Dave Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Dave Brown

Post by Wurzel »

Some great birds there Dave -though for me the Dotterel would be the most envy inducing :mrgreen: The Small Coppers are worthy of a few : :mrgreen: mrgreen: too as that is a great ab -radiata I think it's pronounced.
Have a goodun (2017 that is!)

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

The wonders of DNA.

In my update of the 25th December I mentioned a species of Stonechat at Dungeness that had been identified scientifically using DNA from a poo sample.
To cut a long story short, and following queries from a number of birders, the laboratory ran the test again from another collected sample. The outcome this time is that the bird is not the rare species that had been claimed. It is in fact just an odd individual of the common British species of Stonechat.
The laboratory has gone back over its protocols and identified a mix up with a genuine sample of Stejneyers DNA from another bird sample taken in Yorkshire at the same time, leaving a lot of Kent birders disappointed. Still, its better that we get it right and science prevails in the end.

Moving quickly onto a positive note. We have seen our first butterfly of 2017. A Red Admiral on the 21st January near Camber Sands flying in a temperature of only 4 degrees. I can only think that it must have been disturbed from hibernation, perhaps by being in a warm sun trap. Anyway, we were wrapped up in heavy clothing even if the butterfly was not.

Well January is the month when we all we can do is bird watch and dream of warmer times ahead. We have so far resisted temptation to visit a number of long staying rarities like the Blue Rock Thrush in the Cotswold's and the White Billed Diver in Lincolnshire. Staying loyal to Kent though has meant that we have seen very little new from previous updates, with the long staying Ring Necked Duck at Dungeness probably the pick of the bunch. January produced for us of note 2 Iceland Gulls, 5 Taiga Bean Geese, Red Necked Grebe, Long Eared Owl and the usual mix of Caspian Gulls. Otherwise its just look forward to February and hope for better things to come.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Butterfly species Number Two.

Joining our sighting of Red Admiral in January is now Brimstone in February. In fact two Brimstones on the 19th February near Faversham. It was a warm sunny day, although we were still a little surprised to see Brimstone in mid February. What a welcome sight and a good reminder of times to come.

We still have not been for the long staying rarities elsewhere in the country, and Kent has been fairly quite wildlife wise. Due to the cold nights we have still not put our Moth trap out although we are aware that some have started, but with little reward. Birdwise the best bird has been the Pine Bunting near Sittingbourne, although this has tested birders resolve with very few sightings, and then fleeting and distant views. Many birders have waited 3 or 4 hours for just a couple of 10 second glimpses. Not so bad when its warm and sunny in June, but in a cold February a little testing.

The long staying Ring Necked Duck and Long Eared Owl remain at Dungeness RSPB and we are seeing on most visits. Can't say the same of Smew and Bittern which remain very scarce, and where have all the Great White Egrets gone? We see one or two most days but this time of the year there are often up to ten around. We did see 11 Waxwings at Ramsgate on the 5th Feb. Also on the same date we caught up with the two Taiga Bean Geese near Monkton. There are two main populations in Britain. One centered around East Norfolk and the other in Scotland. This year we have seen a few in Kent and Sussex, at the same time as numbers reported in Norfolk have fallen. So presumably this scarce bird has dispersed for some reason this year.
Another bird, the Scaup, has been seen a few times this winter. We saw 5 on the 11th Feb at Dungeness RSPB. In the Nineties we used to see a small flock of about 200 at Dungeness, but for the last 15 years or so it has become less than annual.
The final treat in February has been the presence of up to 3 Iceland Gulls at Dungeness, mainly on the sea around the patch. An area of waste cooling water from the Power Station. Whilst we have seen all three we have yet to get an acceptable photo of any of them.

I attach a couple of photos of the Stonechat at Dungeness that caused all the excitement at Xmas. You can see that it looks nothing like Stonechats normally shown in bird guides, and caused some head scratching when first found. Luckily DNA (finally) sorted it out.

