August 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: August 2017

Post by Jack Harrison »

8th August Nairnshire. Finally, Scotch Argus has emerged in numbers. Attachments - click for larger versions.

Typical habitat where up to 10 individuals observed flying when the sun was out so perhaps a total in this small clearing of circa 25. Every one that was checked was a very new male.

They even enjoyed the moisture on the wet road (more of a narrow lane with passing places).

In spite of some comments (perhaps originating from E.B.Ford), Scotch Argus DOES FLY in bright warm but CLOUDY conditions. For those not familiar with the species, it behaves just like a Ringlet (or others of the Brown family) and although only slightly larger than a Ringlet (the two sometimes fly together), Scotch Argus can look quite big in flight.

Earlier in the day, it was amusing to watch this confrontation between summer-plumage Turnstones.

Jack
Attachments
17-08-08-561-ScotchArgus.jpg
17-08-08-427-ScotchArgus.jpg
17-08-08-554-ScotchArgus.jpg
17-08-08-340-Turnstones.jpg
17-08-08-346-Turnstones.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

At the other end of the country, good numbers of second generation Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries now flying in west Cornwall, especially at Kynance Cove.
Attachments
P1660056.JPG
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

saw this handsome fellow at Grafham Water today:
36440086606_4841d0426f_h.jpg
also some less fresh Small Coppers, a Peacock etc.
David M

Post by David M »

Charles Nicol wrote:saw this handsome fellow at Grafham Water today
No Carcassonne trip for you this year, Charles?
David M

Post by David M »

A good selection of species seen at West Williamston (15) in Pembrokeshire today, but female Brown Hairstreaks are yet to start laying eggs, judging by the absence of both adults and eggs!

Large, Small & Green Veined Whites seen, along with Comma, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Peacock, Brown Hairstreak (males), Common Blue, Holly Blue, Hedge Brown, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Speckled Wood & Silver Washed Fritillary.

This unusually marked female Hedge Brown was the most notable sighting of the day:
1.HedgeBrab(1).jpg
peterc

Post by peterc »

A unusual Meadow Brown on my local patch with upper hindwings suffused with white but unfortunately refused to open its wings on settling on the grass.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Meadow Brown Norton Green 10Aug17
Meadow Brown Norton Green 10Aug17
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

peterc wrote:A unusual Meadow Brown on my local patch with upper hindwings suffused with white but unfortunately refused to open its wings on settling on the grass.

ATB

Peter
Looks more like a Gatekeeper to me :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
peterc

Post by peterc »

bugboy wrote:
peterc wrote:A unusual Meadow Brown on my local patch with upper hindwings suffused with white but unfortunately refused to open its wings on settling on the grass.

ATB

Peter
You're right, Paul. Well done for spotting it. I went back to the spot today and saw the butterfly again. Only one of its hindwing uppersides was awash with white.

ATB

Peter
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

peterc wrote:
bugboy wrote:

ATB

Peter
You're right, Paul. Well done for spotting it. I went back to the spot today and saw the butterfly again. Only one of its hindwing uppersides was awash with white.

ATB

Peter
I had a Small Heath similarly marked a few months ago, I think it may be caused during the pupal stage when it is partially caught in a shaft of sunlight as the scales are being formed.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A couple of shots from recent visits to my local patch (Orlestone forest ,Kent). The weathers been pretty naff,here for the last few days,but finally brightened up today,we all went through to Dungeness late afternoon,but although bright ,it was very windy
that said ,still managed a few Browns,a single Small Skipper ,2 Painted Ladies ,2 Small Torts, and 4, 3rd brood Small Coppers, and also 4 Hummingbird Hawks ,and a nice patch of Nationally scarce ,Red Hemp nettle(Galeopsis Angustifolia ) in front of the power station.

Sitting on the step outside the workshop
(joinery workshop ) ,this morning with a cuppa,looked up at the open door ,and noticed (under the middle rail) this very striking spiders web ,which had been highlighted ,with wood dust from the factory ........what incredible creatures they are !
Regards Allan.W.
P1170036.JPG
P1170001.JPG
P1170098.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

That's a great image of the spider's web, Allan. Looks like some kind of science fiction event horizon around a black hole!
DaveO'B

Post by DaveO'B »

2nd brood Dingy Skipper seen on Thursday 10th at Spaunton Quarry, N. Yorkshire. This is quite a rare event for us oop north!

ImageDingy Skipper 7939b by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Dave
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

David M wrote:
a shorter version will begin later this month :)

will endeavour to pack in plenty of papillons and restaurant action 8)

C
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger on 5th August - 2nd brood Dingy Skipper :D
DSC_1160 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Charles Nicol wrote:
David M wrote:
a shorter version will begin later this month :)

will endeavour to pack in plenty of papillons and restaurant action
Thanks for the reassurance, Charles. I rather look forward to my annual late summer 'fix' of papillons and local gastronomic delights from the Aude!
David M

Post by David M »

Pleased to say female Brown Hairstreaks are now on the wing and laying eggs at the main site for this species in Pembrokeshire.

Six were seen in just over an hour in far from ideal conditions - mainly light cloud and 18c temperatures.
1BH3(1).jpg
One individual laid all three of these eggs one after the other:
1Eggsx3(1).jpg
Other species seen were Hedge Brown, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Small Copper, Large White, Green Veined White, Silver Washed Fritillary, Peacock, Red Admiral, Painted Lady....and a Clouded Yellow whilst driving home!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Two short trips to Dungeness today,hoping for a few Small Coppers , early morning for about an hour and twenty minutes
I found 21,including a couple of cracking females,so pleased to see that the third brood so far has really good numbers,i,m amazed after such a poor second brood,and a below average first. One unusual female with reduced markings,and a very "greasy" appearance,both myself and Hoggers have found these from time to time,what causes this greasiness I,m not sure,but it always seems to be on the individuals with reduced markings.
Later in the day ,after a family day out I had another 45 mins at Dungie and recorded 28 ,and five Hummingbird Hawks.
As I was finishing my morning visit I bumped into Hoggers and had a natter,and swapped notes ,good to see him again !
Regards Allan.W.
P1170379.JPG
P1170394.JPG
P1170466.JPG
P1170235.JPG
BeeHappyFlutterBy

Post by BeeHappyFlutterBy »

Great photos everyone :)

Thrilled to have this beauty visiting in August :D
Attachments
IMAGE_Frit.jpg
“It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur.”
— Meridel Le Sueur
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Up on the downs near home yesterday evening,i came across several clusters of roosting Blues,up to thirty at a time, mostly Adonis Blues with,good numbers of Brown Argus, Common Blues and Small Heath,with the odd faded Chalkhill,they always seem to group together in tight little groups. In one area ,about a metre Square I counted 39 insects,including 4 species on one stem of grass. Some were still taking the evenings last rays and sat obligingly with wings open, by seven thirty everything was still,the butterflies also drew unwanted attention
from a huge female Wasp spider ,that was busy rolling a grasshopper,while waiting for another blue. Walking back towards the car I found three
Autumn Ladies Tresses ,quite early for this site,and a sign that summers slowly passing by.
Regards Allan.W.
P1170627.JPG
P1170579.JPG
P1170571.JPG
]
Attachments
P1170622.JPG
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Gorgeous photos, Allan! I've never thought of going butterflying in the evening - it's clearly very productive. I guess it must have been a wonderful experience for you to be there with all those roosting Blues.

I might go to Dungeness one night and see if the Coppers glow in the dark..!

Hoggers

Return to “Sightings”