Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Allan.W.

Re: Hoggers

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Hoggers,
Sorry I missed you this morning ,funny you should mention "Peasoup" when I arrived around 7.15 am it was just that ! but within half hour it had lifted , I managed 52 Coppers ,including a couple of Blue Spots and another unusually marked Dusky individual, your bird is a Sparrowhawk as you suggested ,they did trap one sometime during the morning, Small Heaths ,fresh Brown Argus and 8 Humming bird Hawks warming up on the power station wall when I arrived. was good but I tried for your "Remota " but no joy ,but I did glimpse it yesterday .At Brookland ,dozens of Whites ,and Small Heath,but dissapointingly only 1 Copper ,but very good to see 3 Clouded Yellow ......bodes well for later on !
Regards Allan.W.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers for the comments Trevor and Allan, much appreciated.

With reports of a poisonous gas cloud coming in off the sea at Eastbourne yesterday, it was with some trepidation that I ventured down to Dungeness this morning. Fortunately all was well
IMG_6743.JPG
My brother was able to come along with me.He has some mobility issues (bad knees) so instead of the hard core extreme Coppering I'm accustomed to we took things at a far more leisurely pace
IMG_6756.JPG
IMG_6755.JPG
Whilst taking a break I was delighted to be well and truly "trousered" by a Copper
IMG_6730.JPG
This is the first time I have been honoured in this way. I do not pretend that my "Matalan Chinos" can approach the mythic status of Neil Hulme's moleskins and their power over The Emperor, but I have decided never to wash them again.

A dream ending to my August Bank Holiday weekend
IMG_6757.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Autumn at Dungeness means busy times at the Ragwort
IMG_6836.JPG
Conditions there today were perfect for Coppering
IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG
It seemed that every flower had at least one Small Copper
IMG_6814.JPG
IMG_6807.JPG
And the brambles had their own attractions
IMG_6821.JPG
I counted 128 Small Copper today
IMG_6818.JPG
Some boldly marked
IMG_6834.JPG
but this one with reduced spotting
IMG_6832.JPG
Dungeness is a wonderful place to be!
IMG_6845.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

That penultimate one is another very striking specimen, Hoggers. You sure have a varied range of individuals at that site. Small Coppers always seem to be attracted to yellow flowers....seeing one on ragwort is a real September scene for me.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's, My September scene is definitely the Copper on the Red Berries, Beautiful, Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The third brood of Small Copper at Dungeness is still going strong
IMG_6913.JPG
But has past its best
IMG_6856.JPG
I noticed worn individuals now outnumber the fresh
IMG_6864.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG
Here's a Copper with her drinking-straw out enjoying some Blackberry juice
IMG_6927.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG
Another female was being pestered by a male
IMG_6882.JPG
He pursued her for a good four minutes before finally getting the message that she wasn't interested
IMG_6873.JPG
I saw 2 Humming-bird Hawk Moths, about 10 Painted Lady
IMG_6897.JPG
And 2 Clouded Yellow
IMG_6952.JPG
I also glimpsed a Redstart on migration.

I enjoy Autumnal butterflying
IMG_6891.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
IMG_6944.JPG
The pace is easier and it doesn't get too hot!
IMG_6959.JPG
IMG_6916.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
A good opportunity to stock up on some butterflying memories before the season comes to an end
IMG_6926.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's, great shots of the Copper's on the Berries, it's amazing their still going strong :D Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Goldie, they are doing really well : I counted 74 yesterday, although overall condition is in decline. But I expect there to be a small fourth brood if the weather stays ok.

I've seen them drinking up juice from the ripe Blackberries in the past but it's not something I've come across very often (and from memory it's mostly the females that do so, rather than the males).

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

After two weeks of Tonsilitis I needed cheering up :
IMG_6975.JPG
A bright new Small Copper met the bill perfectly
IMG_7008.JPG
It's my first day out of quarantine and I'm not yet up to strength so I took a shorter walk than usual at Dungeness. I noticed how lush the plants now look
IMG_7030.JPG
Such a contrast to earlier this year!

I met David Walker who kindly identified this attractive flower for me
IMG_7038.JPG
Moth Mullien

My Copper-O-Meter registered 18 today
IMG_6984.JPG
Eleven were worn and dented third brood
IMG_7003.JPG
IMG_7017.JPG
I find these old campaigners interesting
IMG_7032.JPG
An example of how tough these little butterflies are. I look and wonder what hard battles they've fought through the late summer days
IMG_7027.JPG
But the rest were beautiful fourth brood Coppers
IMG_7012.JPG
I watched a male pursue a female
IMG_7044.JPG
During her escape and much to my surprise she completely flattened herself!
IMG_7042.JPG
This is something I have never seen a female do when repelling all boarders (although I once witnessed a male flatten himself to the ground on a breezy day)

It was a gorgeous day to see some Small Coppers and just what the doctor ordered
IMG_7047.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

I hope that tonsillitis is firmly behind you, Hoggers and yes, what better way to consign it to history with such a beautiful array of divine Small Coppers. All being well there’ll still be a fair few over the next week or three!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello David, my tonsils are back to normal thank you. Up until they went wrong I'd never have known they were there!

A day off work and plenty of sunshine. I saw a Clouded Yellow while taking my dogs out this morning so a good start to the day.

