.
P1670587.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

But the day belonged to the Small Coppers. Most were found in the moat area and were highly variable in terms of wear. Here is a very worm adult.
P1670515.JPG
This Copper had probably had a dangerous encounter with a bird.
P1670517.JPG
Some were in reasonable condition.
P1670522.JPG
And this female was newly emerged.
P1670549.JPG
The few remaining ox-eye daisies were being used.
P1670555.JPG
Any remaining ragwort flowers were a magnet for the Coppers
P1670589.JPG
They were using the shingle to warm up, in between bouts of feeding
P1670593.JPG
Sadly, this wonderful warm, sunny November day had to end, and we remained to watch the Coppers going to roost, the last female closing her wings at 3.30.
P1670609.JPG
Zzz.
Attachments
P1670616.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”