Here is hoping March brings welcome changes.
Little Owl near Dungeness soaking up the sun.
Little Owl near Dungeness soaking up the sun.
This small group of 4 Pink Footed Geese was a welcome sight at Dungeness. A scarce bird here.
This small group of 4 Pink Footed Geese was a welcome sight at Dungeness. A scarce bird here.
Red Necked Grebe at Camber (East Sussex).
Red Necked Grebe at Camber (East Sussex).
A remarkable cold colour Stonechat at Dungeness. Appeared almost black and white in the field.
A remarkable cold colour Stonechat at Dungeness. Appeared almost black and white in the field.
Attachments
A remarkable cold colour Stonechat at Dungeness.
A remarkable cold colour Stonechat at Dungeness.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the birds Dave, believe it or not I've never seen an Owl in England yet except for captured ones, I must take a trip to Dungeness next time I'm in Kent, last year I couldn't get the family motivated and Husband wasn't well, hope fully this year will be better. Goldie :D

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Thanks Goldie. You normally visit Kent in the Summer months and regrettably Dungeness, and indeed most of Kent, is poor for Owls during the Summer.
I will bear you in mind and let you know of any before your next visit. Little Owl and Tawny Owl are present all year but more difficult to find in Summer, whilst Long Eared and Short Eared Owls are Winter visitors.

With still a week or so to go March has been a mixed month. We have seen Comma (maximum of 7 on the 21st), Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell and Brimstone, probably about all you could expect so far, but for us Moths have been disappointing. Our trap remains packed away as we have yet to see a moth flying in the garden. However we have seen Hebrew Character, Common Quaker, Clouded Drab and March Moth at another location.
Its been excellent for plants with Primrose, Wild Garlic, Cuckoo Flower, Lesser Celandine, Early Dog-Violet, Wood Anemone all in flower.

Bird wise very quiet. Two of the Iceland Gulls remain at Dungeness, as does the long staying Ring Necked Duck and Long Eared Owl. A Black Brant (American version of our Brent Goose) seen for a while at Seasalter. Our first Wheatears of the year were present at Dungeness on the 18th March. Our first returning Sandwich Tern was today at Hythe. Chiffchaffs are starting to sing at most woods around here, but still in low numbers. Common Buzzards are displaying everywhere, and in good numbers. Otherwise its pretty much the usual woodland birds for March and little else.
A fine Drake Hooded Merganser caused some initial excitement at Dungeness on the 10 March until one photograph showed a Green ring on its leg, indicating an almost certain escape.

This weekends forecast looks better so maybe a chance of early bird migration and some more butterflies.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave, I'm also there at Christmas but things are very active then more's the pity, I'd love to see the Owl's though when I visit in Summer if possible thanks Goldie :D

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Twice out of Kent.

It's been a while since I updated my diary. To be honest it has been fairly quiet and good wildlife days have been few. We have had one or two really sunny and warm days but in the whole it has been cold with a biting North or North East wind. One notably feature has been the lack of rain with plants suffering bad. In particular the early Orchids. On the odd good day we have seen butterflies with all the expected early ones seen in reasonable numbers.
Small Coppers at Dungeness in particular seem to have done well. They seem to especially like Hoary Cress and on one day last week we counted 23 on a patch about a metre square. We have yet to catch up with Green Hairstreak but will look once the weather turns for the better.
This must sound odd for all those on the West Coast and Scotland who have had some glorious days (18-20 degrees), but believe me temperatures of 9 degrees, and a biting wind making it feel more like 5 degrees, is disappointing in late April, early May.

So why the title, Twice out of Kent. Well the first was a quick dash down to Eastbourne on the 6th April for the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the migrant bird, Blue Rock Thrush. Sounding a bit like an advert for a flash sale, it was available for one day only. Found mid morning by Beachy Head lighthouse it stayed and showed well to all comers. Photos have proved it to be the one that wintered at Stow on the Wold. One or two have muttered that this bird could be an escaped cage bird, but most accept that its credentials look good for the real thing. Even more so when it moved to migation hot spot of Beachy Head for one day only, presuambly on its way back to the Continent.
The other outing was to finally catch up with Spring Speedwell at a well known location in the Breckland. Talk about a plant that is small. Hands and knees job, and with a magnifying glass. 3 or 4 plants were in flower but at a height of only about 20mm, or one inch in old money, this plant is almost impossible to find without help of local knowledge and we had that help. Thanks to a friend who knew where to look this Nationally rare plant was found reasonably quickly allowing more time to ensure the delights of Breckland. On the way we called in at Therfield (near Royston) to catch up with this years wonderful display of Pasque Flowers. Literally hundreds were in full flower. Magnificent site and public too.