Dungeness by 11am and the Coppers were getting busy
IMG_7139.JPG
What a treat to be able to find fresh Small Coppers so late in the year
IMG_7069.JPG
IMG_7092.JPG
IMG_7163.JPG
Though a few old timers are still on the wing
IMG_7104.JPG
I watched males in combat
IMG_7172.JPG
IMG_7173.JPG
After which the two contestants would sit in the sun for a rest
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7181.JPG
I counted 23 today
IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7113.JPG
A real pleasure
IMG_7109.JPG
IMG_7144.JPG
IMG_7166.JPG
It felt more like July than October!
IMG_7141.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a glorious sight those new Coppers are, Hoggers! :) Long may they continue to appear down there. I had to make do with just the one on my local patch today... :mrgreen:

Dave

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Hoggers,
I had a day off as well today ,and we made a short visit to Dungeness as well,i recognise your second to last Copper ,with fairly distinctive forewing markings , I photographed it as well ! nearby I saw a very unusual Copper which I was unable to get a pic of ,it appeared to have just two spots on each forewing...... can't win them all ! Also managed 10 + Clouded Yellows and about a dozen Coppers .
Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Millerd and Allan, it is a wonderful thing to be able to see fresh Small Coppers at this late stage in the season (and the one with the crescent markings was gorgeous)

My car dashboard indicated 17C when I arrived at Dungeness this morning and I immediately began finding Coppers
IMG_7186.JPG
This Autumnal emergence is very exciting indeed
IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG
Most of the Coppers I saw today (26 in total) were newly minted
IMG_7235.JPG
Some seem to glow with a fire all their own
IMG_7228.JPG
I saw several newly emerged females and watched a male pester another male into having a fight with him
IMG_7220.JPG
The one that was minding his own business nectaring ended up shimmying his wings at his opponent who eventually got the message and flew off.

I also saw 3 Clouded Yellows and a Speckled Wood
IMG_7267.JPG
I'm pretty sure this is the first one I've ever found at Dungeness. Quiet why it was on the beach by the Power Station I can't guess!

Still, the Coppers don't mind it there
IMG_7257.JPG
My favourite Copper of the day was this stunner
IMG_7252.JPG
Drop dead gorgeous!

So a real bonus fourth brood at Copperness
IMG_7244.JPG
Marvellous!
IMG_7218.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

There is a such a subtle range of variation Hoggers that it's difficult to judge which one is 'normal' :D Some were definitely at the back of the queue when it came to getting their markings painted on :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

More lovely glowing Coppers, Hoggers. I swear they must be internally lit when they are fresh! :) I wonder how long this emergence will carry on?

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Keep those Coppers coming, Hoggers. We love 'em and in a month we'll all be yearning for the first specimens of 2018.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

14th October : Dungeness : T-Shirt and Sun Hat the order of the day. Must have been 19C and the Coppers were loving it!
IMG_7362.JPG
My Copper-O-Meter registered 42
IMG_7312.JPG
This has been an outstanding fourth brood
IMG_7321.JPG
I saw Red Admiral, Peacock, Painted Lady and Clouded Yellow too but Coppers are the most plentiful butterfly now at Copperness

This female interested me
IMG_7305.JPG
Coppery pixels outnumbering the blue
IMG_7297.JPG
I can't recall having seen this before
IMG_7380.JPG
I've noticed the number of individuals this brood with reduced spotting
IMG_7336.JPG
IMG_7361.JPG
I came upon a male with magnificent blue badges but only managed this photo before he whizzed away
IMG_7371.JPG
Another fine day is forecast for tomorrow
IMG_7339.JPG
I can't wait!

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Hoggers,
Some interesting individuals there Hoggers ,the one with the Copper marks above the hindwing band is similar to one I found at Dungie today
as well .can,t make my mind up whether its the same one as yours, very unusual ! There is a description in the Abberations thread
that sort of fits the bill ,as AB; Cupreopuncta ,but unfortunately no pics !
I agree that the fourth brood has been excellent,i too have seen many Blue Spots, and reduced spotted individuals,still some beauties on the wing ,may even have another look myself tomorrow !
Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Allan, "Cupreopunctata" certainly sounds right - a definite first for me!

Brian, an old school friend, came down this weekend from Norfolk. He said he'd never seen a Clouded Yellow before : I said I knew how to put that right!

We arrived at Dungeness in strong sunshine but it was much cooler and breezier than yesterday. There were no Cloudies to be seen at first so we turned our attention to the butterfly that gives Dungeness its real attraction
IMG_7385.JPG
We counted 28 in all
IMG_7390.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
And I was delighted to find a mating pair
IMG_7439.JPG
The male looks to be at least 2 weeks old so he's hung on in there and beaten all the younger males to the prize. This is the first mating pair I've found since May.

I think Brian began to suspect I'd forgotten about the Cloudies, so we set off to look in the best place for them (along the power station wall) and upon arrival there was his first ever Clouded Yellow
IMG_7441.JPG
Which was soon joined by a second
IMG_7450.JPG
We followed one of these butterflies around the wall then bumped in to two fellow Butterfly enthusiasts photographing the Cloudie. We got to chatting about butterflies, Dungeness and Small Coppers in particular and soon we realised that this was the first meeting of UKButterflies' own EssexBuzzard and Hoggers!

It was great to meet you EssexB and I hope you managed to find plenty of Coppers
IMG_7424.JPG
IMG_7417.JPG
Brian had to be getting home so we went on our way with very fond memories of an excellent morning at Copperness
IMG_7395.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”