Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:Aw schucks Rex :oops: I reckon your ending the season on a high is good karma for the time missed earlier in the season :D Good to see things are back on track :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, I had a pretty good year and didn't miss much. My only real disappointments were missing the Dukes and Silver Studs yet again. And although I saw some Purple Emperors I failed to get a decent photo. Hopefully I'll catch up with those next year. :D
John W wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote:As others enjoyed taking photos of the star attraction my eye was drawn to a couple of very shiny and new Small Coppers.
Hi James, it's always good to see a fresh Small Copper! Were they in a particular part of the field?

Cheers
John
Hi John, great to see you made it for over the QoS, I really liked your photos as well. Yes the fresh Coppers were in the same area near the bonfire. As you say it's always good to see a fresh Small Copper and not try and get a photo. :D
Pauline wrote:That's one stunning butterfly James - well spotted :D
Hi Pauline, You’re most kind I guess you're referring to the Adonis ab? Yes it was so unusual and beautiful I tried very hard to get a decent photo. I'm quite pleased with what I got, and very surprised to learn it was not only an ab. Krodeli but also a partial gynandromorph!
trevor wrote:I agree with others, James, you are ending the season in style.
A few Long Tailed Blues would end it nicely, ( remember last year when we were with Katrina ? ).
Or maybe the Queen of Spain Frit. was our end of season treat for this year.

Hope to see you around,
Trevor.
Hello Trevor, thank you, yes I've had a really great couple of weeks. How could I forget our fabulous time at Tidemills last year, it's always great to have a shared sighting like that with friends. If the QoS is to be our last treat of the year then that's a fabulous way to finish. Although I'm thinking think there could easily be a few more surprises before it really is all over.
Gary.N wrote:Stunning Ab. James and thanks for telling me about the QoS. You got some great shots of them. :D

Gary
Thank you Gary :D It was a bit special! I am so pleased that you made it over to Piddinghoe for the QoS, knowing you I'm sure that you took a few great shots yourself. :D

Wasp Spiders and Wart-biters.

With many butterflies now looking past their best I joined Badgerbob yesterday to continue our quest to find Britain’s rarest and most spectacular Cricket - the amazing Wart-biter. Upon arrival we were impressed yet again by the huge number of Wasp Spiders.

After failing to locate any Wart-biters on our previous trip (we were rather distracted by a rather special Adonis ab!) we didn't know if we would do any better this time. With so many Wasp Spiders about I couldn't resist taking a shot or two, while I was busy with that Bob started to look for the main target.
It only took him about of 20 seconds before he disturbed one and he called me over. We then had a fantastic encounter with this amazing insect with possibly the best camouflage I've ever seen! Once in the grass it becomes all but invisible.

I've been wanting to see a Wart-biter Cricket for decades but I never expected my first encounter to be so amazing. Thank you for the invite Bob!

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's an impressive insect, James. It would be great to come across one of those. :) The spider is a magnificent beastie too - are they spreading? I found one locally for the first time round here this year and it was huge.

Great shots of the QoS too - definitely the same two as I saw on Friday. The Adonis ab. is also a striking butterfly. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff again Rex, those Wartbiters are impressively named and impressive to look at :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:That's an impressive insect, James. It would be great to come across one of those. :) The spider is a magnificent beastie too - are they spreading? I found one locally for the first time round here this year and it was huge.

Great shots of the QoS too - definitely the same two as I saw on Friday. The Adonis ab. is also a striking butterfly. :)

Dave
Hi Dave, well there's a lot of great conservation work going on and that is helping the Wartbiters increase their range. Their preferred habitat is chalk downland so I'm in just the right area to look for them. As for the Wasp Spiders I have never seen so many about before! I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are increasing their range. Perhaps they'll spread further northwards from their strongholds here in the south.
Wurzel wrote:Cracking stuff again Rex, those Wartbiters are impressively named and impressive to look at :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
They certainly are Wurzel, they are just as impressive as I imagined they would be. Their camouflage is absolutely superb. When they stay motionless amongst the grass they are incredibly difficult to see. I hope to see them again in the future.

Many thanks for your comments.

James

David M

Post by David M »

That's a mightily impressive cricket, James, and the wasp spiders are amazing too. I usually see quite a few of the latter in my neck of the woods so I will keep a sharp eye out for them over the next few weeks.

