Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry Trevor I missed you out when I did my last set of replies, that's the wonders/dangers of vino :oops: It has been a good Hairstreak year, I wonder if that's been anything to do with the early start to the season? Mind you 22 Brostreaks in a week isn't really good, it's actually pretty awesome :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots of the Brown Hairstreaks, Wurzel :D However, if queueing (as described in your blog) became the norm I would give up butterflying and take up stamp collecting :(

Mike

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, just catching up on my posts :D I'm glad you got your Hair Streak shots and there fantastic especially the one with the open wings :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I wasn't lucky this year but I did get my first WHS shots which was brill!!! :D Next year I'll cover Gait Barrow and the South for BHS :lol: A bit of good news though, they were seen at GB on the 2nd Sept ( just wish I'd known) also I've heard a second brood DOB was seen , not sure if at GB yet but hope fully it was. :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D It was the first time I've experienced it :? Hopefully it was just because there were two separate groups on a trip on the same day and it was good in that it made me work that little bit harder to find my own which I did...but more of that later :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D I think it was Karma pay back for taking my wife to see her friend in Oxford 8) Didn't you also get a Helice Cloudy this year :mrgreen: ...if so that would make the year mighty fine in my book :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, yes I'd a pretty good year this year I'm highly satisfied, :D I got the shots of the Hellice Cloudy whilst in Kent, that made my year :D Also got my first decent shot's of the Large Heath, before that I'd got them flying in the distance :lol: I hope the weather stays warmish because I'm still getting Butterflies in the garden, it's been a great September here in the North. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D It's not been too bad down this way but generally while I'm at work or doing chores :roll: Still hoping for a late flutter to pay off with a Cloudy, fingers crossed :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 05-08-2017 Part 2

...The cloud was really starting to thicken and it seemed like the threatened shower was definitely in the offing so my plan of attack was get back to the car, sit it out and then have a proper look round on my own as by now the masses were dissolving. On the way I bumped into a couple that had missed all the commotion earlier. They were certainly putting in the work checking the bushes thoroughly so I said if I found anything further along I’d give them a holler. Which I did a few moments later. As I’d rounded the far end of the hedge to walk back along the road/track to the car I’d again spotted an orange leaf that looked out of place. This time it was a lovely fresh female but she was playing hard to get being perched quite high up and set back a little from the edge of hedge. She also liked to hide behind Bramble buds so most of my shots she looks like a disembodied pair of wings. I was just saying that I was going to head off and wishing them luck when the heavens opened and the girls screeching legged it back to the car to escape the downpour.
DSC_1098 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1125 - Copy.JPG
After the downpour had passed we explored the area noting a few blues and a Comma round the back area as well as fly-by whites and plenty of Meadow Browns and hedge Browns. It was still a bit early it seemed for the Holly Blues as we didn’t see a single one. I was just thinking of calling it a day when I got a real surprise. There was a little brown blur. The flight looked a little like a Skipper; veering off in one direction before jinking back to another, but it was the wrong colour for Smessex? Cautiously I approached and I could see it was a Dingy, in August, my first ever second brood Dingy. I knew that it happened but seeing something for the first time always makes it more special.
DSC_1134 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1160 - Copy.JPG
This seemed like as good a time as any to make the move home, leave on a high.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

There's nothing dingy about that Dingy, I've never seen a second brood Dingy.
Lovely golden Brown Hairstreak too. Mint females evaded me this year.

I'm visiting Wiltshire on the 9th Oct. How are the Butterflies over that way ?.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Things seem to have curtailed over this way - there's still the Vanessids and the odd Small Copper and White about but things have really quietened down - I'm hoping for a a few days of good weather mid October for a final flurry but the season looks to be finishing early this year... :?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Things have fizzled out around my local patch too.. apart from a few Red Admirals, Commas, Specklies and a few Whites, I have seen nothing else for more than a week now.
Mind you, that is quite normal for my local patch here.

Cheers,

Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

A second brood Dingy is always a great find, seems they were widespread this year with a couple seen over here too. My shot was terrible compared to yours though!

If feels a bit odd having autumn arrive on time this year, I’ve been getting used to summer lasting until the end of October.

Cheers

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D I've gotten used to seeing butterflies right up to November so for the season to end so abruptly is a bit of a shock to the system though hopefully it's just a blip in the weather :?
Cheers Rex :D I know what you mean but there might be the odd few days of good butterfly weather still to come, hopefully it'll arrive at weekends so I can make the most of it, fingers crossed :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: about your Brown HS shots :D hope fully next year I'll get them. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I have gotten slightly complacent about Brown Hairstreaks as I'm lucky enough to live very close to one great site and near to a second as well, however the major fly in the ointment is the poor weather we seem to have had over the last couple of summers :? But pick your day and site correctly and they'll be in the bag :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Really lovely Brown Hairstreaks at Shipton, Wurzel - and then a second brood Dingy! I've seen them occasionally at Denbies (not this year) but have never managed a photo, so lots of :mrgreen: for that one. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Shipton threw up a couple of surprises this year but that was the best one, another 'not quite as suprising but still mildly so' to follow at a (much :oops: ) later date...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey I could at least be up to date with the Calendar... :roll: :oops:

October 2017

A time of mellow fruitfulness, fingers crossed...
10 Oct.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

That calendar shot is jus................ I've run out words. :mrgreen: :D 8)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WOW!! Wurzel. if I could get a shot like the one on your calendar of a Brown Hair Streak I'd be in heaven! Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Though I've traded a few :mrgreen: back in your direction, so many in fact I think I'm now Overdrawn in that department :shock: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D Next season Goldie, right place at the right time and you'll have one of equal measure I'm sure :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”