I will not list all the things we have seen, just a few highlights. Dungeness has had two White-marked moths this year and we managed to catch up with one. A very rare moth for the South East and most likely a migrant (4th April). Alpine Swift around Sandwich on the 16th April, Cattle Egret at Stodmarsh, also the 16th April. Lesser Yellowlegs at Dungeness 22nd April. Hundreds of green Winged Orchids in flower at Marden Meadow. Crane and Short Eared Owl Dungeness on the 4th May.

I am aware that the Duke of Burgundy have emerged at Bonsai Bank. Something to look forward day on the next suitable day. Also yet to catch up with Pearl Bordered and Dingy Skipper.
Whimbrel adjacent to the RSPB approach track at Dungeness.
Whimbrel adjacent to the RSPB approach track at Dungeness.
Early Purple Orchid near Canterbury
Early Purple Orchid near Canterbury
One of many Small Coppers at Dungeness
One of many Small Coppers at Dungeness
Blue Rock Thrush Beachy Head Lighthouse

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

The Diary comes out of hibernation.

It's nearly 3 months since I updated our diary. We have been so busy doing whats seems very little. In between the gardening and paint brush we have managed to see a lot of wildlife. Too much to update so I will summarize the highlights.

May Highlights.
This has to include a Deaths Head Hawkmoth seen at Dungeness on the 20th. What a magnificent beast. Surely one of moths greatest, if not the best looking. Only the second one we have ever seen. Portland Ribbon Wave was another good moth, this time caught at Ruckinge. All the common butterflies of spring were noted although Grizzled Skipper took a bit of finding. Duke of Burgundy at Bonsai Bank were in good numbers, as was the Small Blue at Kingsdown (98 plus).
Many of the Orchids were early but of concern were the very low numbers of both Early and Late Spider Orchids, presumably badly effected by the almost drought conditions. On the bird front a male Woodchat Shrike at Dungeness on the 12th was appreciated.
Our first two White Legged Damselflies of the year were at Hamstreet on the 29th, followed the next day by a Purple Cloud (moth) at Dungeness.
We ended the month (31st) looking at the very small Forked Spleenwort (plant) near Brenzett as a Red Kite flew over our heads.

June Highlights.
We planned to go and see the Large Blue but events conspired against us. It was either wet, windy, Glastobury Festival or issues on the M25. The southern half of this motorway can seem like a car park at times. It normally only takes one incident to bring it to a standstill. We did however have a very good, no excellent day, on the 7th in the Brecks looking for flowers, under the brillant guidance of a local birder and general wildlife watcher, without whom we would have struggled. Thanks LG.
We saw such goodies as Small Alison, Small Cudweed, Fine-leaved Sandwort, Spanish Catchfly, Yarrow Broomrape, Drooping Broom, Bur-medick, Smooth Rupturewort, Tower Mustard, and Black Spleenwort. We ended the day with Military Orchid. Butterflies were few, but still a great day out.
The bird of the month has to be the Elegant Tern that spent a few days at Pagham Harbour. Our views were distant or in flight, but we can't complain.
All the usual butterflies seen with the Heath Fritillary at Blean probably the best of the bunch. With 5 White Letter Hairstreaks at Warehorne a close second. Having opted out of the Large Blue we also decided against going for Black Hairstreak and Marsh Fritillary.
Moths were generally quiet although we did see our first ever Hornet moth, perched and allowing photographs.

