Butterfly sites in Norfolk

Discussion forum for sightings.
Ian Pratt

Butterfly sites in Norfolk

Post by Ian Pratt »

I am in Norfolk for a few days and would like to know if there are any good butterflies sites now.
Mark Tutton

Re: Butterfly sites in Norfolk

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Ian
I have only ever been for Swallowtail specifically and Strumphaw is the obvious place. But I have also visited How Hill alongside the river Ant which has a delightful wet meadow with a private bird hide too, good dragonflies as well - it is £3 to get in - which makes it quiet and there is also a nice cafe.
Have a good trip
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

If you are near the Broads, then Winterton on Sea is a lovely walk. Say, start at the fishing huts and head north. Should get Grayling, and after a mile, some Dark-green Frillary, before you reach the Holmes gap. Also Small Copper and Small Heath. Perhaps return south along the footpath that runs down the landward side of the Heath. Also good for Odonata and I think all 3 types of Heather. Great fish and chips in the village.

Buxton Heath might still get you a Silver-studded Blue, but they were looking faded 10 days ago apart from one fresh male. It's a few miles west of Buxton village and needs an OS map to locate. Also White Admirals sometimes seen at Woods at top and some rarer flower beetles.

If you are further north, then Kelling Heath for SSB and Burnham Overy Dunes for DGF and Grayling.
Yellow Hairstreak

Post by Yellow Hairstreak »

Hi Ian

Agree with all the above. I have recently seen Dark Green Fritillaries and White Admirals at Holkham, plus Silver Studded Blues at Kelling Heath. Foxley Wood, between Norwich and Fakenham, is a good place to see Silver Washed Fritillaries if you're after those.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Also Holt Country Park car park for Silver washed Fritillaries on the buddleia. Also White Admirals here.

I'm still looking for a reliable site for White letter Hairstreaks.... seemed to have failed at Holkham and Mousehold... worried they are over now.
Yellow Hairstreak

ChrisK wrote:Also Holt Country Park car park for Silver washed Fritillaries on the buddleia. Also White Admirals here.

I'm still looking for a reliable site for White letter Hairstreaks.... seemed to have failed at Holkham and Mousehold... worried they are over now.
I did see a White Letter Hairsteak on Mousehold Heath (near Zaks car park) at the beginning of this month. Despite several more visits (I live close by) I have not seen any more.

Was delighted to see a White Admiral there on the same day. First time I have ever spotted one on the heath.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Wow I've never seen a white admiral there, I live close by too and am up there a lot, thats a great spot..... where did you see it? I saw a couple of brown argus there which I haven't seen there before, and there are lots of pretty common blues just along from the carpark (opposite the ice cream van) with some beautiful females with different markings, I'll have to upload some photos.
Yellow Hairstreak

ChrisK wrote:Wow I've never seen a white admiral there, I live close by too and am up there a lot, thats a great spot..... where did you see it? I saw a couple of brown argus there which I haven't seen there before, and there are lots of pretty common blues just along from the carpark (opposite the ice cream van) with some beautiful females with different markings, I'll have to upload some photos.
It was at the end where Gilman Road meets Mousehold Avenue and flew out of the Woodland into someone's garden. I believe they have been seen before on the heath but very rarely.

Had no time to look for Brown Argus and Common Blues so hope they are sticking around for a bit.

Return to “Sightings”