Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

The Dark Green Fritillary was my main target early this morning.
Fortunately my favourite site for them only involves a short journey.
Numbers seem to have recovered from the poor sightings of 2015/16, but are still
down on five years ago. From my local observations the DGF really suffered last year.
The site near Birling Gap, also hosted just three other species this morning, Small Skipper,
Marbled White and Meadow Brown, all seen in large numbers.

Trevor.
Attachments
Male DGF
Male DGF
Male DGF
Male DGF
Male DGF
Male DGF
Female DGF
Female DGF
Female DGF
Female DGF
Female DGF
Female DGF

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Interesting to here about your local population, the ones at Box Hill has been going from strength to strength these past few years according to the recorders I've bumped into whilst out there.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really nice DGF Trevor, I was pleased to see them this year at Arnside. Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Splendid DGF, Trevor - I particularly like the females with their more varied colours. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

The main pay and display car park at Abbots wood is home to many Oak trees.
in the evening this spot is excellent for watching Purple Hairstreak action in the tree tops.
The hope this morning was that some may be found low down. This quest failed, but my
first male Gatekeepers were seen, surely one of the last new species of the year to emerge.
Commas were flying in impressive numbers, and frequently stopped to bask, after visits to Bramble blossom.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1090528.JPG
P1090529.JPG
P1090530.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking DGFs Trevor :D And a three spot Hedge Brown as well :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps I'll have a look at AA routefinder to find a likely pull in, won't be long!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I have just returned from a holiday in the French Pyrenees.
Not the best Butterfly holiday, it has to be said, but there were some highlights,
more of which later.
On the flight out from Stansted I had a window seat, and with very fine weather
how could my camera stay in the cabin bag ?.
As the plane ( a Boeing 737- 800 ) gained height it was possible to pick out some
recognisable places and features, including the Sussex coast.
The image below shows Worthing, including pier, at bottom left, then Shoreham harbour
towards the middle ( home of November Common Blues and Clouded Yellows, last year )
with Mill Hill nearby. Further up are Hove and Brighton ( pier visible ), then Newhaven and
Tide Mills ( another good Autumn site ) and finally Seaford in the top right hand corner.

Click on image twice for greater detail.

Hope you enjoy,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1090571.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the highlights Trevor :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

On day two of our holiday we were driven to a very misty mountain, where most of the Sunday
morning was spent. With little or no Butterfly activity likely I was fuming at a whole morning
morning being wasted.
The next day, and another draughty mountain top, with light drizzle I took matters into my own hands,
and suggested to our tour leader that I walk down to a lower altitude, to be collected at a point
where it was safe for the mini bus to pull over.
This turned out to be a good decision, and many Butterflies were seen, mostly Ringlets, which never
seemed to stop. As the sun went in at one point a Fritillary landed near some large rocks,and remained
motionless. This turned out to be the shock of the holiday, a high altitude Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
Abbots wood is one thing, but a solo Pearl near the top of a mountain ?.
Another nice surprise awaited further down the steep mountain road when some lively Large Wall Browns
were spotted close to a convenient lay-by. Fortunately I found a very fresh female Large Wall, who
had yet to learn the art of escaping the camera lens, and was content to bask.
Attachments
P1330604.JPG
P1330601.JPG
P1330602.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Large Wall Brown :D :mrgreen: - are they as flighty as their smaller cousins? Looking forward to the next installment.

Have a goodun

Wuzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, Wurzel, The Large Wall has camera escapology down to a fine art.
At last I found my first ever male Brown Hairstreaks today........ 4 of them !. :D

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Having never, to the best of my knowledge, seen a male Brown Hairstreak, this was my main target today.
Reports of male BHS visiting Creeping Thistle flowers at the Knepp estate suggested that a visit
might be worthwhile.
On arrival the magnitude of the search became clear, there were probably millions of Thistle flowers
to choose from, even in a small area. Needle in a haystack came to mind.
After about an hour I saw a very quick Butterfly land on a Thistle, out of the corner of my eye.
My first male BHS was only a few inches away, perched on a Thistle. After many shots I continued
my search, and by early afternoon three more had been photographed.
On the way back to the car I had the pleasure of meeting Matthew Oates, who had successfully
tracked down a female Emperor.

I then continued on to Chiddingfold forest.
Attachments
P1100267.JPG
P1100273.JPG
P1100271.JPG
P1100270.JPG
P1100268.JPG
P1100269.JPG
P1100276.JPG
P1100272.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Brown Hairstreaks Trevor, well done on getting a male :mrgreen: although I suspect this crazy season we're having has a lot to do with it!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Bugboy, success at last !.

Before continuing on to Chiddingfold I called in at the Countryman Inn, near Knepp
for a well earned pint of shandy.
The reason for visiting Chiddingfold forest was a hunch that the Summer brood Wood Whites
may have started. The first Wood White was spotted not far from the road, several more
were seen, all widely scattered throughout the forest, and included two' head to head 'pairs.
The lovely Small Copper was found very close to my home.
Attachments
P1100266.JPG
P1100264.JPG
P1100258.JPG
P1100275.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice Wood Whites, Trevor (Chiddingfold beckons again...), and even more :mrgreen: for the male Brown Hairstreaks. A target for me this year, but I hadn't reckoned on going out before August! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad that you got your male Brostreaks Trevor - they've not even emerged over here in Wiltshire yet, though maybe next week as things are still running ahead of schedule. Males are great, less showy and more subtle than the females, more honey-fied :D I'd forgotten about the 2nd brood Wood Whites :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave & Wurzel,

Finding four male BHS in one day was a great thrill, but I will have to return
for an open wing shot. Those four males kept their wings tight shut the whole time,
perhaps the hot weather had something to do with it.

Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am soooo pleased you eventually found your male Trevor :D I am sorry that Straits only delivered females for you last season so it was something of a relief to read your post :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Pauline. Four in one day !.

A special sight in the Pyrenees, seen in several locations, was mud puddling.
Usually involving a congregation of various Grizzled Skipper types, and Marbled Skippers.
These gatherings often gave the appearance of being something of a social event !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1100174.JPG
P1100172.JPG
P1100171.JPG
P1100168.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up on my posts Trevor, fantastic Brown Hair Streaks, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've been after just seeing one for ages, Goldie
:D

Return to “Personal Diaries”