July Highlights (to the 27th).
The month when we nearly all make the effort to see the Purple Emperor. No matter how many we see we keep going back. This time only 3 available at Mark Beech but 3 stonkers, all defending their terrority around the master tree. On this occasion they would not come down, but still worthy of their crown. We also took the plunge (via the M25) on the 8th and made what we thought was a long journey to Durlston Country Park. The last 30 or 40 miles seemed to take forever with all the holiday traffic about. Our target was the Lulworth Skipper, of which we saw 30 plus. A lifer for us, although of course not a rare butterfly, just a journey we have never made at the right time of the year. Also seen were 4 Dark Green Fritillary. Nearby 2 Grayling were at Morden Bog. The 5th only saw 2 Silver Studded Blues at Ashdown Forest. This species seems to be hanging on here but must be of concern. Management of the habitat seems good so not sure what the problem is. Also seen on this date and location was 2 Golden Ringed Dragonflies. One of Britain's most impressive dragonflies.
Locally we managed to find a record count of 16 Willow Emeralds at Kennardington. Only the 2nd year we have seen them there. Hopefully a sign of good numbers ahead.
Bird wise the Bonapartes Gull has returned to Oare Marsh for about its fourth year. Of National interest has been the confirmed breeding of a pair of Black Winged Stilts on the RSPB reserve at Cliffe. The site and news has been well broadcast by the RSPB, who are rightly proud of this record. On the 15th they were joined by a Marsh Sandpiper. We managed to see all on the same pool on the 15th.
For the 2nd time this month it was off patch and to Canvey Island to see the recent colonist, the Southern Migrant Hawker. Much to our surprise we found 26, mostly males, along a ditch nearly a mile in length. Considering this species has only been in Britain for 5 or 6 years this is a good number and signs that they are becoming established. Hopefully they will spread to nearby Kent and Suffolk. In the same ditch was Scarce Emerald Damselfly.
Despite the downturn in weather we ended the period with some excellent moths. In particular Pale Shoulder (mega moth), Tamarisk Peacock, Ringed Border (mega moth), Speckled Footman, Beautiful Marbled, Dotted Footmoth, Dark Crimson Underwing and Shining Marbled (mega moth). None caught by us I hasten to add, but all available to view on the day at Dungeness. Thanks to the excellent team of mothers in the Dungeness and surrounding area this has been one of our best moth periods ever and unlikely to be repeated. Plently of other good moths were on offer including the locally rare Dogs Tooth and Red-tipped Clearwing.
We end this period just as the number of Clouded Yellows and Painted Ladys increase. Hopefully there is still time for the Long Tailed Blue, if only the rain would stop.

Now I have made the effort to update the diary I must down load the photos to help it all make sense.
Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've enjoyed reading about your recent exploits Dave and can only wonder at the range and diversity of sightings :o :mrgreen: I'm now looking forward to seeing a few of the images :)

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Thanks Pauline.
I still have not had time to go through my photos, but I take this opportunity to show photos taken on our trip to the Brecks by our guide and good friend LG. Anyway, he has a far better camera than my bridge camera so they will be of greater quality. These were all taken on the 7th June 2017.
I will only give a general location due to their rarity although most plant enthusiasts will know their exact position.
No butterfly photos this time but plenty to download.
Drooping Broome taken at Lakenheath RSPB
Drooping Broome taken at Lakenheath RSPB
Small Alison (and I mean small,hands and knees job)<br />How Hill.
Small Alison (and I mean small,hands and knees job)
How Hill.
Fine-leaved Sandwort. This took four of us one hour to find. It blended so well into it's environment. Maidscross Hill.
Fine-leaved Sandwort. This took four of us one hour to find. It blended so well into it's environment. Maidscross Hill.
Yarrow Broomrape. One of Britains rarer Broomrapes. Lakenheath.
Yarrow Broomrape. One of Britains rarer Broomrapes. Lakenheath.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

A few photos taken over the last three months. Bearing in mind that Pete feels that the website, left unaltered, probably because of the large amount of photos in Personal Diaries although he does not say, is again nearing the upper limit of files allowed, I have culled them a little. Leaving off Butterfly species that everyone seems to post. i.e. Brimstone, Peacock. I am probabbly guilty as most, especially as I often include photos not of Butterflies but of another wildlife that I hope will be interest. That is why I like Pete's idea of the previous years being loaded onto PDF files and archived.

