Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi everyone, after discovering this site, through a chance meeting with Trevor, I thought I'd start my own personal diary.

My interest in butterflies is relatively recent, growing over the last 2-3 years.
I've gone from just enjoying walking in the countryside to seeking out specific sites and species, and upgrading camera's along the way.

I'll start off with a few pre-2017 pics if I may.

Cheers

Andrew

1_P1010342.jpg
When I took this shot I hadn't seen an Orange Tip or many other butterflies up close, it really opened my eyes to their beauty.
Taken near Godalming Surrey.
2_P1040153.JPG
3_P1020747.jpg
Visiting family in Dorset is always fantastic, doubly so now as it turns out to be a great place for butterflies!
Graylings, on Portland and near Bovington.
4_P1000209.jpg
5_P1000223.jpg
6_P1000404.jpg
One of the first times I went out just to try and see and photograph butterflies.
Large(?) White, Brimstone and Painted Lady, taken at Polhill Bank Nature Reserve in the Darent Valley north of Sevenoaks Kent.

For those interested the camera's used were..

Pics 1 & 2 Panasonic fz200 bridge camera
Pic 3 Panasonic lx7 compact camera
Pics 4,5 & 6 Panasonic fz1000 bridge camera

Thanks, more to come!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Re: Andrew555

Post by trevor »

You took the plunge then Andrew !. A warm welcome from me.
This season is all but over, even here it is slowing down now.
Hope you will post some more of your work over the coming months
to help make the winter more interesting in the dark evenings ahead.

Love the Grayling shots, they earn you your first mrgreen :mrgreen: .
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very much looking forward to future selections, Andrew, if those are typical... :) I also like your Graylings - I think almost every shot I have of them they are either on the ground or on a piece of heather. By the way, your White is a Large one as you guessed (I think the grey smudge on the top of the hindwing is a good pointer).

Dave

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Welcome from me too, Andrew.
Looking forward to more of your photos.
I also have just upgraded from the FZ150 to the FZ1000 - a nice bit of kit - ready for 2018.
Chris

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Trevor, yup and it's entirely your fault! :lol:
Thanks for the welcome and don't worry, plenty more pics to share.
I am honoured to receive a mrgreen :)

Hi Dave, thanks very much, I kind of take 20+ shots and if 1 turns out good I'm very happy!
But I try to learn as I go along, I'm definately better at 'stalking' butterflies now :)
Thanks for the clarification regarding the White.

Hi Chris, thank you, congratulations on your purchase.
I really liked the fz200, pretty similar to the fz150 I *think*
But no regrets on switching to the fz1000, I love it.

Cheers all

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Welcome from me too :). I'm still a relative newbie on here myself, only about 3 years or so but it feels like I've been posting much longer. Looking forward to seeing what else you've managed to stalk up on in the coming gloomy months :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some great stuff to start with Andrew, looking forward to future postings :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Always good to see a new diary. I agree that close-up views of butterflies, on camera, reveal a beauty that can be missed during field observations.

Some small species, such as Marsh Fritillary, can just look like an orange-ish blur but a photo brings out the amazing detail.

All the best for the coming season :)

Mike

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks bugboy, I'm looking foward to learning more from others on this site.

Hey thanks Wurzel, cheers.

Hi Mike, I've not seen a Marsh Fritillary yet, it's on my list for next year.
Hopefully a well timed visit to Dorset will bring success.

David M

Post by David M »

A warm welcome from me as well, Andrew. I like the level of detail you obtain in your images and will look forward to many more! 8)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks very much David, I appreciate it :)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

And a very warm welcome from me too. If you've met Trevor, I'm guessing you live down south? If so, I can thoroughly recommend the new 'Butterflies of Sussex ' book , with Michael Blencowe and our very own Neil Hulme, for a wealth of information on sites, flight times and much more. :)

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hi Andrew, welcome from me too!
I'm a relative newbie, joined just over a year ago in order to take photos of butterflies but being here produced a much deeper interest. Love your Graylings! Looking forward to seeing more of your pics.
Best wishes, Janet

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi essex, thanks for the welcome! Yes I am in the south, Orpington to be precise, most of my wanderings are in Kent/Surrey/Sussex.
I've already bought it! :D arrived a week or so ago, and a fantastic piece of work it is to. I will certainly be using it to see more next year.

Cheers

Hi Janet, yes it's great hearing the stories, seeing the pictures and learning from the like minded people here.
Thank you for the welcome, more pics to come.

All the best

Andrew

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Andrew,

Just caught up with your new dairy and a welcome from me too.

Some great photos so far, looking forward to seeing more. I use a Panasonic FZ200 myself and notice you have moved on to the FZ1000. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the 1000 in comparison to the 200?

Cheers,

Neil.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Neil, thanks very much for the welcome.

The 1000 is bigger and heavier than the 200, but not so much that it has ever been an issue for me.
The electronic viewfinder in the 1000 is so much better than the 200.
You lose some optical zoom range (400mm vs 600mm) but I don't really miss that extra reach,
it's worth it for me to get the bigger 1" sensor.
And I find I can get very passable shots in the 400-600 digital zoom range anyway.

Overall I am super happy with the fz1000 and have never looked back.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Exmoor is one of my favorite places in the country, and I've been there many times.
But it wasn't until I starting reading more about butterflies I realized it was home to one of Britain's rarest.
I had to go and have a look, these pics were taken in June 2016 at Heddon's Mouth on the North Devon coast.

The formation landing of these Dark Green Fritillaries was much appreciated!
7_P1050325.jpg
A nice male Large Skipper.
8_P1050432.jpg
The wind was playing havoc with this Small Tortoiseshells hair!
9_P1060565.jpg
A Golden-ringed Dragonfly, just hanging around.
10_P1060687.jpg
High Brown Fritillary sighted!
11_P1050492.jpg
These last 3 shots are of 2 individuals.
The sex brands and third spot alignment on the upper forewing make them High Brown males, I think!
12_P1050513.jpg
13_P1060510.jpg
14_P1060513.jpg
All in all a fantastic day in magnificent surroundings.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely shots of the fritillaries, Andrew, from a terrific spot down in Devon. :) The HBF is on the increase down there, which is a testament to successful management of the area.

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Dave, that's really good to hear.

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

High Browns without a doubt, Andrew. Sounds like you had a wonderful day down there.

Return to “Personal Diaries”