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:That's a mightily impressive cricket, James, and the wasp spiders are amazing too. I usually see quite a few of the latter in my neck of the woods so I will keep a sharp eye out for them over the next few weeks.
Thank you David, Yes I was delighted to see one at last and to get a few photos of one was a real treat. I doubt you'll have much trouble finding Wasp Spiders this year!

Long distance bird and then back to the wall.

With the weather of late being on the wet and windy side of Autumnal my butterflying activates have been very limited. So upon learning that a Baird's Sandpiper had been blown all the way over form the U.S.A and was giving great views locally I was keen to see the little fellow for myself.

It wasn't until yesterday morning that a brief window of reasonable weather gave me the opportunity to go looking for 3rd brood Wall Browns. I didn't have to look very hard before I saw my first one on the path ahead. I spent a very pleasant morning watching and photographing these males. The female I was after didn't materialise but I suspect it won't be long before some begin to emerge.

Thaks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Walls James, were they at High & Over?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great set of photos James, we don't see many Wall's round here so when we do it's fantastic, but they're always so quick, your Wall's looked to have posed for you. :lol: Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:Lovely Walls James, were they at High & Over?
Thank you Paul :D indeed they were, with better weather forecast for next week I'm hoping there's more to come.

Butterflysaurus rex

Goldie M wrote:Great set of photos James, we don't see many Wall's round here so when we do it's fantastic, but they're always so quick, your Wall's looked to have posed for you. :lol: Goldie :D
Hello Goldie, they are without doubt one of the trickiest butterflies to photograph. So sensitive to both noise and movement they can quickly have you tearing your hair out. Lots of patience seems to be the only way, especially if you're using a macro lens like me!

Thanks for the kind comment :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:
Thank you Paul :D indeed they were, with better weather forecast for next week I'm hoping there's more to come.
I keep hearing about (and seeing pictures from) that place from you Trevor and Badger but I've never explored myself. I have loosely pencilled in a visit this coming weekend but the weather looks decidedly iffy at the moment, so if that fails perhaps next week. As luck would have it I have 3 days off next week, fingers crossed we get a good week of weather :)

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:
I keep hearing about (and seeing pictures from) that place from you Trevor and Badger but I've never explored myself. I have loosely pencilled in a visit this coming weekend but the weather looks decidedly iffy at the moment, so if that fails perhaps next week. As luck would have it I have 3 days off next week, fingers crossed we get a good week of weather :)
It is a very long walk from the train station though. It would probably be worth getting the bus from there. I'll PM you some details before the weekend.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

bugboy wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote: Thank you Paul :D indeed they were, with better weather forecast for next week I'm hoping there's more to come.
It is a very long walk from the train station though. It would probably be worth getting the bus from there. I'll PM you some details before the weekend.
Thanks James. Yes I had noticed a bus stop at the car park and that was going to be my intended method :)

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:
bugboy wrote:
Thanks James. Yes I had noticed a bus stop at the car park and that was going to be my intended method :)
There is another way that might be easier, I'll send the details and you can decide from there. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Walls but they kinda got overshadowed by the Baird's - what a cracking wader :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Lovely Walls but they kinda got overshadowed by the Baird's - what a cracking wader :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, it was a cracking little bird and a real long distance traveller!

The call of the Wall.

Although I enjoyed watching the antics of some 3rd brood male Wall last week I failed to see any females - so I vowed to return in a few days in the hope that some had emerged. Luck was on my side as an unexpected gap in my diary popped up yesterday, with the weather looking decent I took my chance and went looking. It turned out to be a very enjoyable day, I'd not been there for long when I saw bugboy approaching. It was already getting very warm and the Wall responded by being almost impossible to approach, however with huge reserves of patience/insanity and sheer luck (especially on my part) we both managed to get some shots. I saw about 7 females and the males were well into double figures - with quite a few fresh ones showing that both male and female Wall are still emerging. It was also really nice of Badgerbob to drop by and show Paul and I a Wall egg he had been monitoring - cheers Bob.

Females and egg

Males

We also saw a few Peacocks busily feeding up for hibernation.

Another great day in great company.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the female Wall, James. I'll be back at H&O on Friday !.
Glad that Bugboy had a worthwhile trip.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Walls were nowhere near being overshadowed today Rex - that female is a beaut, so fresh - I haven't seen a female Wall this year :shock: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You DID get the day posted before me :shock: Thanks for the tour, I can see the attraction now :)

David M

Post by David M »

You were rewarded for your admirable perseverance, James. That's a beautiful female Wall Brown and I suppose with Badger Bob around, the likelihood of finding an early stage was approaching 100%!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”