Well onto this sequence of photographs.
Wall Brown seen at Wye NNR.
Wall Brown seen at Wye NNR.
Golden Ringed Dragonfly. This has to be one of Britains most attractive dragonflies. Seen at Ashdown Forest.
Golden Ringed Dragonfly. This has to be one of Britains most attractive dragonflies. Seen at Ashdown Forest.
Silver Studded Blue seen at Morden Bog (Dorest).
Silver Studded Blue seen at Morden Bog (Dorest).
Lulworth Skipper seen at Durlston Country Park. What a stunning location right by the sea. Nothing better on a warm sunny day.
Lulworth Skipper seen at Durlston Country Park. What a stunning location right by the sea. Nothing better on a warm sunny day.
The returning Bonapartes Gull at Oare Marshes. Where does this American Gull go to during the summer?
The returning Bonapartes Gull at Oare Marshes. Where does this American Gull go to during the summer?
Norfolk Hawker . Taken at Grove Ferry (Kent). They have expanded their range in Kent and are now easily viewable at Grove Ferry NNR.
Norfolk Hawker . Taken at Grove Ferry (Kent). They have expanded their range in Kent and are now easily viewable at Grove Ferry NNR.
Small Red Damselfly at Ashdown Forest. Found around the boggy pools.
Small Red Damselfly at Ashdown Forest. Found around the boggy pools.
Willow Emerald Damselfly. This was one of 16 seen at Kennardington. Only the second year at this site and surely signs of more range expansion.
Willow Emerald Damselfly. This was one of 16 seen at Kennardington. Only the second year at this site and surely signs of more range expansion.
Ringlet at Hamstreet Woods. Always nice to find the first ones of the year.
Ringlet at Hamstreet Woods. Always nice to find the first ones of the year.
Now if Pete's not looking I will start viewing my moth photos for possible uploading :)

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Despite my best of intentions I am finding it increasing difficult to find the time to update my diary. Hence the long gap since the last update in August. We still get out a lot to see wildlife but I am all behind on the decorating.
Anyway enough of the excuses. I suppose the highlight of this period was seeing the Queen of Spain Fritillary at Peacehaven. We only saw one of the two present on the 2 September but that was enough to send us away very happy. We have waited many years to see this species in Britain, having dipped on the last ones near Chichester and not even trying for the previous ones in Suffolk. It was also very pleasing to meet again a certain member, who was on his 6th visit (Neil just couldn't get enough).

It was also pleasing to find that the Sickle-bearing Bush Crickets had survived the winter and were in good numbers at the Wye NNR site. We cast the net a little wider at the area we discovered last year and were rewarded with a record count of 45 individuals on the 26th August 2017. Their prefereed area was basically left untouched from last year and they seem to have responded well. Many thanks to the Warden for his sympathetic management.
Another highlight was the finding of several new colonies of the Willow Emerald Damselfly around the Kennardington / Hamstreet area and one on the edge of Walland Marsh. Considering we found the first 4 Damselflies only a year ago this is a massive expansion. It can't be long before they enter East Sussex. Not only new sites, but in good numbers, with 50 being seen around Kennardington.

We managed 29 Silver Spotted Skippers at Lydden on the 13 August so they appear to have had a good year as we only checked one field out of the three we normally find them in. Just recently Clouded Yellows have appeared in good numbers, together with Red Admirals. We have also seen reasonable numbers of Hummingbird Hawkmoths.

Whilst good moths seemed to have dried up we have managed to see Beautiful Marbled (15th Aug) & Convolvulus Hawkmoth (5th Sept) at Dungeness.
Probably the most satisfying was the Scarce Bordered Straw in our garden trap on the 23rd August.

