Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Katrina

Post by bugboy »

Katrina wrote:I went to Mill Hill at about 3pm today. I saw in rather dodgy weather Walls, Meadow Browns, Common Blues, a White and a Small Copper.
I was there in the morning Katrina (left about 1). Saw a good range of species, mostly hiding from the wind at the base of the steep slope.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks James, I think the Peacock saved the day photography wise.

Thanks Bugboy, sorry to have missed you I should have got out sooner. The bottom of the slope is where I found most too.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just seen your Peacock shot Katrina, it's quite Perfect :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Goldie, the Peacock was perfect, now if only I could train them to sit on flowers on command.

Katrina

Nymans

Post by Katrina »

Following reading about large numbers of Red Admirals at Nymans Gardens on Sunday on the Sussex Butterfly Website myself and a friend decided to go today. We saw a total of 43 Red Admirals including 3 bialbatas , 2 Peacocks and 2 Commas.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2265.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2263.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2264.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2274.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

I envy you Katrina, the sun never quite reached me today, although I was right on the edge of the cloud.
Your images suggest it could be Spring !.

Trevor.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I was lucky with the weather for a change, grey when I left home and it turned into t-shirt weather at Nymans.

David M

Post by David M »

That's a great return for a late October day, Katrina.

We'll all be mesmerised by such figures in 2-3 weeks time so well done for getting a last 'show' in before the season ends!

millerd

Post by millerd »

A nice selection and excellent numbers of Red Admirals, Katrina. They are very fond of mahonia flowers (second photo) - I've seen them on this late-flowering shrub into December. That Comma looks quite distinctively marked too.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

43 Red Admirals is a remarkable count Katrina, I thought I was doing well with 8 or 9 today! :shock: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I saw my first butterfly of the year a week ago (a Peacock)
Today I went to Mill Hill and it was a pleasure to meet Jonathon doing a transect.
I saw multiple Peacocks (including 3 in a skyward spiral) , Brimstones , 2 Small Whites and a brief sighting of a Grizzled Skipper.
What a relief spring is finally here.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2291.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That Grizzlie definitely means Spring in my book: lovely to see it. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Dave,
Your orange-tips were lovely to see too :D
Katrina

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's a real relief that spring has finally arrived, Katrina, and great that you found the Grizzled Skipper :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Katrina, what I wouldn't give to see a Grizzled Skipper :mrgreen: :mrgreen: never seen one yet, I must rectify that this year if possible, great find :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news Katrina spring is finally here :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Maximus, a bit of luck in finding it.
Thanks Goldie, they are pretty butterflies and well worth going to see.
Thanks Wurzel, Good indeed :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

That Grizzled Skipper was a great find, and possibly early for this season.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

We've barely started seeing the adult hibernators and already the next wave of emergents are appearing, this is going to be a crazy spring I think! :mrgreen: for the Grizzlie :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Well, I wasn't expecting Grizzled Skippers for at least another week....maybe longer!

Seems like spring is definitely underway.

Great sighting, Katrina. Probably the best of the year so far on here!

Return to “Personal Diaries”