October 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
essexbuzzard

Re: October 2017

Post by essexbuzzard »

Visited two sites in Shoreham, West Sussex today, Sunday. At the harbour, Small White 5, (numbers estimated) Large White 1, Clouded Yellow 8, 1 helice, Small Coppers 2, Common Blue 10, Red Admiral 2.
Then onto Mill Hill NR, Small White 3,Clouded Yellow 5, Common Blue 8, Comma 1, Red Admiral 2, Painted Lady 1, Meadow Brown 10, Wall 4. 10 species in October. Had there been a bit more sunshine, I'm sure I could have managed a couple more! More to come on my PD.
Attachments
P1670153.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for comments David ,concerning the Blue spot Copper,i was pleased to see it ! I,m pretty certain its the same individual that Hoggers found earlier in the day ,it was a beauty ! Regards Allan.W.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Lossiemouth Moray, 9th October
One Peacock and one [surprise] GV White.

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

peterc wrote:After finding 2 or 3 female Small Coppers in a small area on my local patch last Thursday I decided to search for eggs at this spot today. I did look for them on Thursday without success. There is much low-growing Sheep's Sorrel around but I did't really know exactly where to look so I was struggling. After over an hour I eventually found one. It was on a south-west facing bank but sheltered from woodland on the western side some 10-20 metres away.

ATB

Peter
Last Sunday, I returned to the spot where I found the egg. It had now hatched. Does anyone know what the white area above the egg shell is? Could it be the larva? See photo below - not the best quality I am afraid :)

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Small Copper egg shell Knebworth Park 8Oct17
Small Copper egg shell Knebworth Park 8Oct17
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

peterc wrote:Does anyone know what the white area above the egg shell is?
Hi Peter,

After emerging from the egg, the larva will move to the underside of the leaf and feed on the epidermis. This leaves transparent "windows" in the leaf when viewed from above, and you may be seeing the start of that. The only way to check is to look on the underside of the leaf.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
peterc

Post by peterc »

Pete Eeles wrote:
peterc wrote:Does anyone know what the white area above the egg shell is?
Hi Peter,

After emerging from the egg, the larva will move to the underside of the leaf and feed on the epidermis. This leaves transparent "windows" in the leaf when viewed from above, and you may be seeing the start of that. The only way to check is to look on the underside of the leaf.

Cheers,

- Pete
Thanks Pete. I will search for the larva and any leaf 'damage' in the next few days.

Peter
peterc

Post by peterc »

Visited Knebworth Park again today to find Small Copper eggs and larvae at the spot when I found an egg last week. I was joined by a chap who was having a lunch break and showed him the hatched out egg. Within a couple of minutes he looked under a leaf on the same plant and saw 5 eggs and 2 larvae :) .

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Small Copper eggs and larvae Knebworth Park 12Oct17
David M

Post by David M »

Great observations, Peter!

I can't seem to get out of the house lately for larvae or anything else, but I did see my first butterfly for a couple of weeks from my kitchen window at around noon today - a Comma basking on my neighbour's roof:
1Comma(1).jpg
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Was tempted out by warm ( but breezy ) weather... walked all the way round Grafham Water. In spots sheltered from the breeze there were some fine Red Admirals and a few Commas on the brambles.
23823931638_81c2caac91_h.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

peterc wrote:Well done on the Comma - perhaps you'll see more in the next days before the storm arrives...
I had high hopes of that, Peter, but the forecast has changed radically and this weekend looks to be yet another no-go zone. :(

It really has been dire here lately, and I've all but written off the back end of the season, save for the inevitable Red Admirals that are likely to keep going into mid-November
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of hours at Dungeness ,midday, and there were about 20-30 birders in a clump around one of the small dwellings "having" a Raddes Warbler ,we left them too it and did our usual short walk ,plenty still on show,on a glorious day ! with at least 11 Clouded Yellows on the wing (but could have been up to 14 ) but alas not a Helice amongst them ! 18 Small Coppers ,most in fine fettle ,with a few tatty males
found one slight oddity ,I,ve seen similar before,with very orange hindwings ,possibly AB;Auronitens . 2 Small Heath, one each Red Ad; Painted Lady
and Peacock.
P1200221.JPG
P1200219.JPG
P1200212.JPG
P1200207.JPG
P1200200.JPG
peterc

Post by peterc »

Found just two Small Coppers yesterday at the site where I found the eggs and the larvae but I also saw a moth larva on the ground which I can't positively identify. Perhaps a Ruby Tiger?