On the bird front the Wilsons Pharalope at Oare Marsh on several recent dates, and still present as I type this, was probably the best. Although we have maanged to see 3 in Kent over the last 30 years of this rare American bird.
Spoonbill at Dungeness on Dengemarsh.
Spoonbill at Dungeness on Dengemarsh.
Great White Egret from Hanson Hide, Dungeness
Great White Egret from Hanson Hide, Dungeness
Speckled Bush Cricket at Dungeness
Speckled Bush Cricket at Dungeness
Sickle-bearing Bush Cricket at Wye NNR.
Sickle-bearing Bush Cricket at Wye NNR.
White Legged Damselfly at Hamstreet.
White Legged Damselfly at Hamstreet.
Black Darter at Ashdown Forest
Black Darter at Ashdown Forest
Ringed Border (moth) at private site near Bewl Water
Ringed Border (moth) at private site near Bewl Water
Dogs Tooth. Not a particularly rare moth but unusal at Dungeness
Dogs Tooth. Not a particularly rare moth but unusal at Dungeness
Shining Marbled at Dungeness
Shining Marbled at Dungeness
Last edited by dave brown on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Part Two
Queen of Spain Fritillary at Peacehaven
Silver Spotted Skipper, Lydden NNR.
Silver Spotted Skipper, Lydden NNR.
Jersey Tiger at Dungeness. Now increasing in numbers across Southern Britain.
Jersey Tiger at Dungeness. Now increasing in numbers across Southern Britain.
Purple Cloud at Dungeness.
Purple Cloud at Dungeness.
Pale Shoulder at Dungeness. Sorry about the poor photograph but not allowed to take out of the pot.
Pale Shoulder at Dungeness. Sorry about the poor photograph but not allowed to take out of the pot.
This Clouded Yellow was very white on the upperside, almost like a Small White, and could have been Helice.
This Clouded Yellow was very white on the upperside, almost like a Small White, and could have been Helice.
Convolvulus Hawkmoth.
Convolvulus Hawkmoth.

David M

Post by David M »

Looks very much like a helice to me, Dave. Well done...not to mention your other specimens which are all highly desirable....particularly the QoS.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It looks like an Helice to me Dave :D I saw one at Temple Ewell when I was in Kent, my first :D Goldie :D

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

For the first time in many years we did not record a single Butterfly in December. There have been many days of either very cold, or very wet weather here in Kent. We have seen quiet a few bees and other insects but not the hoped for butterfly. We had a few November sightings of Red Admrals and Peacocks but even they seemed difficult after the 19th. A pity because October had been good for us including sightings of Clouded Yellow as follows, 1 at Ashford 02/10, 2 at Oare Marshes 03/10, 1 at Oare Marshes 05/10, 3 at Dungeness 14/10, 1 at Warehorne 15/10, 1 at Dungeness 25/10, 1 at Dungeness 28/10, 1 at Dungeness 31/10 and our final one at Dungeness 05/11. I am assuming that they were all different individuals as they were seen on different areas of the reserves.

We fared better with Moths with our last of the year being Scarce and Mottled Umbers on the 21/12. October was very good for us with Delicate and Plumned Fanfoot 01/10, Merveille du Jour and Mallow on the 17/10, Radfords Flame Shoulder on the 24/10 with a cracking day on the 27/10 producing Oak Rustic, Red Headed Chestnut, Cosmopolitan and Sword Grass. All at Dungeness. A good mix of Dungeness, Kent and British rarities.

Despite our many hours in the field we failed to see many rare birds, but still enjoyed ourselves looking and hoping. We did see the long staying Wilsons Phalarope, (4 times actually between the 03/10 and 22/10) at Oare Marshes. The two Long Billed Dowitchers (Adult and 1st winter) at Oare Marshes, Raddes Warbler at Dungeness 14/10 with another at St. Margarets on the 19/10. Cattle Egret on various dates between the 15/10 and 18/11 at Dungeness.

Other goodies included Dotterel at Dungeness 02/11, Grey Phalarope Dungeness 11/11, Bittern Dungeness 09/12, Red Necked Phalarope Pegwell Bay 16/11, 2 Green Winged Teals Oare Marshes 10/12 (on our 7th attempt for them, boy were they elusive), several Caspian Gulls at Dungeness during December, Ringtail Hen Harrier near Charing 19/11.

One of the features of this winter has been the influx into Britain, especially Southern England, of the Hawfinch. This stunning large finch has the habit of sitting right at the top of trees and surveying the world, often after many hours of going missing. They can be very frustrating, but equally charming, when on view with their large bills matching their large size. Often found near Hornbeams, Beech and Yew, this year has seen dozens at some locations although our biggest group was 12 at Orlestone on the 22/12. An early Christmas present you could say.

