essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So, in summary, we had a very nice time in Dorset. We went a month earlier than normal (end August), and overall numbers of butterflies were probably slightly lower, which was a little surprising to me. However, in August we normally see Chalkhill and Adonis Blues by the hundred, whereas in July the Chalkhills were only just starting. This was levelled to some extent by much higher numbers of Lulworth Skippers, while Small Skipper and Gatekeepers were abundant, they are usually gone by late August. Clouded Yellows would have emerged by August.

Weather was a typical British mixed bag, so not very different from August. However, there are about two hours a day extra daylight in July! Here are my last couple of pictures from Arne, of Dorset Heath and Dartford warbler, a little grainy I'm afraid in the poor light.
Attachments
P1650396.JPG
P1650382.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow-did someone forgot to tell the weather gods it was a Bank Holiday weekend?
Attachments
P1660692.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

We didn't see as many Chalkhill Blues in Dorset as expected , so on our next day off it was time to put that right. On 26 July, with cloud and light rain spreading across the country, we decided our best chance was to get as far east as possible. The nature reserve at Lydden Temple Ewell is great for downland butterflies and flowers, and we had a great 3 or so hours sunshine, which is more than we would have had anywhere else , before the cloud arrived.

Chalkhill Blues were everywhere, many freshly emerged and warming up in the early sunshine. They made a glorious sight, including the first females, and were feeding on marjoram and chasing each other around.
P1650415.JPG
P1650491.JPG
P1650558.JPG
At rest, the Chalkhills underside is quite as attractive at the upper side;
P1650592.JPG
Lots of lovely Common Blues were present, Esther spotted this beauty;
P1650453.JPG
With so much stuff to see at the bottom, it took some time to start climbing the hill, by the time we did the sun was going. I was not expecting to see Silver-spotted Skippers today, so I was delighted to find several, nice fresh adults, mainly males;
P1650577.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely late summer shots there, Mark. You look to have had a very productive holiday (which seems to be a theme wherever you go!)

Chalkhills & Silver Spotted Skippers are always welcome, but with their presence comes the realisation that things are winding down.

A bittersweet time of year.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Bearing in mind I took these pictures at the end of July when we still had all of August to look forward to, which turned out to be a belter! Cheers David!

Other stuff was seen at Lydden TE. Small Torts were about, as were fresh Brimstones, and I was delighted to see some Walls, as I don't always see them here. Although it was now cloudy, in the sheltered long grass at the top of the slope were several Brown Argus males.
P1650508.JPG
P1650526.JPG
P1650609.JPG

The Gatekeepers were looking worn by late July,
P1650542.JPG
The weather by late morning was turning against us, but no complaints, in a few early hours we had seen hundreds of butterflies. So I'll sign off with a habitat shot, and memories of a great morning in east Kent. :D
Attachments
P1650527.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Chalkhills are lush Essex :D I think when fresh they're more beautiful than their showing cousins :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel. Yes,they truly are beautiful and, thankfully, common in the right places.

A visit to Aston Rowant is one of the highlights of the butterfly calendar-for sheer numbers and variety this place is hard to beat. With the early emergence of Silver-spotted Skippers this year, I decided to come early, at the end of July. An early arrival found the butterflies just waking up on the southern section. Good numbers of Chalkhill Blues were basking, some already showing signs of wear, but most were excellent. I spent some time here at the bottom of the slope, where a wealth of whites, blues, browns and a few fritillaries were enjoyed.
P1650676.JPG
P1650692.JPG
P1650725.JPG

Then, by mid morning, it was time to turn my attention to the SSS. The wind had increased and some dark clouds started to appear, so I made the most of the sunniest spells. Males were about in good numbers, and the first females were present too, they had not reached their peak yet. Mostly in excellent condition,these fantastic little butterflies were a great pleasure to see. After enjoying them, I headed briefly to the much noisier northern section, where I met a couple from Northamptonshire who had never seen an SSS before. I had the pleasure of finding them a male, as well as showing them the best area to look. Early afternoon and time to leave as I had commitments elsewhere, but it had been a great morning. :D
P1650762.JPG
P1650777.JPG
P1650779.JPG
P1650827.JPG
Attachments
P1650757.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Essex :D I saw my Silver-spots early in their season so didn't get to see any females this year, something to remedy next season :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

West Cornwall early August.

I need no excuses to visit west Cornwall, but there were two things in particular I wanted to see this time. The moors and cliff tops clothed with the glorious colour of heather and western gorse, and the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, which are unique in west Cornwall in always producing a second generation in August. Strangely, PBF, which fly slightly earlier, are not known in Cornwall to do so. Remarkably, this second brood is actually larger than the first in good years.

The weather during my holiday was a typical mixed bag, those long, warm dry days earlier in the summer a distant memory. The first day was misty and drizzly, while the second was much brighter but windy. Here are a few pictures from near Lands End. Despite the weather, a glorious setting.
Attachments
P1650925.JPG
P1650917.JPG
P1650900.JPG
P1650860.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The colour from the clifftops is amazing Essex :shock: :D We could do with a few female Walls round this way too :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I missed your posts from Lydden and from Aston Rowant - what a lovely selection from both spots, which I know well. :) And that colourful Cornish clifftop is just astonishing.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots from Cornwall essex, you can almost smell the flowers and the sea from your photos. Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. Yes, even in the mist and drizzle the colour here was spectacular. One of the things I came here for!

The next day, it was time to do a bit of walking on the north coast, between Holywell Bay Perranporth. The area between Holywell and the rather unattractive Penhale army camp has a vast population of Silver-studded Blues in season, but for now I had to make do with Small Copper, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Dark Green Fritillary, Gatekeeper, Grayling and Speckled Wood.
Cornish chough are spreading on this north coast, and a couple were seen.
Holywell bay
Holywell bay
P1650978.JPG
P1650985.JPG
Later, I visited a site near Truro. Unknown to many, the Dorset Heath is also found in Cornwall, though only in a very small area. The marsh valley I visited was being grazed by ponies and the site is also home to other marsh plants like sundews, and also dragonflies. This area contains the only population of Dorset Heath outside Dorset.
Attachments
P1660003.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautifully marked Copper Essex, a proper blue badger :D :mrgreen: So how did Dorset Heath end up in Cornwall - have the populations between been lost or was seed transported there? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It's a good question Wurzel-if only I knew the answer? But if the Cryptic Wood White can find its way to Northern Ireland, anything is possible.

Saturday 5 August. This was the day I had been waiting for. A splendid blue, early start saw us at Kynance Cove first thing. In the sheltered dips and cliff slips, the first of the second generation Spall Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were warming up, wings spread wide, and angled to the sun. Here, they live in much more open populations than woodland sites further east, flying over large areas of habitat, containing sheltered patches of violets used for breeding. Here are some males...
P1660047.JPG
P1660041.JPG
P1660032.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see those SPBF second brooders, Mark. To my knowledge, this doesn't occur in south Wales, though I think I'll make a special effort to go looking for them in their favoured locations near where I live in August next year just to see.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Pearl's essex, they don't appear in the North, no second Broods here, wish there was,Goldie :)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Second brood SPBF have been recorded more widely this year, David. So you never know- certainly worth a look!

Thanks Goldie, they are a treasure, just another reason why Cornwall is so special!

As well as the males, females were warming up in the early sun, and were easier to approach than the males, even this early in the day...
Attachments
P1660036.JPG
P1660025.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice to see that SPBF are doing well in Cornwall, Mark, and lovely shots of the second brood males and females.

Mike

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You don't arf get about! I thought I had a busy year...! Looks like it was all well worth it though :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”