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Moth larva Knebworth Park 15Oct17
Moth larva Knebworth Park 15Oct17
Small Copper Knebworth Park 15Oct17
Small Copper Knebworth Park 15Oct17
jenks

Post by jenks »

Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend at the Portland Bird Observatory. Sunday saw an incredible 68 Firecrests caught,ringed and released in the observatory gardens. This compares with a previous best annual total of 67 Firecrests ! And butterflies were in good attendance too, especially on Saturday afternoon in the warm sunshine. Seen were; 2 Small White, 2 Large White, 1 Comma, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 6 Peacock, at least 10 Red Admiral, 6 Speckled Wood and 3 Clouded Yellow including 1 helice. Also Common Darter and Southern Hawker dragonflies. Not bad for an October weekend.

Jenks.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

68 Firecrests Brilliant Jenks,although I,m not a heavy duty birder these days ,I still never tire of seeing these little gems,very envious !! Nice one. Theres been 4-5 at Dungeness over the weekend.......but 68 .
Had a day off today ,thought I,d visit my local patch(Orlestone forest, Kent) ,well past its best now ,didn,t expect too much, probably my last visit (for butterflies) this year ,the foresters were busy ,cropping and piling the pines.
P1200288.JPG
With a fair breeze blowing ,and leaves falling around me ,I nearly turned back ,but in the distance I noticed a yellow "leaf" skip across the ride and was amazed to see a Clouded Yellow.....a female ,very pleased with this !
P1200273.JPG
Spent about an hour and a quarter ,wandering about,and only managed one more butterfly a single fresh Red Admiral, noticed a large caterpillar wandering about ,which I think is an Oak Eggar.
P1200293.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Hurrah! Only my second butterfly in what has been an abjectly dismal October.

In dull conditions late morning a Red Admiral settled on my works car park. Afraid it might be crushed, I walked over and was able to pick it up and put it amongst the shrubs along the walkway nearby.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another (rather late) brand new third brood Holly Blue on my local patch near Heathrow today...
HB12 201017.JPG
HB5 201017.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Nice sighting, Dave.

I had my own bonus at lunch time today after nipping out to my old stomping ground at Clydach, 7 miles north of Swansea. I ate my sandwich in a known hotspot and sure enough, I was treated to three Red Admirals, a male Large White and a beautiful Small Copper. :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant, David! :) Glad to hear there are still a few things lurking in South Wales as well...

Dave
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Before Storm Brian turns up tomorrow I thought I would have one more quick look in the High and Over area to see if I could find just one more Wall Brown. As it was one female was seen and will probably be my last of the year after the battering expected tomorrow!! Also seen were 2 Speckled Wood, 1 Peacock, 3 Red Admiral and at least 4 Clouded Yellow all trying to keep out of the strong wind. As the light faded a really nice Clouded Yellow was found that gave a chance for a quick photo.
Female Wall Brown.
Female Wall Brown.
Female Clouded Yellow.
Female Clouded Yellow.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

21st October - Nairnshire
Bowles' Mauve works its magic again.
17-10-21-537-RedAdmiral.jpg
17-10-21-527-RedAdmiral.jpg
"Who's a furry beastie?"

For those who don't know Bowles' Mauve, it's a short lived perennial wallflower (normally lasts three to four years but I have seen very large examples that are presumably older.) It becomes a little woody with age and it should not be pruned into the woody stems - it will only grow from the green shoots. It is very easy to take cuttings and I achieve almost 100% success - except when I am impatient and plant out before the cutting has properly rooted. Flowers here for nine months and probably all year in mild coastal districts. The plant is frost-hardy.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”