It's not all good news with a distinct lack of wintering Geese, winter Swans and winter Ducks like the Smew. It appears that the near Continent has not been cold enough to force them West into Britain. Also of concern is the lack of more common birds such as Lapwings and small passerines. Intensive farming practises do not help but it must surely be more than that. Perhaps lack of breeding habitat plays a part. Nature Reserves alone do not seem able to stem the loss despite the very good work done by both wardens and volunteers.

I have had a few isssues with my bridge camera of late, getting time for a new one, but I do have some photos to download and post in the near future.
Best wishes to all for the New Year and many happy hours of Butterfly watching.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Best wishes to you too, Dave, and thanks for the welcome update.

Surprising how you haven't seen a December butterfly in 2017 given your location, but those birds are fair compensation.

We will look forward to your next instalment.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Happy New Year Dave! the weather in Kent was'n't up to it's usual best when we were there at Christmas so we were in doors a lot, It's good to see your post again and hope we bump into you again in the Summer :D Goldie :D

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

We are back again.

We feel it's about time that we did a few diary entries having had a 9 month rest. Why the rest? Well twofold. Firstly, it's difficult to keep writing entries in a different and interesting manner, and without producing photos of much the same things each year. We are not ones to publish many photos of the same butterfly in different poses as this adds to the repetative nature. We try to add interest to our adventures ensuring that we enjoy and gain a little from our experiences.
Secondly, we have tried to reduce our carbon foot print this year and travelled less often. In a strange twist this was completely thrown into question when our local Council announced planning approval for 6,000 houses. The few gallons that we saved will be small change when the extra estimated local 10,000 daily car journey are made. So much for our efforts to reduce our CO2 and other nasty pollutants.
So what have been our highlights. Firstly it was a bird that made the news in Spring. An American Bittern made landfall at Carlton Marshes in Suffolk. What a super reserve, with ambitions to expand. The Warden and Team were so welcoming, being appreciated by all visiting birders. We ourselves saw the bird after an hour or so, but others were on their 3rd or 4th visit. We tied this trip in with a visit to see Snakeshead Fritillary at Fox Meadow Open Day. Literally thousands were in full flower and a delight to see. A new Plant for us.
Next highlight was our mainly successful attempts to see many of the South East's Clearwings. Anyone with an interest in Moths will know how difficult Clearwings can be to see, needing a lot of effort, a little luck, and sometimes a Pheromone Lure. This year we saw a resonable total, with two, Red-belted Clearwing and Current Clearwing actually in our own garden.
The third highlight was seeing Black Hairstreak in South East England. Thanks to the news released by Neil H, we, and many others, enjoyed what has to be find of the decade for Sussex at Ditchling CP. Judging by the large crowds others thought so too. We had good views of 4 but I know others saw higher numbers. How thay have remained undetected for so long remains a mystery but low numbers, a short flight period, and in a corner of the Park probably rarely visited by Butterfliers probably added to there lack of detection. Earlier we paid a visit nearby to see Club Tailed Dragonflies at Frittleworth. This is the first time we have caught up with this species at this site, and although we could only find 6 they were very much enjoyed by the family.
Fourth highlight was the sight of the Oleander Hawkmoth at Dungeness (photo already posted in the Sightings Forum). Finally the last highlight has to be the Beluga Whale off Gravesend. What an unexpected record, especially for South East England in October. When the news came on my mobile phone it stopped me in my tracks. Surely a hoax I thought. How wrong was I with the finder producing a photograph. A Beluga Whale in the River Thames, less than 50 miles from home. Not on some remote and freezing cold island nearer the Arctic than sunny Kent. What's more it was faithful to a particular stretch of water less than a mile long. So wth patience all visitors obtained decent views and well done to the finder for putting the news out straight away.

to be continued...
Last edited by dave brown on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

David M

Post by David M »

I remember the American bittern, Dave. There have been several off-course migrants this year IIRC, with the rose-coloured Starling being the latest.

Good on you for reducing your carbon footprint. I too have stayed closer to home this year, with only ONE trip into England (as opposed to half a dozen or more in previous years).

I'm sure you're looking forward to more migrant birds over the winter?

I'll read your further reports with interest.

Return to “Personal Diaries”